ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Bill Wyman
[
THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Musicians and Audio fans, I need your input please........From Ian Return to archive
February 23rd, 2005 05:24 AM
IanBillen I was telling my cousin that two people playing the same exact song, with the same exact instrument and tuning, in the same exact enviorment, with the same exact recording equipment will always sound a little, to possibly alot different no matter what.

He claims the human ear would not be able to decipher this. He also claims without knowing nobody would be able to tell whether it was really Keith Richards playing Satisfaction or an average Joe who knew the tune and was playing under the same exact enviorment with the same exact instrument.

I told him this was non-sense. Not only due to technique, (which no one person can truly identically mimic another's style), but also the physical traits of each individual such as finger size and shape, the amount of natural oil on the fingers themselves, the persons own individual stregnth on the cords and their body stucture over all contribute to the persons sound, as well as every little nuisance to their touch on the instrument itself add to their own individual sound.

He claims there would be no difference what-so-ever to the human ear.
Can you please add libb here on what makes two people always sound different and any info. that supports this. I thought this was an interesting subject that deals with music so I decided to post it here on the board.

Thanks for reading,
Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
February 23rd, 2005 06:06 AM
bez85 timing, touch and feel determine a player's style
February 23rd, 2005 08:18 AM
JumpingKentFlash Of course you can hear a difference Ian. I'm with you on this one.
And Keef sounds so very human when he plays. More than anyone I ever heard. He has a very special feel when he plays.
That's one of the reasons I don't like electronic music at all. There's a reason for this: If you use a computer you can, of course, get a human feel. But it's a very lame human feel. When you hear a guitarist, ANY guitarist, you get different tones. Like a string, which can't be bent the same way twice. There's always a difference, even though it's a small one sometimes. Like Keef said: "There's nothing like that human touch". I think what I wrote was exactly what he meant.
February 23rd, 2005 12:08 PM
voodoopug
quote:
IanBillen wrote:
I was telling my cousin that two people playing the same exact song, with the same exact instrument and tuning, in the same exact enviorment, with the same exact recording equipment will always sound a little, to possibly alot different no matter what.

He claims the human ear would not be able to decipher this. He also claims without knowing nobody would be able to tell whether it was really Keith Richards playing Satisfaction or an average Joe who knew the tune and was playing under the same exact enviorment with the same exact instrument.

I told him this was non-sense. Not only due to technique, (which no one person can truly identically mimic another's style), but also the physical traits of each individual such as finger size and shape, the amount of natural oil on the fingers themselves, the persons own individual stregnth on the cords and their body stucture over all contribute to the persons sound, as well as every little nuisance to their touch on the instrument itself add to their own individual sound.

He claims there would be no difference what-so-ever to the human ear.
Can you please add libb here on what makes two people always sound different and any info. that supports this. I thought this was an interesting subject that deals with music so I decided to post it here on the board.

Thanks for reading,
Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]

i agree Ian, even subtle factors such as how old the strings are, playing style, what room the instruments are played in. Many times the artists themselves can never replicate identical sounds, but without the individuals timing, and physical traits, i beleive it is impossible.
February 23rd, 2005 01:25 PM
Jaxx TALENT! playing mechanically vs playing with your soul.there are those that learn to play instruments and learn to play quite well but then there are others with an "inborn" talent. the music those play touches your soul.

heck, brian jones, vs mick taylor vs ronnie wood. the difference in their sound goes beyond their use of different guitars.
February 23rd, 2005 01:29 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
TALENT! playing mechanically vs playing with your soul.there are those that learn to play instruments and learn to play quite well but then there are others with an "inborn" talent. the music those play touches your soul.

heck, brian jones, vs mick taylor vs ronnie wood. the difference in their sound goes beyond their use of different guitars.

exactly what i meant too jaxx, great post!
February 23rd, 2005 01:34 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

I thinks its a function of how many bong hits they did, and how many Sammy Hagar records they have in their collection.
February 23rd, 2005 03:15 PM
voodoopug
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I thinks its a function of how many bong hits they did, and how many Sammy Hagar records they have in their collection.

oh no, please do not say it is so!

February 24th, 2005 02:27 PM
IanBillen
I appreciate your in-put. And my cousin will not get it through his head. So why try anymore.

Ian
February 24th, 2005 08:16 PM
LadyJane
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

And my cousin will not get it through his head. So why try anymore.

Ian

Now you know howe WE feel about the cover of Tattoo You!!

LJ.
February 25th, 2005 01:04 AM
IanBillen
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Now you know howe WE feel about the cover of Tattoo You!!

LJ.

At least I am open to suggestion however. He thinks my side of the story is totaly silly.

Ian
February 25th, 2005 01:06 AM
glencar He knows you well, doesn't he?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood