ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From the archive of "Instituto Geográfico de Agostini"
Book provided by Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock tragedy (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-21-03 06:31 PM
Mr. D This really is a shame. The death toll is at 86 now, with this number expected to rise. I feel bad for all those involved, but I think any lawsuit Great White or the club gets, they deserve. Did you see the size of the place they were playing in? It was way too small to light any kind of pyrotechnics. In my opinion, this was a stupid, stupid decision by the band. All this considered, this is still a huge tragedy, that may have over 100 casualties when it's all said and done.
02-21-03 06:39 PM
Riffhard Death toll is now at 95. Such a shame!

I gotta say I never liked Great White or,for that matter that whole 80's hair band scene,but Jack Russell the lead singer of Great White is a great guy. A real gent as it were. I know that he's just beaten up about the whole thing.

RIP to all involved.

Riffhard
02-21-03 06:40 PM
sammy davis jr. No shit....stupid stupid stupid. Sometimes the ignorance of "musician-type" people just astounds me...and I am a musician. It's too bad their idiocy cost so many innocent people their lives. Shitty band too. They made their name on cover songs.
02-22-03 05:04 AM
riffhard64 could you put your faith in Jesus when your burning in the flames...i said yeah....
02-22-03 12:26 PM
Fiji Joe Lawsuit hell...these guys are going to do some time...trust me on this one...murder/ involuntary manslaughter...take your pick
02-22-03 06:50 PM
Martha I was in a crowd crush at the Who concert in 1979...it is a horrible thing to experience...I am lucky to be alive and cannot fathom how horrific this tragedy in RI must have been...darkness, fire, smoke...it really is frightening to try and imagine it. I don't want to.

And it will be interesting to see how it unfolds legally speaking.

I am so sorry for those who lost loved ones in this tragedy. A very sad day for rock and roll indeed.
02-22-03 09:19 PM
Highwire Rob I realize this is after the fact but...

If they're going to invest in pyrotechnics in a small club then why don't they just opt for miniature versions of the Stones confetti blasters?

There's no question about their safety and they're a hell of a lot more fun, e.g., the encore of Jumpin' Jack Flash when the paper rose petals are falling. They could do a confetti blast (combined with bright reflective light and smoke makers) at the beginning, middle, and end of a small venue stage show--providing lasting harmless souvenirs for the concertgoers to take home--unlike fleeting sparks (tragically, not fleeting in the case of Great White's concert).

I mean–someone's going to have to sweep up any given club anyway. It could be recyclable paper. Great White could have used mass produced miniature paper shark cut outs in their confetti blaster!

Then again, I'm not their stage manager, and this is after the fact... but future bands and clubs could take a lesson from the Stones' confetti-technics.

--Rob.

I found a site on these things; only very small models here, but less expensive than I estimated: http://www.starmgc.com/pyrocon.html
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
02-22-03 09:43 PM
Sir Stonesalot I've always said, hair bands are bad for your health.

Great White is over? When were they ever? They had that "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" song. Is that anything? The "Great White Family"? WTF is that? Do they actually have a community like us? Why? It's just so....eeeeeeeyyyyyyeeeeeewwwwwww.

I, for one, am glad that Great White is over. They killed close to 100 people. I want ALL hair bands to be over.

I'm sorry those fuckwits killed so many people.

It was interesting watching that video at work. I watched it with several Fire Dept Chiefs(1 of 'em is a tranny, and one of 'em spent a month on the pile at the WTC with PA Task Force 1). They could tell from the video how the fire was going to react, and where it would go. They said that as soon as the fire took off across the ceiling, it was over. Chief McCaa said that the fire could have been contained in the first 15 seconds with a single fire extinguisher. When he saw the flames shoot across the ceiling he said, "Oh man, they've had it". I can imagine what the firefighters that were first on scene thought...."Oh SHIT!"

The building was fully involved in just 3 minutes. Our volunteer depts have SIX minutes...JUST TO RESPOND. I am guessing that the same is pretty close to being true for the West Warwick depts, give or take a minute. That means that the building was fully involved for at least 3 minutes before any equipment hit the streets. Figure at least 2 minutes to get there, a minute to do a scene size up, a minute to deploy....that fire, at the rate it was going, had at least 6 minutes to get momentum. The firefighters had no chance to save that building. In fact, I'd say they must have had their shit together...it could have been MUCH worse.

One thing that should provide a small amount of comfort...most of those that died never felt a thing. The smoke choked them out before the fire got to them. Thank God for that.

All this because of some hair metal tosspots and their cheesey sparklers.

My sincere condolences to the families and loved ones of those that died.

And to Great White, their manager, and the club owners....you will be burned up by fire too. Hell fire, that is...
02-22-03 10:10 PM
BILL PERKS GREAT WHITE COVERS THE GREATS-JUST UP ON AMAZON
1-I'M BURNIN FOR YOU(BLUE OYSTER CULT)
2-I CAN FEEL THE FIRE(RON WOOD)
3-I'M ON FIRE(SPRINGSTEEN)
4-PLAY WITH FIRE(THE STONES)
5-FIRE IN THE HOLE(VAN HALEN)
6-SMOKIN IN THE BOYS ROOM(MOTLEY CRUE)
7-ON FIRE(VAN HALEN)
8-FIRE(POINTER SISTERS)
9-YOU BURNT THE BAR ON ME(DAZZ BAND)
10-GREAT BALLS OF FIRE(JERRY LEE LEWIS)
02-22-03 11:21 PM
Nasty Habits
You forgot their big comeback hit, Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire".

By the way, "Once Bitten Twice Shy" was a cover tune -- the original version is by Ian Hunter of Mott the Hoople. It's off his first solo album. His version has a lot more to with music than Great White's version ever did, and it's got Mick Ronson on lead guitar.

Being burned alive in the middle of a Great White show. I honestly cannot imagine a much more horrible way to die.

02-23-03 01:12 AM
sammy davis jr. Another thought: Why in the hell were they setting off the cheesy sparklers on THE FIRST SONG?!! Aren't you supposed to build up to that? You know, play your crappy album filler music, then end the night with your one hit and the huge sparkler extravaganza pyrotechnic show. What the hell were they gonna do beyond the sparklers? Bottle rockets? Glow worms?
02-23-03 09:54 AM
gypsy Are you guys totally forgetting "Rock Me?"
02-24-03 04:43 AM
Cant Catch Me In retrospect, giant inflatable penises seem pretty harmless, huh?

(And, sorry, can't restrain myself, but I'd never heard anybody say that Great White was any good in concert, but then again I've never known anybody who'd seen 'em on a night when the band was really on fire ... )
02-24-03 05:25 AM
gypsy Good idea, CCM. When in doubt, just go with the enormous inflatible penis...it never fails...and it's harmless.
02-24-03 08:50 AM
Factory Girl Or, Great White should gone with a Giant Inflatable Shark...lol. That would have made for a lively and safe evening.
02-24-03 09:03 AM
Nellcote Now, some 3 1/2 days later, living 30 minutes away from this tragedy, it feels as if this horror is never going to end. It is an awful tragedy. Changed my mind from going to see Peter Wolf Friday night. 30 year old from my town is amoung the missing, despite the fact I do not know the lad, it wears on you. The blame game is only in it's infancy now, it will go on for years. It will never replace the lives of folks lost.

The major item that I can pass along from this is the following. No matter where you go, department store, restaraunt, club, theatre, church, anywhere, before you get comfortable, know where all the exits are, period. Do not ever take this for granted again.
02-24-03 03:46 PM
NHStonesfan Burns like a red coal carpet, mad bull lost its way
02-24-03 03:48 PM
jb Peter Wolf is just great...always liked him and was great when they(J.Geils) opened for the boys...I thought they had a stoneslike attitude, but the success of that album really killed them...
02-24-03 03:52 PM
Nellcote Yes, JB, you are correct. Now, sadly, by most of the world, all they are known for is "Centerfold", yet we all know their catalog is fantastic, their concerts legendary.
Saw them 18 times, including the reunion tour in '99.
They had four hour stamina!
02-24-03 04:06 PM
jb I remeber my late sister getting busted with a member of the group in 74...we had to go to the Dade County jail to bail her out.
02-24-03 05:03 PM
NHStonesfan speaking of J Geils has anyone heard

"Nothing but the Wheel" with Peter Wolf and Mick

Cool Tune
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST