ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL México March 1, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Aussie tour in doubt !!! (updated 26/2/06 - Aussie tour CONFIRMED!) Return to archive
25th February 2006 05:48 PM
Daethgod Stones tour in doubt

26feb06

THE Rolling Stones' Australian shows are in doubt, promoter Paul Dainty says.

A "last-minute hiccup" could derail the tour, scheduled for April.

Dainty, who has toured the band several times, spent Friday on the phone with the band.

"Things are still very much up in the air," his spokeswoman said.

She said that a formal announcement should be made on Tuesday.

It has been reported that the Stones would appear at Flemington racecourse in early April.

But racecourse business development general manager Rozalee Erceg said this would "definitely not happen".

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,18273934%255E2902,00.html

25th February 2006 06:09 PM
RSRTG Well lets hope they are true to their word and an announcement of either good or bad news is formerly made.
Then I can get on with my life and book for the UK in August.
I reckon its a safe bet to say they wont be touring here.
If they were to tour in April, tickets shouldve gone on sale at least a month ago.
25th February 2006 07:24 PM
Daethgod yer i am so SICK of waiting and even more SICK of no news.

freaking hurry up Dainty and say yes or no.

25th February 2006 07:28 PM
Lazy Bones Bullshit!

You crazy bastards have earned it like everyone else. You guys should pay sky-high ticket prices just like the rest of us!

26th February 2006 04:45 AM
Daethgod anyone know what the last minute hiccup is ?

how can no venue be a 'last minute hiccup' .. we have known for freaking months ...

any ideas ?

26th February 2006 05:56 AM
RSRTG The only idea I have is that they have only just realized that there are actually long-term suffering fans out there waiting for some kind of answer.
I reckon they've known for months that the stones wont be coming to Oz and whether or not they have only just realized it, WE'RE FUCKEN PISSED OFF.
I'll give ya the big tip, I'll be seeing my beloved Stones no matter wot as I dont believe i'll get to see them any time in the future again on our turf and am determined to live my life with no regrets.
It just annoys the absolute fuck out of me that it's only music and its only rock-n-roll but i love it and i love the stones and it should'nt be this difficult to see the band and hear the music I love.
I prey for some kind of miracle for this announcement on Tuesday but I dont like our chances.....I'm off to Wembley and committing myself to some sort of loan to fund it.
FARK!
26th February 2006 06:52 AM
corgi37 No, the deal is this. Money. They said "Yeah, sure, we'll come down for $XXXXX. Then they said "April". Knowing full fucking well what happens in April. They left it too late cause it means jack shit to them.

Mind you, U2 had no problems securing a 50,000 stadium for 2 sold out shows.

Look at it this way. They would have reached agreement back in August. They said they were coming, leaving Dainty to work out the margins. Obviously, the margins were not working out. They obviously (rightly i think) figured a "stripped down" arena tour wouldnt work, not so close to the last stripped down one. Say what you will, "LICKS" arena, unreal as it was, doesnt inspire people to fork out $500+ again, a mere 3 years later, to hear 4 new songs (that no one cares about) and yet again, to see a minimal show. So, ok, its a stadium. Dont fucking tell me Dainty didnt know back in August the perils of doing a stadium show in Oz in April. I mean, come on! He would have said; "Ok, we got the Commonwealth Games, and as you Limeys know, Rugby and Aussie Rules season starts in late March, so we gotta book in early (IE: now) and get the venues"

Stones reply: "Yeah, well, your figures aint what we want. We reckon we can get $10-20mill more. Come back with a more realistic figure. So, Dainty cant make the numbers work, the stadiums are booked (Footy, U2) and we lose and the Stones go: "Oh, well, who gives a shit".

Yet U2 come in, take what should have been arranged by the Stones/Dainty months ago. The Stones/Dainty had months to get it together. The Stones knew in fucking August where they will be in April. They knew! So, it wasnt a time frame thing. It was a money thing. Now, no 1st class stadium available (again - all parties knew this in August!). No way the Stones will settle for 2nd rate venues. No way will they get council permission to play a pretty good venue like PRinces Park (well, not without a kick back anyway!). So, thats fucked it. No Melbourne - and no viable Oz tour. Who gives a shit anyway?

Tuesday is the day. It will be announced no tour. Who fucking cares anyway? Buy the dvd, read the upcoming Euro reviews and get over it.

I couldnt give a stuff now. I am so over it. Sure, we are a small country, but think about it. We are the 3rd largest English speaking market! Anyway, i am taking the family to Surfers in August, so i'd rather spend my money there. Hopefully, i get to see my old mate Des O'Connor again. He doesnt let the fans down!

You know, its all irrelevant. They wouldnt even tour UK/Europe if there wasnt a 100% return voucher. They are a Yank band now. Guaranteed facilities in every major market. But, they wouldnt even tour gun loving land if it wasnt for sponsorship! I might add, the sponsor levels here are next to zip. The promoters were any losses - thats why ticket prices here are so outrageous. It aint just them, its Macca, Madonna, U2 (When was there last tour? 8 years ago? More?) All U.S. tours are underwritten. Not here. It's mainly pure ticket sales, a guaranteed gross per show (hence, making the promoter vulnerable - as happened to Col Joye's brother a few years ago - a tour sent him broke after 40 years in the biz!), distance and no sponsors. Oh, sure, Gold FM will chip in a few thousand, and give airplay, but that is preaching to the converted. No matter how rave the reviews for LICKS, no matter how much people loved it, 90% of "fans" wont pay $500 a ticket to see the same lame ass production (if it was a arena show) just to hear 3-4 new songs they dont give a shit about anyway, and probably dont even know. ABB sold pretty dismally here. Airplay was fuck all after 10 days. Not 1 film clip was ever shown on the main vid music show on free to air. Mind you, cable was just as bad. I only ever saw Rain Fall Down twice on Foxtel.

And, who can you blame? Us? Or, a band who didnt tour here for 22 years, hence, alienating 2, maybe 3, generations of fans.

They shit in our face all the time, and expect us to lick it all up and beg them to tour. Well, you know, people aint suckers all the time. Eventually, people dont care. If you ignore them, they ignore you. You know, i dare the Stones to ever start a tour in Europe. Why dont they? Why is it always AMerica? Why not U.K.? Why not Germany or Belgium? And why always a NY tour announcement? Ya see. Easy money. Valid returns. Sponsors. Air time. Kick backs.

At least there's the farewell tour to look forward to!
26th February 2006 08:21 AM
Jumping Jack I hate Americans, they are so rich and I am so poor. It is all Bush's fault.

Life is so unfair. I should be a millionaire by virtue of the fact that I sit around getting drunk and high every day. The government owes me a life of luxury!

And you know what else? Even if they came and played for free I would bitch because they didn't play all my favorite songs in the order I want, Taylor didn't show, and they don't play like 1973 any more. It simply isn't fair that people get old.

Life sucks, the Stones suck, Americans suck and Bush sucks.

What else do I want to add? Screw all all of you bastards, I am the only one who counts in this world.

Anyone think I can get a date with Paris Hilton?
26th February 2006 08:32 AM
speedfreakjive Zoomerang?
26th February 2006 02:18 PM
stonedinaustralia there was hardly ever any doubt in my mind

they were never coming

as corgi pointed out if they were coming it would have been sorted out sometime last year
26th February 2006 02:54 PM
exile
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
there was hardly ever any doubt in my mind

they were never coming

as corgi pointed out if they were coming it would have been sorted out sometime last year

SIA, they are coming
http://entertainment.news.com.au/story/0,10221,18280568-7484,00.html

Stones set their dates
February 27, 2006

Still rolling ... Sir Mick and the boys in concert / AFP THE Rolling Stones have finally confirmed they will bring their A Bigger Bang world tour to Australia in April.

The veteran rockers' tight schedule, and the huge cost of staging the tour, dictates there will be only two concerts, in Sydney and Melbourne.
At Telstra Stadium on April 11, Sydney fans will experience the giant outdoor spectacular the Stones launched with a free concert for more than 2 million people in Rio de Janeiro last week.

The band will perform a more intimate arena show at Melbourne's Rod Laver Arena on April 13.

Their long-time Australian promoter, Paul Dainty, said there would be no opportunity to add extra shows to the tour.

Dainty expects the two concerts to sell out quickly when they go on sale this Friday.

Advertisement:
More than 50,000 reserved seating tickets will be available for the Sydney concert, with prices to be confirmed in the next few days.
The Rolling Stones have never compromised on their state-of-the-art live productions.

There are 200 people on the tour, with as many as 40 trucks transporting the stage, lighting and sound equipment.

But the concerts will give fans a bigger bang for their bucks. The Stones will perform for more than 140 minutes and the set list is packed with greatest hits.

26th February 2006 03:00 PM
stonedinaustralia well, exile, i have no problems admitting i was wrong

how official is this 'tho - i have learnt through hard experience not believe everyting i read, especially about the stones and especially on the internet - i have heard nothing on this mornings tv news services and i would have thought it would at least rate a mention
26th February 2006 03:21 PM
stonedinaustralia it was just announced on the morning news on 9

now i believe it

melbourne for i think as it will be the smaller of the two shows
26th February 2006 03:23 PM
Gazza Stones ready to rock Rod Laver
Cameron Adams, music writer
27feb06

THE Rolling Stones have ended months of speculation by confirming they will tour Australia in April.

However, fans will have to be quick to nab tickets -- the legendary rockers will play one Melbourne show only.
The concert, at Rod Laver Arena on April 13, is expected to sell out in seconds. Tickets go on sale on March 8.

Promoter Paul Dainty revealed the Stones tour almost bypassed Melbourne as the Commonwealth Games had tied up all the suitable outdoor venues and stadiums for the next two months.

"The Commonwealth Games have bumped everything else out from all the venues," Dainty said yesterday.

"We were on the verge of just playing Sydney and New Zealand and not coming to Melbourne, because there was literally nowhere to play."

Dainty had the rock band playing a larger outdoor show at Flemington Racecourse until 10 days ago.

"They had a change of heart because there were too many issues with the trainers and the horses out there."

The Stones will play an outdoor show in Sydney on April 11 at Telstra Stadium and two outdoor shows in New Zealand, which will all boast the massive stadium production the band have been recently using.

As the Stones will only play two shows in Australia, there will be increased demand on tickets from interstate fans.

"Tickets will be like gold dust," Dainty admitted. "However, logistically, it's virtually impossible for them to do any more shows in Australia."

Dainty said the Rod Laver show was expected to run for more than two hours and feature Stones classics, as well as songs from their acclaimed latest album A Bigger Bang.

"An intimate Stones show will still have huge production values. It'll still have the B stage which comes out into the crowd," he said. "It won't be stripped down. It just won't be the full stadium show."

While tickets to the general public go on sale from Ticketek on March 8, fans with a Visa credit card can get a chance to buy tickets early -- a pre-sale starts from 9am on March 3 at www.visaentertainment.com.au

26th February 2006 03:24 PM
Gazza Stones set to roll into Melbourne By Daniel Ziffer, Entertainment Reporter
February 27, 2006

IRREPRESSIBLE rock group the Rolling Stones have squeezed a Melbourne concert into their world tour.

The unrelenting senior citizens of rock — frontman Mick Jagger, guitarists Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood and drummer Charlie Watts — will play one April show at Rod Laver Arena as part of their A Bigger Bang world tour.

In 2003 the Stones played three nights at the venue as part of their Licks tour.

Tour promoter Paul Dainty said the difficulty of finding a venue in the wake of the Commonwealth Games and at the beginning of the football season meant Melbourne was lucky to be able to have even one night with the group. "They said they really couldn't come all this way and not play Sydney and Melbourne," he said yesterday.

The band play in Melbourne on Thursday, April 13, after their Sydney show at Olympic Stadium on Tuesday, April 11.

"There's definitely not (extra shows)," he told The Age yesterday. The two Australian concerts will be presented differently, said Mr Dainty, with Sydney using the stadium stage created for the current concert tour in South America and the Melbourne show an "up-close and intimate" affair. About 14,000 tickets were available for the 2003 shows, but Mr Dainty said capacity for the April concert would be closer to 12,000 or 13,000.

Flemington Racecourse was considered as a venue for a stadium-style concert and would have allowed many more to attend. But the extensive set-up for the event would have required the track to be closed for three days.

"We thought we had Flemington and then there was one issue with trainers," he said.

A Bigger Bang has become the top-grossing tour of all time, according to concert trade publication Pollstar
26th February 2006 03:25 PM
speedfreakjive well, they were hardly not gonna go where u2 are going, were they?
26th February 2006 06:43 PM
Soldatti Congrats to the people down there, they deserve it.
26th February 2006 06:44 PM
glencar Poor man named "dainty"!
26th February 2006 09:14 PM
corgi37 Did i mention i love this band? They are so wonderful.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)