ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From the archive of "Instituto Geográfico de Agostini"
Book provided by Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Revenge! Return to archive
02-24-03 11:39 AM
nankerphelge Senate to probe payola in radio
Mon Feb 24, 2:47 AM ET Add Entertainment - Hollywood Reporter to My Yahoo!

By Brooks Boliek

WASHINGTON (The Hollywood Reporter) --- The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee (news - web sites) plans to launch an investigation into alleged payolalike practices by some of the big radio groups that also own concert venues.

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, told the Recording Academy on Friday at its annual Entertainment Law Luncheon at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York before Sunday's Grammy Awards that he plans to conduct hearings on the issue within a month.

"While I am a strong believer in free markets, I am also a strong believer in the antitrust laws and vigorous competition policy," he said, according to a copy of his speech. "These allegations raise serious competition issues, which my committee will investigate and deal with appropriately. I would expect to hold a hearing on these issues in the coming month to examine the allegations and see how they affect artists and their ability to distribute and promote their music."

The hearing would mark the second time a Senate committee has focused on the issue. Last month, the Senate Commerce Committee conducted a similar hearing, focusing on Clear Channel Communications.

Payola has taken on various forms since the highly publicized scandals of the 1950s and '60s, when rock 'n' roll DJs received direct payments from labels to play songs, prompting federal laws forbidding such direct practices. The 1980s saw the rise of payolalike practices where payments to radio were disguised via third-party independent promoters.

In its current form, there are two payolalike practices. One refers to the fact that radio stations enter exclusive arrangements with independent promoters who guarantee the station a fixed monthly or annual payment. In return, songs "suggested" by such an independent promoter are the most likely to be added to playlists. This practice is allegedly used by Clear Channel and Radio One. The second de facto payola practice occurs when many legitimate independent promoters hired by the labels use the labels' money to pay for airplay.

Clear Channel has been the focus of most payola complaints because it is the nation's largest station group and it owns the nation's largest concert promotion company. During the Commerce Committee hearing, Clear Channel CEO Lowry Mays told lawmakers that the company did not participate in any illegal payola activities.
02-24-03 11:42 AM
jb C10?
02-24-03 11:24 PM
Sir Stonesalot WTF jb?

That didn't even make any sense!

I think you are cracking up.

You can buy anything and everything...except a C10 tag.

Sucks to be you!
02-25-03 07:56 AM
Maxlugar Josh has lost it and has now, fully on his own, decided to attack the C10.

We will squash him like a grape.
02-25-03 10:02 AM
Joey

[ EDITED BY JOEY ]

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST