ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From the archive of "Instituto Geográfico de Agostini"
Book provided by Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Top Guitar Albums Return to archive
02-23-03 12:26 PM
Maxlugar Guitar Magazine (or was it Guitarist, I don't know. I read it at the news stand and put it back) was rating it's top guitar albums of all time. There were a few categories.

Exile was #2 in the classic rock category.

#1?

Those fucking pussies from Liverpool once again. Revolver was #1.

I like that Exile is up there and maybe it isn't the best of all time. It's for sure ONE of the best. But for fucks sake Revolver? It might have been the Beatles best guitar album but not THE best.

Stones get burned by those mop topped pansies once again.

End transmission.
02-23-03 12:53 PM
full moon Revolver is not a guitar album..
02-23-03 12:56 PM
Moonisup Exile has more, country, blues, rock, even gospel, I have never listend to REVOLER but I don't think we'll find it on that one
02-23-03 12:58 PM
steel driving hammer Imagine if I would of said that on Keno's board...

The beatles are no more than bubble gum bee bop bridges, ask Keith...

While the beatles were holding you hand, the Stones were Walking The Dog...

Um, the Stones still walking the dog...
02-23-03 02:38 PM
Honky Tonk Man I love Revolver, but im going to have to agree with you guys here. Purely for the fact that it beats me why Revolver would even be in a "Best Guitar album" category. Shouldnt this category be reserved for albums by Jeff Beck, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Guns N Roses and The Stones?

Revolver is NOT a guitar album.

Alex
02-23-03 02:58 PM
Prodigal Son What the hell is right. Revolver ain't a guitar album, maybe "Taxman," "Dr. Robert," "She Said She Said" and "And Your Bird Can Sing" but that's it for guitar-heavy tracks there. Revolver ranks 3rd to Pet Sounds and Exile on my ever-changing list of greatest albums ever. Then we have the White Album and Beggar's Banquet closely following it. Now, those are guitar albums. Well, acoustic that is. The best acoustic rock album is definitely Beggar's. As for guitar albums, I think any Hendrix album or Sticky Fingers are the best guitar albums because there is lots of it and it is delectable stuff, too. Hell, under certain genres of guitar playing like punk, blues, reggae and country you could have a parade of best guitar albums for each style.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
02-23-03 03:26 PM
Mr. D When you look at the greatest guitar albums ever, I don't think Exhile or Revolver should be there. IMO, the Stones best guitar album is Sticky Fingers, which may also be the best guitar album anybody's done. The Beatles are a great band, but their songs never had great solos, therefore I don't think they can top, or even be in the list. My vote goes to either 'Sticky', 'Are you Experienced?', or Zeppelin I, II, or Physical Graffiti. The Beatles should be praised for songwriting, not guitar work.
02-23-03 05:03 PM
Factory Girl what about a Johnny Winter album? "Guitar Slinger" anyone?
02-23-03 05:04 PM
Mr T Exile's not much of a guitar album either

where was Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow?
02-23-03 06:17 PM
telecaster Exile should be up there in top 3.

Another would be the "Layla" album by Derrick and The Dominos

02-23-03 06:55 PM
Boomhauer
quote:
Mr. D wrote:
When you look at the greatest guitar albums ever, I don't think Exhile or Revolver should be there. IMO, the Stones best guitar album is Sticky Fingers, which may also be the best guitar album anybody's done. The Beatles are a great band, but their songs never had great solos, therefore I don't think they can top, or even be in the list. My vote goes to either 'Sticky', 'Are you Experienced?', or Zeppelin I, II, or Physical Graffiti. The Beatles should be praised for songwriting, not guitar work.

Yes, Mr.D, I agree.

I was flipping through this trashy magazine and noticed that some popular musicians(there were lists of musicians favorite albums) and none of them had a Stones album on their list.

And I was surprised to see that Sticky Fingers was not on the list. You got Sugar, Sway, Knockin', Bitch....maybe even Dead Flowers and Morphine.

Hell....I would say Some Girls (with the variety of guitar sounds) would fit in that list better than Revolver. It's all about who gets the most respect, and the Beatles get the most.
02-24-03 07:19 AM
Maxlugar Being a huge Jeff Beck fan I would have loved to have seen Blow by Blow there but that is Jazz Fusion not a rock album.
02-24-03 07:32 AM
Zeeta Led Zep physical Graffiti, Anything by Jimi Hendrix! Sticky Fingers!
WTF Beatles = shmeatles!
I live in Liverpool UK and I sick and tired of having those pussyasses forced into my face! Everytime I go out "Love, love me do!" It's bad, but I guess they gotta do it for tourism. I love telling all the Beatles fans here that the Stone are better it (obviously) really pisses them off!
McCartney = bell end!
Bring down the Beatles,
Bring on the STONES!
02-25-03 11:50 AM
GimmeExile The Allman Brothers Band's first few albums are among the best guitar albums out there! Duane Allman and Dickey Betts: Twin Power

[Edited by GimmeExile]
02-25-03 12:43 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
The Allman Brothers Band's first few albums are among the best guitar albums out there! Duane Allman and Dickey Betts: Twin Power
[Edited by GimmeExile]

(Off topic)Nice avatar. Is that Lin Fin Stadium? New home of my beloved Eagles?! Place is supposed to be great.
02-25-03 12:56 PM
GimmeExile Lazy Bones,

Right city and location! But...it's actually a photograph of JFK Stadium, the Spectrum and Veterans Stadium, homes to countless legendary shows.

[Edited by GimmeExile]
02-25-03 12:56 PM
glencar Who voted? Shouldn't "The Beatles" have outranked "Revolver" anyway? And where's "Beggars Banquet" on this crappy list?
02-25-03 11:16 PM
woodywoodpecker ANYTHING BY MICK RONSON!
02-26-03 08:11 AM
sirfito Revolver isn't a guitar album. It just a very good one...
"Layla" (Derek And The Dominoes) IT'S A GUITAR album. One the best to me...
Best,
Fito

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST