ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Bill Wyman
[
THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: It Hurts Me too & You Got to Move Return to archive
February 23rd, 2005 10:12 PM
exile I have really been getting into these two songs recently
Great blusey tracks, my favourites at the moment. What do you all think of them?

It Hurts me too ("Jamming with Edward")
You Got to move ("Love you Live" version preferrably or "Sticky fingers" version)

just shows what masters at playing the blues the stones were.
Do you think they have recently lost their blues roots?

Ive yet to find another band that plays the blues as well as these two songs. does anyone know any other great blues tracks by stones or anybody else?
February 23rd, 2005 10:16 PM
mac_daddy that hurts me too on jamming w/ edward is also "pledging my time" dylan sings that...

and the dead do a great reading of the hank williams tune "hurts me too" on europe 72.
February 23rd, 2005 11:02 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
exile wrote:

The song "Blue" from Mick Jagger or "The Storm", both b-sides (well singles CDs or whatever) are great blues

"NY Hustle" is a combination of blues, reggae and pop but the roots are there same in "Oh Nikki" and other tracks
February 23rd, 2005 11:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
Pako Gerte say

Mick is one of the best ugly white folks who can sing the blues babies

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Gerte!

February 23rd, 2005 11:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Also "Standing in the rain" is a nice recent blues sample of Jagger's roots
February 24th, 2005 12:17 AM
jpenn11
quote:
exile wrote:
I have really been getting into these two songs recently
Great blusey tracks, my favourites at the moment. What do you all think of them?

You Got to move ("Love you Live" version preferrably or "Sticky fingers" version)
. . .
Ive yet to find another band that plays the blues as well as these two songs. does anyone know any other great blues tracks by stones or anybody else?

Umm--Elmore James' 1963 version of IHMT is the one to listen to though there is an earlier '50s version that some are partial to. This was originally a Tampa Red tune but I have not heard his version in so long I don't even remember it.

Hound Dog Taylor also did a version of IHMT. Not quite E James, but still good stuff.

Interestingly, when Mick Taylor played YGTM in the late 80s and early 90s, he seemed to oscillate between YGTM and IHMT in the solos. I don't recall whether his '95 official release had this.

I've not heard the Peter Green/John Mayall version of IHMT on A Hard Road Remastered, but the band (Green, Mayall, McVie, Dunbar) did some pretty good stuff in the short time they were together.
February 24th, 2005 01:37 AM
exile I have not heard 'NY Hustle', 'Oh Nikki' or 'Standing in the rain' i will download them, if i can find them.

yes the "The Storm" and "Fancyman Blues" are both fine examples of recent blues I had forgotten about them.

Thanks 'Pako Gerte' for your WISE words of wisdom :-)

[Edited by exile]
February 24th, 2005 08:22 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
exile wrote:
I have not heard 'NY Hustle', 'Oh Nikki' or 'Standing in the rain' i will download them, if i can find them.

Buy "Alfie" the soundtrack
February 24th, 2005 08:32 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl "It Hurts me too" it's one of the most covered blues songs and the most by Elmore James, the following is s sample of who has covered it, I have all of them if someone is interested:

1. Big Bill Broonzy
2. Bob Dylan
3. Buddy Guy
4. Corey Harris
5. Derek and the Dominos
6. Eric Burdon
7. Eric Clapton
8. Foghat
9. Freddy King
10. Hound Dog Taylor
11. Jimbo Ross
12. John Hammond
13. John Mayall (b-side of A Hard Road)
14. Junior Wells
15. Karen Dalton
16. Keb’mo’
17. Kenny Neal
18. Luther Allison
19. Mike Bloomfield
20. Mike Lang & Boogie Express
21. Nicky Hopkins, Ry Cooder etc (Jamming with Edward)
22. Paul Fenton
23. Peter Lampson
24. Snooky Prior
25. Tracy Nelson

Maybe I have some more but not many
February 24th, 2005 08:38 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Allmusic.com gives 174 songs with the title "It Hurts me too"!!!
February 24th, 2005 11:49 AM
voodoopug
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Allmusic.com gives 174 songs with the title "It Hurts me too"!!!

This whole topic reminds me how saddend i was when Aerosmith released a blues album. Not sad that they did it, but sad that the Stones didnt do it first. YEs Yes Yes, i know that most of the early LPs had blues covers on them, but as a mature band, it would have been great to hear. Thinking something along the way of the Stripped Sessions recording of Honest I Do (also found on the Hope Floats SDTK)
February 24th, 2005 03:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The versions of "You gotta Move" I have are:

1. Aerosmith
2. Blue Mama
3. Cassandra Wilson
4. Corey Harris
5. J. Dustin Sommers
6. John Mooney
7. Mississippi Fred McDowell
8. Paul Peña
9. Prince Far I
10. Rev. Gary Davis
11. Sam Cooke
12. The original five Blind Boys of Alabama
13. The not original and more than five Blind Boys of Alabama
14. Tramp

Maybe just one or two more in tapes
February 24th, 2005 04:03 PM
voodoopug
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
The versions of "You gotta Move" I have are:

1. Aerosmith
2. Blue Mama
3. Cassandra Wilson
4. Corey Harris
5. J. Dustin Sommers
6. John Mooney
7. Mississippi Fred McDowell
8. Paul Peña
9. Prince Far I
10. Rev. Gary Davis
11. Sam Cooke
12. The original five Blind Boys of Alabama
13. The not original and more than five Blind Boys of Alabama
14. Tramp

Maybe just one or two more in tapes

Voodoo........missing one????????????? Does Sticky Fingers or Love You Live ring a bell???????

lol

have a good day my friend!
February 24th, 2005 04:12 PM
justinkurian Clapton does 2 versions of IHMT - one is on From The Cradle. The other version was an outtake from the '70s that's found on the Crossroads box set. I happen to like the laid back outtake version.
February 24th, 2005 04:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yes, that version is, by far, better than the one at "From The Cradle", also longer, what slide and Eric's voice there sounds like mine after 10 galons of tequilas!
February 24th, 2005 04:57 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
Voodoo........missing one????????????? Does Sticky Fingers or Love You Live ring a bell???????

Oops! yes, and Mick Taylor's
February 24th, 2005 10:31 PM
Soldatti Aerosmith's version of YGM is the best that I heard so far, Love You Live's version is good too but on Sicky Fingers is like out of place with so many good songs.
February 24th, 2005 11:30 PM
Starbuck exile, you simply must get yourself some elmore james. the man only plays in two keys (D and less commonly E) if memory serves, but he has the most haunting voice and the most haunting slide (a deadly combonation) in the history of recorded music.

well...what are you sitting around reading this post for? get up off your butt and get some elmore!
February 24th, 2005 11:38 PM
exile

(exile reads post by Starbuck then quickly gets up and leaves the house to buy some Elmore James)

Cheers Starbuck I definitely will do thanks for the tip.
February 24th, 2005 11:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
exile wrote:
Does anyone know any other great blues tracks by stones or anybody else?

I think Willie Dixon's has provided great material to be covered by ugly white folks like Mick. Some examples: Backdoor Man, I can't Quit You Baby, Ain't Supertitious, You Shook Me, Little Red Rooster

February 25th, 2005 07:44 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Aerosmith's version of YGM is the best that I heard so far, Love You Live's version is good too but on Sicky Fingers is like out of place with so many good songs.

In my opinion, the Sticky Fingers one is far honest and original.
February 25th, 2005 08:06 AM
Nellcote IMO The Aerosmith version of YGM is too polished.
In addition, I am always stoked when Aerosmith
finds it important to cover songs the Stones have
already done a bang up job handling, as in Walking The Dog..
George Thorogood handled another Elmore tune good in
The Sky is Crying..

For those not familiar with the entire catalog of either
Elmore James or Mississippi Fred McDowell, go out and pickup something by either artist. You will not be dissapointed.
February 25th, 2005 08:19 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
exile wrote:
I have really been getting into these two songs recently

just shows what masters at playing the blues the stones were.

There is a killer version of Five Long Years on Clapton's "From The Cradle", one of the greatest renditions of a blues standard. There are many many others on that disc. A must!
February 25th, 2005 04:06 PM
Starbuck as far as the blues unholy trinity, i would have to say elmore james, muddy waters and willie dixon. willie dixon's "i am the blues" is a perfect starter record.

as for delta blues, i am partial to mississippi john hurt myself, even more so than robert johnson.

February 25th, 2005 05:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl From the 17 versions of You Gotta MOve I listed I think Aerosmith's is the worst, well not the worst the "less better"
February 25th, 2005 05:34 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I don't know which is the best, all are great some so blue, some so deep, some touching, some so stone, but the one by Prince Far I is the most creative as it's a reggae version, in fact the name is When Jah ready you gotta move
February 25th, 2005 06:26 PM
Mikey I may have missed it, but did anyone mention the intrumental version of IHMT on the Layla Box Set.

Just Duane and Eric jamming, trading licks. Awesome!
February 25th, 2005 06:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl That's the one I mentioned as my 5th version in alphabetical order as it is credited to "Derek and The Dominos" the only complaint is it's too short
February 25th, 2005 10:51 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
as for delta blues, i am partial to mississippi john hurt myself, even more so than robert johnson.

Agreed

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood