ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From the archive of "Instituto Geográfico de Agostini"
Book provided by Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Grammy's.... Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-24-03 11:10 AM
jb I thougth Joan Rivers was very funny as usual on the pre-show interviews..it's funny to think she had dinner last week with Mick in Aussie land.
02-24-03 11:13 AM
Factory Girl Aretha ATE the Grammies...lol.
02-24-03 11:14 AM
Maxlugar Steelie!

What did you do at Keno's?

Anyone know?

Joey?

Tell Max what happened!

02-24-03 11:16 AM
Joey " Joey?

Tell Max what happened! "

Can't ..... " GAG ORDER " !!!!!!!

{{{{{{{ CA - RACK }}}}}}}}}}

Word Up G !!!!!

The Joe Si !

02-24-03 11:16 AM
Boomhauer Found this pic from last nights show:

02-24-03 11:17 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Aretha ATE the Grammies...lol.

LOL, yep, she had the grand special!

She is known for loving fried chicken.

Did you see the original Blues Brothers???

She Caught the Caty....
02-24-03 11:21 AM
steel driving hammer I really don't want to talk about it Maxy.

But what blew Kenos rod was me saying "Sand N***er" refering to the Al Quieda.

Then banning me, then I kept on posting...!
02-24-03 11:33 AM
Highwire Rob Was that Peter Gabriel on stage introducing nominees?

I'm a fan of his music, but he hasn't missed many meals lately either! Isn't he supposed to have one of those English wartime-baby high metabolisms? Compare him now to the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway era, or hell, the Steam video!

Yep, I enjoyed the live performances, even--and I'm not ashamed to admit it--N'Sync's tribute to the BeeGees. In fact, I think N'Sync ought to leave their own trite pop and become a BeeGees cover band... ambassadors of the Brothers Gibb, delivering the timeless sound to the far reaches af the globe and space (a la astronaut Lance Bass).

Folks, Simon & Garfunkel have reunited--PEACE ABOUNDS--How can war start now?

I've built walls
A fortress deep and mighty
That none may penetrate
I have no need for friendship
Friendship causes pain
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.

I am a rock
I am an island

--Simon & Garfunkel
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
02-24-03 11:34 AM
jb En Sync was truly embarrassing...as queer as it gets...
02-24-03 11:42 AM
MarthaMyDear That show was just incredibly boring... I liked seeing Cyndi Lauper and Deborah Harry in the pre-show, though...

*** Martha ***
02-24-03 11:45 AM
luxury1 Thanks, Boomhauer. Yep--looks like some enhancement to me. jb is right I fear.
02-24-03 11:47 AM
Boomhauer No prob
02-24-03 07:52 PM
Gazza >And the tribute to Joe Strummer was just incredible..I hope Sir Stonesy and Gazza saw it.

thanks for the tip. usually we get the Grammys here a couple of days later, but not this week....seems (for the benefit of UK folks here) its on the new BBC 3 station next saturday - late at night. Look forward to seein' that one. Just sad we got a Strummer tribute instead of a Clash reunion though!

>The Boss won his first Grammy....and that is cool too.

I'm pretty sure he won a few in '85 after "Born in the USA" came out. "Dancing in the dark" definitely won something, despite the fact the album and that single were the possible creative nadir of his career
02-24-03 09:05 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I'm pretty sure he won a few in '85 after "Born in the USA" came out. "Dancing in the dark" definitely won something, despite the fact the album and that single were the possible creative nadir of his career

Nonsense. Human Touch and Lucky Town, and their subsequent Brucelite tour, were much weaker records than BITUSA.

How's the Rising holding up for you after the initial hype-ola wore off?

And since when is Springsteen a Strummer fan? That tribute was loud but weird.

02-24-03 09:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I didn't turn over to the Grannys til after the X-men was over. Missed Simon & Art the Fart..and I don't care. Caught Bruce...he's OK. He ain't no Bob Dylan...or Rolling Stones. Caught Sheryl & Bob...pathetic. Ignored M&M.

Now, about the Strummer tribute...

I understand Dave Grohl. I understand the No Doubt guy. I can even understand EC and EC's drummer, sorta. Can someone explain Bruce & Lil' Steven to me please? And most surprising of all...they didn't suck. It was pretty good. Very odd, but good none the less.

Nora Jones? When did 40's style torch songs get popular again. That stuff SUCKS. I mean...YUCK. It's mushy, sappy, crappy, overhyped tripe. Sure, she's cute. Yeah, her Daddy was a hippy fave. Oh yeah Woodstock! SO FUCKIN' WHAT! That doesn't change the fact that she's a marginally talented piano player, singing lightweight fluffy poo.

See, this is exactly why the Grammy is completely irrelevant.
02-24-03 09:49 PM
Soul Survivor Have the stones ever won a grammy? Better yet, have they ever been nominated?
02-24-03 09:50 PM
Gimme Shelter Didn't the Stones win for Best Rock album for Voodoo Lounge in '94?
02-24-03 09:59 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

I understand Dave Grohl. I understand the No Doubt guy. I can even understand EC and EC's drummer, sorta. Can someone explain Bruce & Lil' Steven to me please? And most surprising of all...they didn't suck. It was pretty good. Very odd, but good none the less.

EC did a good job -- and yeah, that made sense -- at least he was there. And Miami Steve played guitar like he's been listening to his garage rock radio show - at least his solo had a little bit of an edge to it. But the Boss didn't really bring it vocally -- he kept it too uptight and out of sight. I appreciated that they left their amps feeding back when they walked off the stage -- I liked watching the Grammy mammies holding their ears.

But the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth -- since when did the Grammys ever give a care about Joe Strummer? Certainly not when he was alive. And all that pre-concert and between commercial hype was most unpunk. The whole thing struck me as deathsploitation.

Eminem did a good job. Best performance I saw. (Like you, I stayed away from it most of the evening and watched X-Men.)

02-24-03 11:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah Nasty, it made me feel funny too. Something as screwed up as the Grammys paying tribute to Joe is just...odd. It makes no sense.

HOWEVER!

It was good to see Joe get some due...from some people who actually have some serious cred.
02-24-03 11:25 PM
Prodigal Son Yeah, let's look it up:
Record and Song of the Year, *-both:
1967-"Up, Up and Away" by the 5th Dimension*
1968: song-"Little Green Apples"?
1969-"Aquarius/Let the Sunshine in" same jokers, "Games People Play" by Joe South
1974-"I Honestly Love You" by Olivia Newton-John
"THe Way We Were" by Streisand, ugghh
1975-"Love Will Keep us Together" by Captain and Tennile. "Send in the Clowns."
1976-"I Write the Songs"-Barry Manilow as song of year.
1977-"Love Theme from A Star Is Born" as song.
1978-"Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel.*
1980-"Sailing" by Christopher Cross*
1981-"Betty Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes*
1985-"We are the World"*
1986-"That's What Friends are For" by Elton John, Gladys Knight and Dionne Warwick for song.
1989-"Wind Beneath My Wings"*
1990-"Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins. "From a Distance" by Bette Midler, again.
1991-"Unforgettable" by Natalie Cole* duetting with her long-dead daddy?! WTF?
And since then, more of the same.
I love albums too;
1968-By the Time I Get to Phoenix by Glen Campbell
1969-Blood, Sweat and Tears
1972-Concert for Bangladesh?
1979-52nd Street by Billy Joel
1980-Christopher Cross. What was this guy; the Norah Jones of 1980?
1982-Toto IV. HAHAHAHA!!!
1984-Can't Slow Down by Lionel Richie
1985-No Jacket Required, phil Collins
1988-Faith, by George Michael
1991-Unforgettable.
They only got things completely right when Time Out of Mind and Two Against Nature by the Dan won.
Don't be surprised at all, folks. The Stones and great bands have always been snubbed. The Grammies are about commercial acceptance. That's all. Which explains the inescapability of the Beatles because they won 8 in their time together and another 7 after they broke up (you know, videos, box set, anthology stuff). Funny fact is that the Stones were nominated for best new artist in 1965?! They lost to Tom Jones, however. Look through this best new artist list and scratch your head: Robert Goulet, Bobbie Gentry, Crosby Stills and Nash, Jose Feliciano, Carly Simon, America, Bette Midler, Natalie Cole, the Starland Vocal Band, Debby Boone (i forgot that "You Light up My Life" was co-winner for 1977 song of the year!), Christopher Cross, A Taste of Honey, Sheena Easton, Men at Work, Culture Club, Jody Watley, Marc Cohn.
The Grammies blow chunks end of story. And Norah Jones ain't real soft jazz. I'll take Chet Baker or someone else any day. She's just another femme overhyped flash in the pan with connections.
02-26-03 03:06 AM
Bluzian No one mentioned the COLDPLAY performance with the NewYOrk
Philharmonic!! Did you guys not love that or what??? I was
truly moved by the performance, I even went out and bought
the "A Rush..." album today. That lead singer FEEEEEELS the
music eh?? Right on.

I actually thought the Nelly part was better than the Clash
tribute thing. It just seemed redundant. Repeating the same
verse over and over and over. And Strinbeen is all washed up.
He needs to retire. Looks like he was having a coronary each
time he approached the mic. Dave Grohl is where it's at eh?

As for Norah Jones.. I actually find her music quite enjoyable
and have been listenign to it periodically since June. I think
more music like that should be more prevalently available -
especially to younger girls.. it's cute, it's sentimental,
and the musicians she has, including Bill Frisell and Kevin
breit are fabulous (jazz) musicians. Her music is smoooooth.
I can totally see Norah Jones opening up for the Stones when
they come back to the US in 2004. Totally.

I'm canadian, and I hate Avril. Like.. NO TALENT what so
ever. I can do that.

Nice to see BB and Solomon get awards as well. Yeah. fo'sho!

And JB, I hear ya, I would drink Kylie Minogue's bath water!
WOW!!! Carput muncher or not. She'd be great in the sack! :-)

What are people's opinions on the latest Sheryl Crow / Kid
Rock country-flavoured single???

Cheers,
Ian
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST