ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Somewhere in Germany - 1982
© L. Tobis with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: anthony keidis: stones comment Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th February 2007 09:16 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
texile wrote:

'rock-a-potamos' mumbo jumbo.

Funny!!
15th February 2007 09:27 PM
pdog
quote:
Egbert wrote:

The Minutemen? That's not a sarcastic or smug question mark because I don't know much about the Peppers' pre-Mother's Milk music. I've always thought of the two bands as being somewhat similar though.

The Minutemen were very cool, very lo-fi rock and roll. they were on SST label...
Nothing like The RHCP's...
D. Boon died and Mike Watt went on to make tons of killer music.
i have some old 7 inches of their stuff...
15th February 2007 10:45 PM
Taptrick I like the Chili Peppers. They just have fun:

15th February 2007 10:48 PM
Taptrick I like Frusciante:

15th February 2007 10:52 PM
Taptrick Frusciante can sound downright ridiculous when he does his little solo spots. Some natural range but at times just godawful execution - but like Keith it's all from the heart and something comes across. And in more recent years he has seemed to get some lessons and pulled off some nice bits:

15th February 2007 10:59 PM
Taptrick
Good video that shows how far Frusciante crashed:

16th February 2007 02:17 AM
IanBillen
Yeah,

I like the Chili Peppers and all but lets just cut to the chase here : All Anthony Keitis ever wanted to be was Iggy Pop.

And the comment about them and The next Rolling Stones???

really?..

I didn't know you could possibly mention the two groups in the same breath.

Ian
16th February 2007 02:41 AM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

I like the Chili Peppers and all but lets just cut to the chase here : All Anthony Keitis ever wanted to be was Iggy Pop.

You saw VH1 Behind The Music...
16th February 2007 08:27 AM
Taptrick
you just mentioned them in the same breath in your comment

16th February 2007 08:48 PM
keefjunkie the chilis are the currentelly the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
16th February 2007 09:05 PM
pdog
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
the chilis are the currentelly the greatest rock and roll band in the world.

as long as it's not U2...
16th February 2007 09:46 PM
IanBillen [quote]pdog wrote:

You saw VH1 Behind The Music...

I honesty, no I didn't? Why did he finally just come out with it and finally say that or at least mention he was heavily influenced by Iggy?

If he did, it is ABOUT TIME someone said something. All these people acting as if Anothy Keitis is his own dude, with his own style, is nothing further from the truth. It is over-the-top obvious to anyone who knows about music other than just modern day material. He wants to be Iggy and always has.

Again,

and I like the group as well as the next Joe. I dig "By The Way" the album too and rank it possibly in the top ten to twelve albums of the past five years. Heck it is actually one of my fav's in the past five years. Maybe like top four for me.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
16th February 2007 09:59 PM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

If he did, it is ABOUT TIME someone said something. All these people acting as if Anothy Keitis is his own dude, with his own style, is nothing further from the truth. It is over-the-top obvious to anyone who knows about music other than just modern day material. He wants to be Iggy and always has.

He would be someone! ......anyway! Who are all these people acting like he's his own dude? It's well known he's not his own dude! In Dudeland!
He wants to be Iggy? You sure of that... Besides having a resemblance and trying to look a bit like him, a long time ago, he doesn't sing like him, move like him and his band isn't remotely Stooges sounding, even when they've done Stooges covers...
C'mon.. Give us a quote!
17th February 2007 12:24 AM

He would be someone! ......anyway! Who are all these people acting like he's his own dude? It's well known he's not his own dude! In Dudeland!
He wants to be Iggy? You sure of that... Besides having a resemblance and trying to look a bit like him, a long time ago, he doesn't sing like him, move like him and his band isn't remotely Stooges sounding, even when they've done Stooges covers...
C'mon.. Give us a quote!

He doesn't move like him??? Are we talking about the same two singers.

And he purposely tries to act like him, and does his damndest to continue to resemble him.

Yeah, he would of made it probably.

Hey I like the group. I'm no Chili Peppers nut case but I like them enough.

My point is this: Folks try to give the impression Anthony Keitis is an original. If there was no Iggy Pop, well sure.

But in my book the guy just is too Iggy to be anything original.

As far as sound goes no. Not really. In looks, actions, and stage antics.... all the way. The whole no shirt thing all the time supposeably being his trademark pdog... We KNOW who really deserves that one. Yet everyone acts like it is all his. This is my point.

Ian

17th February 2007 12:59 AM
pdog I've never seen Keidis bleed and almost die onstage, and iggy has zero tattoos, but yeah, itt's like looking at twins...
Are you retarded?
Keidis loves Iggy, like most of the people I know. You said he wanted to be him... That's a stretch, and now you're trying to clean it up a bit, but Jesus... There's dozen, upon dozens of iggy wanna-be's out there... And Keidis, despite major influence of the Igster, is not imitating him.
When did Iggy ever do the psuedo-dance arm moves that Keidis does? Forget it, don't answer, you're way to musically challenged, and I'm getting way to condescending.
17th February 2007 02:53 AM
Chris74 It's very simple:
The Stones have written and performed at least 100 songs for that counts: Every song is better than the whole Chili's legacy.
17th February 2007 03:44 AM
pdog
quote:
Chris74 wrote:
It's very simple:
The Stones have written and performed at least 100 songs for that counts: Every song is better than the whole Chili's legacy.

Not on A Bigger Bang... The sound of a tooth being extracted is beeter than most of that album...
At around 25 years in, The Stones released Stl Wls, Stadium Arcadium is better than that IMO.
17th February 2007 06:31 AM
andrews27 You forgot the main point this year: RCHP not worth shit when it comes to making a double album. (See avatar, left.) The Peppers don't possess the sensibility that produces stylistic continuity; all they have is repetition and ProTools. The picture at the top of this page is more intereting than their whole career. If there's a RCHP official website, post this there.
[Edited by andrews27]
17th February 2007 04:10 PM
Dear Doctor I saw the peppers for the first time last month in dc. I was impressed with the musicianship of the band . Flea and the lead guitarist did some nice jamming. Anthony Kiedis totally tanked. I expected so much more . He came on after a initial jam session and left the stage as the band ended with another jam session.
There is no comparison to him and MIck. Jagger wipes the floor with him. He was pretty much a statue the whole show. He jumped around a little on the last song. The show over all was average. My wife plays the new cd all the time , it is a good rock cd, nothing spectacular, quite redundant. By the Way was better.
also by the way, so was a Bigger Bang
17th February 2007 04:35 PM
fireontheplatter i don't have the time of day to give a rusty fuck what that junky ass idiot has to say about the stones.
i like the peppers, but if that fuckwad is going to say the stones ain't enjoying the process.....he knows where he can stick it.

everybody say ow
17th February 2007 04:45 PM
keefjunkie
quote:
pdog wrote:

as long as it's not U2...

exactly.
17th February 2007 09:01 PM
I've never seen Keidis bleed and almost die onstage, and iggy has zero tattoos, but yeah, itt's like looking at twins...
Are you retarded?
Keidis loves Iggy, like most of the people I know. You said he wanted to be him... That's a stretch, and now you're trying to clean it up a bit, but Jesus... There's dozen, upon dozens of iggy wanna-be's out there... And Keidis, despite major influence of the Igster, is not imitating him.
When did Iggy ever do the psuedo-dance arm moves that Keidis does? Forget it, don't answer, you're way to musically challenged, and I'm getting way to condescending.

pdog,

I have worked with people in Los Angelas who KNOW Keitis PERSONALLY. The audio engineer I interned with in LA,"Elan Trujillo" worked with, and even been out socially with Keitis, Dave Jerden, and the rest.

He stated how influenced Keitis SAID he was by IGGY when me and him had this same conversation.

But I suppose I should take your word for it.

Ian

17th February 2007 10:20 PM
pdog
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

He stated how influenced Keitis SAID he was by IGGY when me and him had this same conversation.

No one questioned influence, you said he acted like him to the point he wanted to be him. That is false. Re-read the stuff you said... I've met Anthony too, a few times... Big fucking deal. Doesn't make me an expert on him. I met Iggy too, only briefly.
18th February 2007 01:31 AM
winter my $.02:

I love the Stones, always have, alway will, but

1. the chili peppers are making better music these days (stadium acradium, and before that, by the way, are amazing albums)

2. at some level, I agree with what Anthony K. said - does anyone on this board really think mick and keith, or mick and anyone for that matter, hang out these days -i dunno, but i seriously doubt it. fuck, keith didn't go to mick's dad's funeral (remember how most of you were whining about it just a short time ago) - the chili peppers still appear to have the bond of a band that is 2 yrs old - the stones do not. In fact, many people here have complained about the fact that mick and keith no longer share the mic together, etc. But when some objective, relatively famous, 3rd party makes a comment that is consistent with how most of us feel, you all get defensive, and attack a band that, like it or not, is on the top of their game.

wintah
18th February 2007 01:43 AM
winter an oberservation -

apparently it's ok to totally trash the stones if you are a member of this board (see repeated posts about ronnie keith's playing, habits, etc. and mick's shiny jackets), but it is not ok to say something noncrital but probably true and less than glorifying about the stones if you are in another band that is in the public spot light

get over yourselves my fellow stones fans . . .
18th February 2007 10:28 AM
Gazza Both your posts are absolutely correct, my friend.
18th February 2007 10:29 AM
crb69 I used to dislike the immature sound of the RHCP for years. I couldn't get into the noisey crap they were producing in the mid 80's; though I wasn't a fan of funk or punk back then. Back then the Stones were IT for me. The Stones will always be the Greatest R&R band in the world for many of us. BUT what I think Anthony is referencing is the fact that the Stones are a machine now, not so much a band that connects together as one. We have seen the differences in newer music with the Stones where you have a Keef influenced track & a Mick song. Streets of Love IMO was a Mick solo song...though ABB had some great collaberations between the Glimmer Twins.

I can't remember the last time I listened to ABB though. The RHCP are infectious and I can't seem to get enough of them because they have a new fresh sound. They are more of a rock band now than a funk band and have gotten me into funk for the first time.

The RHCP have become one of my favorite bands in the last few years. They have really matured musically & intellectually. Ever since Californication they have gotten my attention. Granted, sometimes they are noisey live because they "take chances". You don't see the Stones do too much improv type jams anymore. They have become more of a "well" rehearsed machine. IMO Ronnie's improv work during the Licks tour was mostly sloppy sounding; even his renditions of Sway this past tour made me cringe. John Frusciante's guitar work with the RHCP is amazing and I have only heard the strat scream like that from Hendrix & SRV. I saw them live for the first time last fall and they literally changed my life. They are truly an amazing BAND that feed off of one another 100% of the time. You can't compare the Stones to anyone really, that's why we love them. I just wish they hadn't become so commercial the last few years because frankly, I won't spend another $200+ for a ticket to hear some rich guitarist wing it anymore. Mick & Charlie are the glue holding them together IMO...oh by the way, RHCP ticket prices for ALL seats was $60.

'Nuff said...check out By The Way & Stadium Arcadium by the RHCP.
18th February 2007 02:35 PM
winter
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Both your posts are absolutely correct, my friend.

Thanks much -

18th February 2007 02:45 PM
winter
quote:
crb69 wrote:
I used to dislike the immature sound of the RHCP for years. I couldn't get into the noisey crap they were producing in the mid 80's; though I wasn't a fan of funk or punk back then. Back then the Stones were IT for me. The Stones will always be the Greatest R&R band in the world for many of us. BUT what I think Anthony is referencing is the fact that the Stones are a machine now, not so much a band that connects together as one. We have seen the differences in newer music with the Stones where you have a Keef influenced track & a Mick song. Streets of Love IMO was a Mick solo song...though ABB had some great collaberations between the Glimmer Twins.

I can't remember the last time I listened to ABB though. The RHCP are infectious and I can't seem to get enough of them because they have a new fresh sound. They are more of a rock band now than a funk band and have gotten me into funk for the first time.

The RHCP have become one of my favorite bands in the last few years. They have really matured musically & intellectually. Ever since Californication they have gotten my attention. Granted, sometimes they are noisey live because they "take chances". You don't see the Stones do too much improv type jams anymore. They have become more of a "well" rehearsed machine. IMO Ronnie's improv work during the Licks tour was mostly sloppy sounding; even his renditions of Sway this past tour made me cringe. John Frusciante's guitar work with the RHCP is amazing and I have only heard the strat scream like that from Hendrix & SRV. I saw them live for the first time last fall and they literally changed my life. They are truly an amazing BAND that feed off of one another 100% of the time. You can't compare the Stones to anyone really, that's why we love them. I just wish they hadn't become so commercial the last few years because frankly, I won't spend another $200+ for a ticket to hear some rich guitarist wing it anymore. Mick & Charlie are the glue holding them together IMO...oh by the way, RHCP ticket prices for ALL seats was $60.

'Nuff said...check out By The Way & Stadium Arcadium by the RHCP.

This is exactly how I have come to love the chili's as well. Was never really a fan (never even really cared for blood sugar, although I have now grown to appreciate it), but Californication caught my interest - By the Way blew me away - I never thought they would top it, and they did with a double cd containing 28 songs, 26 of which are very good to excellent.

I love Fusciante's style (in my humble opinion - the most unique and talented guitarist in mainstream music today), and Chad Smith and Flea are no slouches at their instruments. Anthony has no range, but some how he makes it work.

Stones will always be the greatest, but I feel the Chilis are the only band that as been around for 20+ years that is still improving with age - it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up.

wintah
18th February 2007 02:53 PM
pdog Winter, it looks like they will be around for a bit longer. They do have one very Stones-like quality. They overcome death, drug addiction and life's challenges and turn it into that god awful rock and roll....
You hit the nail on the head with all your above posts too.
[Edited by pdog]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)