ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Bill Wyman
[
THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Four Flicks on HIFI. Return to archive
February 22nd, 2005 12:45 PM
JumpingKentFlash I was with my dad at a place called Scala Hifi here in Aarhus today. He had his reciever fixed there. When he had paid the owner for reparing it we asked if we could get a demonstration of a good home theater. "Of course" the owner said. We got a demonstration of a 50" plasma screen from Pioneer and a DVD/CD/Tuner with very good sorround loudspeakers. For the occasion I had brought Four Flicks disc 1. I wanted to hear what "I Can't Turn You Loose" from Cirkus Krone sounded like. And JEEZ LOUISE it sounded awesome. Every instrument was crystal clear. Let me restate that: It was beyond crystal clear!!!! The guitars in particular sounded really awesome.
When I heard Four Flicks a couple of times after I got it back in 2003, and when the first amazement over the sheer fact that I actually got it, had died out a little, I was actually a tad disappointed over the way it was mixed. It could have been done better, with clearer sound. Well, that's what I thought back then.
But now.............Now I see that it was actually mixed to perfection. You just need to have the right equipment to play it on. A recommendation: If you don't have a hifi stereo back home, try to take a Four Flicks disc down to a hifi store and get a demonstration on a good hifi home theater set. I guarantee you that you won't get disappointed.
Four Flicks now rules even more. When I win the lottery (And if there's any money left from buying Villa Nellcõte), I will treat myself with a stereo like that. Oh my God I'm flying high over this right now!!!!
February 22nd, 2005 02:12 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
I was with my dad at a place called Scala Hifi here in Aarhus today. He had his reciever fixed there. When he had paid the owner for reparing it we asked if we could get a demonstration of a good home theater. "Of course" the owner said. We got a demonstration of a 50" plasma screen from Pioneer and a DVD/CD/Tuner with very good sorround loudspeakers. For the occasion I had brought Four Flicks disc 1. I wanted to hear what "I Can't Turn You Loose" from Cirkus Krone sounded like. And JEEZ LOUISE it sounded awesome. Every instrument was crystal clear. Let me restate that: It was beyond crystal clear!!!! The guitars in particular sounded really awesome.
When I heard Four Flicks a couple of times after I got it back in 2003, and when the first amazement over the sheer fact that I actually got it, had died out a little, I was actually a tad disappointed over the way it was mixed. It could have been done better, with clearer sound. Well, that's what I thought back then.
But now.............Now I see that it was actually mixed to perfection. You just need to have the right equipment to play it on. A recommendation: If you don't have a hifi stereo back home, try to take a Four Flicks disc down to a hifi store and get a demonstration on a good hifi home theater set. I guarantee you that you won't get disappointed.
Four Flicks now rules even more. When I win the lottery (And if there's any money left from buying Villa Nellcõte), I will treat myself with a stereo like that. Oh my God I'm flying high over this right now!!!!

I just had it blasting a few days ago through my Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD into my Sony5.1 Digital Receiver and into my Bose AM-12 Speakers and it truly is mixed great. The key is to make sure to use a fiber optic audio cable into a digital receiver as opposed to a standard RCA style cable to really get the channel separation. It does not sound as well mixed, or even close for that matter, through my bedroom Stereo Receiver (only two chanells, left and right, no rear, center, or sub)

February 22nd, 2005 07:25 PM
JumpingKentFlash Do you also feel that even concert DVDs should be in normal stereo rather than 5.1 sorround? I do. The sorround sound compromises the music whereas stereo doesn't.
February 22nd, 2005 08:51 PM
Soldatti The DVD sounds amazing with a good 5.1 sound system but the mix is a let down on many songs, the damm piano is very loud and Ronnie is buried on some cuts (Olympia).
February 22nd, 2005 10:14 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Do you also feel that even concert DVDs should be in normal stereo rather than 5.1 sorround? I do. The sorround sound compromises the music whereas stereo doesn't.

You are incorrect. Dolby Digital or better is the more advanced technology and does not compromise music. Stereo sound with DVD's, specifically concert DVD's went out with powdered wigs. The true way to optimize todays dvd releases is to use the technology they were produced for, 5.1 digital.
February 22nd, 2005 11:47 PM
JumpingKentFlash I disagree along with a huge mass of hifi nerds. Music is supposed to be in stereo or maybe 3-stereo. The sorround thing is just a lame attempt of getting some echo and audience in on the thing. It's always better with regular stereo, not to mention WAY more dynamic.
February 23rd, 2005 12:50 AM
glencar Bullshit. Surround sound is the way to go. It's like being in the hall.
February 23rd, 2005 06:28 AM
bez85 I'll take stereo or even mono over surround. it's a matter of taste anyway....dig what you dig...
February 23rd, 2005 08:11 AM
JumpingKentFlash Of course we dig what we dig.

It ain't bullshit Glencar. And you do compromise the sound. The rear speakers may add dimension to the whole thing, but it's a fact that when you listen to that, which is inevitable, you can't hear the front speakers as good as you could with normal stereo. Stereo is best.
And for some reason I love stereo through headphones. The sound is diverted very good in those. But it's only good if you don't like dimension. A heads up: Try SF on good headphones. BS is awesome on those.
February 23rd, 2005 06:25 PM
Soldatti
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
I disagree along with a huge mass of hifi nerds. Music is supposed to be in stereo or maybe 3-stereo. The sorround thing is just a lame attempt of getting some echo and audience in on the thing. It's always better with regular stereo, not to mention WAY more dynamic.

I don't agree here, I saw Terminator III on a friend's house and you can hear every damm sound. Amazing experience, I will buy a system like this in the future.
February 23rd, 2005 07:16 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I don't agree here, I saw Terminator III on a friend's house and you can hear every damm sound. Amazing experience, I will buy a system like this in the future.

I agree with you wise one. I will take the Pepsi challenge against Danish Kent with my top of the line stereo and play four flicks on it and then put it in stereo and watch for the collective groan
February 24th, 2005 02:55 AM
JumpingKentFlash
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

But, but, but. Movies always sound great on sorround sound. They're made for it. You don't compromise the sound with a movie (T3 is cool BTW ). Music is made for stereo. Even at concerts it's played in stereo. And you do get the best sound from stereo when it comes to concerts.
February 24th, 2005 11:53 AM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:

But, but, but. Movies always sound great on sorround sound. They're made for it. You don't compromise the sound with a movie (T3 is cool BTW ). Music is made for stereo. Even at concerts it's played in stereo. And you do get the best sound from stereo when it comes to concerts.

my young kent, you have much to learn and experience in top end sound systems.

message from jb:

February 24th, 2005 03:08 PM
JumpingKentFlash Tell JB to fuck a fridge.

Stereo is best for music. 'Nuff said.
February 24th, 2005 03:15 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Tell JB to fuck a fridge.

Stereo is best for music. 'Nuff said.

i gladly passed on your message. He is enraged

from josh: Tell him to not be upset over the inaccurate info he gave...not to take it out on JB
[Edited by voodoopug]
February 24th, 2005 03:27 PM
voodoopug is this better?
February 24th, 2005 03:31 PM
JumpingKentFlash LOL. You guys crack me up.
February 24th, 2005 03:41 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
LOL. You guys crack me up.

Perhaps an apology is in order?????
February 24th, 2005 03:58 PM
JumpingKentFlash Oh give it a rest with that. You should apologize to this. You should apologize to that. NO WAY!!!
February 24th, 2005 04:01 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Oh give it a rest with that. You should apologize to this. You should apologize to that. NO WAY!!!

I thought i had sensed you warming up to the situation and just figured i would ask. I will make sure he gets the message regarding the fridge, but the task you ask him will be very daunting!
February 24th, 2005 05:33 PM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:
Well OK. I take it back. He shouldn't put his dick in the fridge, 'cause it would be a catastrophe if it got any smaller.

Please delete that previous post as the admins will not appreciate a member attacking another persons sexual organs, it is off color, inappropriate and puts us all at risk of being banned from this great site. Asking him to fuck a fridge is ok, because no one really thinks a sane person will do that, but to insult a person's physical traits is unacceptable. You are better than that.
February 25th, 2005 01:15 AM
voodoopug
quote:
JumpingKentFlash wrote:

Yes I am...........

Let's make a deal: I'll remove it when you get a Shidoobee Chat deal with him and me.
[Edited by JumpingKentFlash]

I am required to travel on behalf of my company next week. I will check with your favorite boca lawyer on Friday and do what is in my power to arrange a chat between Florida Josh and Danish Kent.

in the meantime, remove the post, further enraging him will make it harder for me to get him to push aside his Rocks Off Trauma and attempt to speak with you. Josh suffers from many stomach ailments I am told and your hurtfull comments irritate the conditions
February 25th, 2005 08:05 AM
egon [quote]voodoopug wrote:
through my Panasonic Progressive Scan DVD
[img]

what is this progressive scan anyway? my dvd has it as well.
it's for the pictue isn't it and not for sound?
also i heard that your tv needs to be competable?
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood