ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Estadio Universitario, Monterrey, NL México March 1, 2006
© Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Eulogies for Coretta Scott King turn heat on Bush (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
8th February 2006 10:38 AM
FPM C10 Sydney Morning Herald

Eulogies for Coretta Scott King turn heat on Bush

February 9, 2006

A DAY of eulogising Coretta Scott King turned into in-person rebuke of President George Bush, with civil rights and political leaders assailing White House policies as evidence that the dream of social and racial equality pursued by Mrs King and her slain husband, the Reverend Martin Luther King, is far from reality.

Tuesday's six-hour service, much of it carried live nationally on cable television, marked an unusual combination of political pageantry and civil rights history.

The President and his wife watched as New Birth Missionary Baptist Church filled with raucous cheers for their predecessors, Bill and Hillary Clinton.

"This commemorative ceremony this morning and this afternoon is not only to acknowledge the great contributions of Coretta and Martin, but to remind us that the struggle for equal rights is not over," said Jimmy Carter, the former Georgia governor and former president, to rising applause. "We only have to recall the colour of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi, those who were most devastated by Katrina, to know that there are not yet equal opportunities for all Americans."

Mr Carter also referred to the recent debate over whether Mr Bush violated civil liberties protections when he ordered warrantless surveillance of some domestic phone calls and emails.

Noting that the Kings' work was "not appreciated even at the highest level of the government", Mr Carter said: "It was difficult for them personally - with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretapping, other surveillance, and as you know, harassment from the FBI."

The Reverend Joseph Lowery, a King protege and longtime Bush critic, noted Coretta King's opposition to the war in Iraq.

"She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar," he said. "We know now there were no weapons of mass destruction over there. But Coretta knew and we knew that there are weapons of misdirection right down here. Millions without health insurance. Poverty abounds. For war, billions more, but no more for the poor."

Mr Bush seemed to take the heat in stride, smiling at times and giving Mr Lowery a standing ovation. The President himself received polite applause before and after his seven-minute eulogy, in which he said Mrs King's "dignity was a daily rebuke to the pettiness and cruelty of segregation".

Also present was his father, George Bush Sr, who, as a candidate for the US Senate in 1964 campaigned against the Civil Rights Act pursued by the Kings.
8th February 2006 10:43 AM
Joey "This commemorative ceremony this morning and this afternoon is not only to acknowledge the great contributions of Coretta and Martin, but to remind us that the struggle for equal rights is not over," said Jimmy Carter, the former Georgia governor and former president, to rising applause. "We only have to recall the colour of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi, those who were most devastated by Katrina, to know that there are not yet equal opportunities for all Americans."

Mr Carter also referred to the recent debate over whether Mr Bush violated civil liberties protections when he ordered warrantless surveillance of some domestic phone calls and emails.

Noting that the Kings' work was "not appreciated even at the highest level of the government", Mr Carter said: "It was difficult for them personally - with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretapping, other surveillance, and as you know, harassment from the FBI."

Bushie43's Presidency will end the way Nixon's Presidency did ............... Friggin Word !!!!!

“There he goes. One of God’s own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Joey " SPIRO " Agnew ! ®

8th February 2006 10:50 AM
jb I have to be honest..I am a liberal democrat, and was ashamed at the behavior of Carter and Lowery. When are we Dems going to learn that the public does not go for that!!! it cost Mondale the election in Minn as they did the same thing at Wellstones funeral. A memorial place is no place for politics Ronnie!!!!(P.S.-Carter hates Israel).
8th February 2006 10:54 AM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
P.S.-Carter hates Israel).

" Saddam rose to power from a coup but his career path was instilled in him from the beginning. Islamic culture (not Islam per se) factors into this, Saddam wanted to be the one to unite the Arab people and vanquish Israel from Palestine, which would elevate himself to a religious icon ranking. It has more to do with cult of personality (external to Saddam) and delusions of grandeur (internal to Saddam) than actual greed. He wanted that title more than anything. He wanted to be worshipped and recognized as a prophet. He wasn’t about to let ANYTHING stand in his way to do it. "

[ ss ]

[Edited by Joey]
8th February 2006 11:34 AM
Candace Youngblood Yeah, well Carter is not planning on running for office any time soon. He had nothing to gain or lose by making those comments.

When a person spends their entire life devoted to social change and political movements, I don't think it is disrespectful to bring those points up at their funeral and the fact that the battle is still raging.

8th February 2006 11:35 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Candace Youngblood wrote:
Yeah, well Carter is not planning on running for office any time soon. He had nothing to gain or lose by making those comments.

When a person spends their entire life devoted to social change and political movements, I don't think it is disrespectful to bring those points up at their funeral and the fact that the battle is still raging.

He's got a book to sell.
8th February 2006 11:36 AM
nankerphelge It was a cheap shot by Carter (what exactly were his contributions in office other than stagflation and inept leadership of the miltary)

jb is right, wrong time and place.
8th February 2006 11:39 AM
Candace Youngblood A cheap shot to who?

Republicans? You? jb?

I don't think Coretta Scott King would have disagreed or considered it a cheap shot to her since she agreed with him.
I think people are missing the point.

8th February 2006 11:44 AM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It was a cheap shot by Carter (what exactly were his contributions in office other than stagflation and inept leadership of the miltary)

jb is right, wrong time and place.

" In order to be a great Ex - President , one must have the perception that one was a lousy President " ( Keith John Moon , 1948 )

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
8th February 2006 11:45 AM
Joey
quote:

I don't think Coretta Scott King would have disagreed or considered it a cheap shot to her since she agreed with him.

Yeah , I noticed that she didn't seem too upset about Carter's remarks

8th February 2006 11:47 AM
gimmekeef Ouch!
8th February 2006 11:47 AM
nankerphelge It was a cheap shot at Bush by raising the issue of the FBI's investigation of King and likening it to the NSA's wiretaps. The two are entirely different situations, invoking entirely different issues, and Carter was using her legacy as an opportunity to politicize the issue.

It was beneath him, it was an insult to King, and an insult to most peoples' intelligence.
8th February 2006 11:51 AM
Candace Youngblood
quote:
Joey wrote:

Yeah , I noticed that she didn't seem too upset about Carter's remarks

Joey! you missed a perfect opportunity to post that pic of the dead woman in the casket.

8th February 2006 11:54 AM
Joey
quote:

Joey! you missed a perfect opportunity to post that pic of the dead woman in the casket.

Candy ..................................

My material has become drier than Phyllis Diller's Cha Che !!!!!!

|
|
|
V

8th February 2006 11:55 AM
egon Joey....,
8th February 2006 11:55 AM
FPM C10

Posting a picture of Phyllis Diller in a thread about Coretta Scott King would be a cheap shot at George W. Bush. We're above that sort of thing around here.

8th February 2006 11:57 AM
Joey
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
Posting a picture of Phyllis Diller in a thread about Coretta Scott King would be a cheap shot at George W. Bush. We're above that sort of thing around here.

[Edited by Joey]
8th February 2006 11:59 AM
Candace Youngblood Huh, I didn't realize that it was Phyllis Diller.

Guess what Joey...it made me giggle. You are NOT dried up I tells ya!
8th February 2006 12:01 PM
Joey
quote:
You are NOT dried up I tells ya!

Sniggles !

[ss]

[Edited by Joey]
8th February 2006 12:05 PM
jb Look, as a dem, I agree with what some of them had to say. But we just like the Wellstone memorial, this was not the proper time or place. Bush paid his respects by showing up, and while I certainly I'm no fan, this was not the time and place. If we dems want to regain the Congress/Whitehouse, a more moderate stance, at least piblicly is required.
8th February 2006 12:12 PM
Nellcote Would someone please build Jimmy Carter a habitat home on the Kamchatka Peninsula, so he is out of our lives?
The people of Georgia have been humiliated in a major way!
8th February 2006 12:14 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Would someone please build Jimmy Carter a habitat home on the Kamchatka Peninsula, so he is out of our lives?
The people of Georgia have been humiliated in a major way!

Even this democrat thinks Carter is a bitter ass. The interview on Larry King live, promoting his painting etc, was truly humiliating. He does some nice work for the porr, but shut the hell up about foreign policy...As I recall, you didn';t handle it too well....(see ABC's Nightline with Ted Koeppel).
[Edited by jb]
8th February 2006 12:18 PM
nankerphelge Yeah Jimmy doesn't have much in the way of good foreign policy experience. Especially as the commander and chief of the US military.

He did give us a new class of sub tho:

No peanuts or inept former Presidents were hurt in the making of this post.
8th February 2006 12:20 PM
Nellcote

JB wrote:
Even this democrat thinks Carter is a bitter ass. The interview on Larry King live, promoting his painting etc, was truly humiliating. He does some nice work for the porr, but shut the hell up about foreign policy...As I recall, you didn';t handle it too well....(see ABC's Nightline with Ted Koeppel).

You are correct, sir.
I recall that helicopter crash in the desert too vividly.
And then came the Gipper....
BTW, get over the ref matter with Sunday's game, as it is adding a certain tarnish to your reputation.
The only way it's resolved is for the owners to demand full time officials, not some pop warner eyesight challenged jerks. Only then will it get better.
And, what are you doing betting with your heart, there's not an NFC team who can beat an AFC team in the big game,
See Patriots '01,04,05...
[Edited by Nellcote]
8th February 2006 12:28 PM
PeerQueer Very true - J. Carter once played the part of a bad president but a very good/caring man. That part was accepted on both sides of the political fence. In the last decade he has become increasingly negative - much like his party as a whole.

JB is right, the Dems will continue to struggle to regain the American middle if they persist in portraying themselves as whining radicals with no real plan for the future.

Clinton understood this within the first couple months of his first term, and was then accepted by the American middle - at that point he was nearly indestructable (See Reagan playbook)

The funeral, televised to a national audience, was yet another example of the Dems, and the so-called Black leadership, looking stupid. All except B. Clinton, who came off very well. You can bet there were a number of Bush voters who while watching Clinton's flawless performance, were thinking, "Can I vote for him in the next election?" (See Reagan playbook)

Mrs. Clinton does not have that same talent - she on the other hand simply craves power and will not be able to convnce the American middle otherwise. If she is the nominee, the Dems will lose the White House yet again.

PeerQueer has spoken...
8th February 2006 12:29 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:

JB wrote:

You are correct, sir.
I recall that helicopter crash in the desert too vividly.
And then came the Gipper....
BTW, get over the ref matter with Sunday's game, as it is adding a certain tarnish to your reputation.
The only way it's resolved is for the owners to demand full time officials, not some pop warner eyesight challenged jerks. Only then will it get better.
And, what are you doing betting with your heart, there's not an NFC team who can beat an AFC team in the big game,
See Patriots '01,04,05...
[Edited by Nellcote]

What hurts the most was the head official was named Steve LEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8th February 2006 12:31 PM
Nellcote Could've been Marv!
8th February 2006 12:37 PM
jb
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Could've been Marv!

Marv was a great coach...too bad Norwood missed the FG or he would have had a ring...Jim Kelly(former UM'er) deserved a ring as much as anyone...He had 4 chances!!! Poor dan only had one in his 2nd year....but ring or not, both two of the best ever...
8th February 2006 12:38 PM
monkey_man Yeah you're right Carter didn't have any accomplishments during his presidency!
8th February 2006 12:39 PM
glencar
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It was a cheap shot at Bush by raising the issue of the FBI's investigation of King and likening it to the NSA's wiretaps. The two are entirely different situations, invoking entirely different issues, and Carter was using her legacy as an opportunity to politicize the issue.

It was beneath him, it was an insult to King, and an insult to most peoples' intelligence.

Am I the ONLY person who saw the irony of bringing up the wiretaps by the sainted Kennedy/Johnson adminstration of Saint Martin Luther King? Fucking people are ridiculous. Jimmy Carter's son is running for Senate in Nevada. Good luck, bitch!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)