ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From the archive of "Instituto Geográfico de Agostini"
Book provided by Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Slide Instrumental" from Slide On Live and other Slide On Live Questions. Return to archive
02-23-03 10:46 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Few questions:

I got "Slide On Live" for Christmas - great album, but a lot of the songs sound better in the really high-octane atmosphere of Live And Eclectic (Like "Testify", "Show Me", "Pretty Beat Up" and most importantly "Stay With Me" - isn't it ironic how Ronnie sounds completely smashed on that recording yet the music is better? Maybe he's just nervous and sober, I dunno), but the song just titled "Slide Instrumental" blew me away. Ronnie just blasts through "Around The Plynth", makes a brief segue into "Gasoline Alley" and lets it bleed into "Amazing Grace" and then... hah... "Prodigal Son". Did he do this every night? Has anyone else besides me even heard it?

The other question: How successful was the Slide On Live tour? The crowd sounds like they're really into it, but where did he play, exactly? Did anyone go? How was it?

-tSYX --- Let's go upstairs and read my tarot cards... what a lyric! Who fell asleep at the wheel on that one?
02-23-03 03:08 PM
woodywoodpecker Hi Savage,
Did you get the version with bonus tracks?? KOCH is the label it features studio songs after the tour"
Great version of Ronnie doing "you really got a hold on me" ol Beatles tune and a blues number sung by Bernard Fowler. I have heard the tour was a big success, it did not reach Australia and reviews were hard to come by.
I think Breathe on Me deserves a mention also sounds great live!!
Slide instrumental is amazing! Another version of this can be found on "The Faces- Overture, Coast to Coast live album" tk 8-Borstal Boys/Amazing Graze!
That is pure magic on that album. If you havent already check it out.
02-23-03 03:27 PM
steel driving hammer You are so right! It's so electric!

The more you turn it up, the better it sounds, I mean BLAZING LOUD.

It's a mix of 5 or 6 songs actually which probably originated when Ronnie was at home or simply jamming.

Ronnie Be Goode...
02-23-03 08:59 PM
Child of the Moon Now you've sold me. I bought that album a long time ago, and I couyldn't get into it at the time. Now I know it's time to dig it out and cracnk it up. I've got that weird "eco" packaging on my copy... gives it that much more character, I suppose. I do agree - the slide intrumental is INCREDIBLE.

Wow, now I'm looking at it, and I didn't realize Seven Days or Am I Groovin' You were on it. Excellent.

I just recently picked up both I've Got My Own Album to Do and, as of yesterday, Live at the Ritz. Both are excellent - the take of Ooh La La on Ritz is just awesome, and I dig how prominent Keith is on Own Album to Do. I hereby proclaim this "The Year of Ronnie."
02-23-03 09:21 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Whoa! You have "Live At The Ritz"? How is it?

-tSYX --- Burnin', burnin', burnin', burnin'...
02-23-03 09:44 PM
woodywoodpecker I have the ritz also,

ronnie is fantastic on here!

Im a man/Carckin Up are great and ronnie on Oh la la and Honky tonk women what more could you want.

worth the money for sure
02-23-03 10:01 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy God! The track list is laughable! "They Don't Make Outlaws Like They Used To"? "Ooh La La Song"? "Plynth"? Who are these guys kidding? Did they just find a soundboard and say "Ooh, we could make a few bucks offa this... who are these people again?"

KOCH screwed up big time as well on Slide On Live - who's this Rod Steward guy Ronnie seems to write so much with?

Ah, I found it on Amazon.com for sale as well - I'll have to pick up a copy, as it's the last Ronnie album I haven't got (Thanks again to T&A for 1234... it's a lifesaver!).

-tSYX --- Ev'ry night for a year I've slept alone...
02-23-03 10:54 PM
tumblingdice Yeah Xyzzy, I love that one too, especially hearing Pretty Beat Up, wish the Stones would play that one and hearing him go into Prodigal Son was great as well.
02-24-03 05:12 AM
Child of the Moon Ritz is pretty good. The version of Ooh La La is mighty fine, and all of Bo's tracks just rock. I gave Slide On Live another spin, and I'd really forgotten how great it is. Steelie was right - the fucker is LOUD!

I decided to put together a Ronnie compilation in honor of getting (almost) all of his solo albums - I'm only missing 1234 and the most recent live discs. But here's what I came up with:

1. Buried Alive (Gimme Somne Neck)
2. Take a Look at the Guy (I've Got My...)
3. What Do You Think (Not for Beginners)
4. Am I Groovin' You? (I've Got My...)
5. Wayside (Not for Beginners)
6. Josephine (Slide On This)
7. Now Look (Now Look)
8. I Can't Stand the Rain (Now Look)
9. Sure the One You Need (I've Got My...)
10. Come to Realise (Gimme Some Neck)
11. Breathe On Me (Now Look) (I chose this version for Keith's backing vox)
12. Knock Yer Teeth Out (Slide On This)
13. We All Get Old (Gimme Some Neck)
14. Slide Instrumental (Slide On Live)
15. King of Kings (Not for Beginners)
16. Act Together (I've Got My...)
17. Seven Days (Gimme Some Neck)
18. Delia (Gimme Some Neck)
19. Ooh La La (Ooh La La) (Of course!)

[Edited by Child of the Moon]
02-24-03 07:51 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Good idea, Child - here's my picks:

1) I Can Feel The Fire (I've Got My Own Album To Do)
2) Josephine (Slide On Live)
3) Now Look (Now Look)
4) Act Together (I've Got My...)
5) Rock'n'Roll Star (Not For Beginners)
6) Breathe On Me (Live And Eclectic)
7) Buried Alive (Gimme Some Neck)
8) Whadd'ya Think (Not For Beginners)
9) Infekshun (LIVE with the New Barbarians)
10) Take A Look At The Guy (I've Got My...)
11) I Can Say She's Alright (Now Look)
12) Slide Instrumental (Slide On Live)
13) 1234 (1234)
14) Testify (Live And Eclectic)
15) Knock Yer Teeth Out (Slide On This)
16) Sure The One You Need (I've Got My...)
17) She Never Told Me (1234)
18) Real Hard Rocker (Not For Beginners)
19) Outlaws (1234)
20) Ooh La La (Ooh La La)
21) Show Me (Live And Eclectic)
22) Heart, Soul & Body (Not For Beginnners)
23) Seven Days (Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert)
24) King Of Kings (Not For Beginners)
25) It's Only Rock'n'Roll (Live And Eclectic)

There - should be about 80 minutes - hopefully - with a lot of good songs that didn't make the cut...

-tSYX --- She never told me, I found out...
02-24-03 05:00 PM
Child of the Moon Beautiful picks, Xyz. I wish I had some good New Barbs stuff - the version of Come to Realise off of the boot "Buried Alive" is absolutely incredible - I had no idea Keith was able to sing THAT WELL in '79. Unfortunately, I only have it available on MP3 (along with a few other tracks from the show, like Love in Vain and Let's Go Steady). How does 1234 sound? I really wish I could find it somewhere.

I also should probably look into buying the Far East Man DVD. After all, February 24-March 24 is officially the Month of Ronnie Wood. Let it be known.
02-24-03 05:23 PM
lonecrapshooter I have Live At The Ritz and I could listen to Crackin' Up over and over and over and over...it's AWESOME
02-24-03 05:34 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy 1234 is a strange, strange album. It's *clearly* a product of the times (Production is, like Gimme Some Neck, *terrible*), but has a few good times when Ronnie gets to be Ronnie. The rest of it sounds very forced. Apparently the basic tracks were recorded in Bob Dylan's garage or something along those lines - someone crashes into the organ by accident in the middle of "1234" - too much reverb, buried vocals and guitars. "Fountain Of Love" is too 'slick 80s' to be worth it, same with "Priceless", "Wind Howlin' Through" is unintelligable, and so on. There are, however, three really really good songs on it - "1234", "Outlaws" (the best on the album - easily a top 10 hit if it had been the Stones) and "She Never Told Me", all of which are Faces-style rockers.

It is worth it to try and pick it up - PM me if you want and I'll send it to ya.

-tSYX --- We pick up the story in the badlands of LA...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST