ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© Bill Wyman
[
THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bob Dylan Attack Modern Bands Return to archive
February 19th, 2005 04:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Bob Dylan Attack Modern Bands

Bob Dylan has launched a withering attack on contemporary rock bands in the programme notes for his latest American tour, reports NME. "I know there are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviours of rock'n'roll and all that, but they are amateurs.

"They don't know where the music comes from," he wrote, adding, “I wouldn't even think about playing music if I was born in these times... I'd probably turn to something like mathematics. That would interest me. Architecture would interest me. Something like that."

As previously reported Dylan’s latest leg of his so-called "Never Ending Tour" opens in Seattle on March 7 and winds up with a five night stint at New York's Beacon Theater, April 25-30.

Meanwhile, Martin Scorsese's two-part Bob Dylan documentary, "No Direction Home", is now likely to air on BBC2 in late September.

Date: 2005-02-18
Ultimateguitar.com
February 19th, 2005 04:46 AM
IanBillen
Wise Words from a Wise Man. Although I would consider making music no matter when I was born and no matter who was out there if it was my true love.

Ian
February 19th, 2005 05:33 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Actually I find it odd in a way. I mean the good shit is still out there, it just doesn't appear in the same places as it used to perhaps...and mass media has a leveling, lowest common denominator effect...but it always did. But IMO, yesterday ain't all that much different from today and tomorrow will be probably be about the same...LOL.
February 19th, 2005 09:11 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Wise Words from a Wise Man. Although I would consider making music no matter when I was born and no matter who was out there if it was my true love.

Ian

I agree. Despite when one might be born, there's no barrier in reaching back through the decades for inspiration.
[Edited by Lazy Bones]
February 19th, 2005 03:21 PM
time is on my side He's just pretty much stating the obvious and saying the music of today sucks. I agree. I also believe the music of today will not have any long lasting significance, influence, or will be listened to by anyone decades later. We're in a holding pattern waiting for something with more meaning to come along. Will it come??? Yes!!! When will that be??? Impossible to say but I do know one thing for sure, the music of today just isn't all that exciting. It sucks.

[Edited by time is on my side]
February 19th, 2005 04:08 PM
Bloozehound In a way I gave up on the "modern rock" scene along time ago because it's just such fickle consumer driven market, nothing worth a shit ever happens anyways, one hit wonderland, just market a few bands and sell records, then start a new trend every 2 years and repeat process...

February 19th, 2005 05:18 PM
T&A there's really no arguing with Dylan here...it's perhaps an overstatement of the obvious, if anything. if ain't tapped into the roots (and almost no modern bands are) - then you ain't tapped in, period.
February 20th, 2005 12:17 PM
edithgrove I remember reading a Charlie Watts interview recently stating that the older he gets, the less he's interested in new music. I think he was referring to jazz in particular, but it seems that the older I get, the more I feel the same. It seems that as time goes on, the more gimmicky kind of schlock keeps coming from the music biz. Even the Stones relied heavily on their "bad behavior" early on to sell records. Since most of the money in this biz, as well as other forms of entertainment, comes from the younger generation, we'll most likely keep seeing the the same old, with just a few truly talented coming our way every now and then.
February 20th, 2005 01:44 PM
Ten Thousand Motels CROSBY SLAMS SPEARS OVER MUSIC CREDENTIALS

Music star DAVID CROSBY has slammed BRITNEY SPEARS over her lack of musical ability.

The 63-year-old singer, who first hit the big time in 1965 with pop group THE BYRDS, views the blonde superstar as merely appealing to young children who are unable to distinguish between talent and image.

The TURN TURN TURN musician says, "She can't sing, write or play an instrument to save her life.

"I think what happens is that, when they get a little older, kids realise that stuff has nothing to do with music.

"That's why we get so many young people at our shows."

18/02/2005 17:51

Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood