ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From the archive of "Instituto Geográfico de Agostini"
Book provided by Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rock tragedy (NSC) Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-21-03 11:22 AM
Tom

Footage from WPRI-TV television shows heavy metal band Great White, including lead singer Jack Russell (C), performing on stage at The Station nightclub in West Warwick, Rhode Island, as their pyrotechnics display starts to spread fire through the club (top L), early February 21, 2003. At least 60 people died and some 161 others were injured in the fire that swept the nightclub, authorities said on Friday. *MANDATORY CREDIT*. NO SALES. EDITORIAL USE ONLY. NO ARCHIVE. REUTERS/WPRI-TV/Brian Butler

Fire personnel inspect the remains of the night club 'The Station' in West Warwick, Rhode Island, February 21, 2003 following a fire that started during a concert by the band 'Great White.' 60 people were confirmed dead as a result of the fire along with approximately another 161 people injured and being treated at local hospitals. REUTERS/CJ Gunther

02-21-03 11:28 AM
Tom Guitarist Ty Longly is dead
02-21-03 11:30 AM
jb It was on the news everywhere this morning. This tragedy, along with what happened in Chicago last week, truly shows how temporal life can be.
02-21-03 11:50 AM
telecaster Really sad, death toll at least 65 now.

The video is really sad
02-21-03 11:54 AM
steel driving hammer Sparks Will Fly...
02-21-03 12:14 PM
corgi37 yes, terrible. i just saw footage tonight. incredible stuff. the singer blames the club, but it was the bands fireworks. Funny thing is, and i only read about this about 3-4 months ago, the lead singer lives in Tasmania. I have an album of theirs, i bought it in late 80's for 2 reasons. Their is a cover of BITCH on it, and the cover has 2 barefoot girl on it. I admit i have a foot fetish. Now, Great White did a show at the Corner in Richmond, MElb not long ago. But, judging by this fiasco, i presume they had no pyro technics. Fuck, i feel so bad. I dont know what to say. Why should people who like to rock suffer so much. But, same as that club in Chicago. What is it with these club owners? No words can console, but i hope some good comes out of this. Right now, i dont know what. I dread thinking of people i could be drinking next to, maybe flirting with, maybe brawling with, suffering. But, for that fucker to blame the management, when it was HIS BANDS OWN PERSONAL fireworks, oh. "We asked if it was alright", well, its doesnt scour, brother. That excuse, does'nt scour. Imagine, dying for rock and roll. And 2nd rate, 80's plastic shit rock too!! Aussies love our yanks, love to tease, love to meet them, love to visit them, and i speak for many of my friends in saying how sorry we are, and ....nothing i can say will do anything. Heal fast, my friends.
02-21-03 12:37 PM
Boomhauer This makes me think about a few months ago, when I had to write some emergency evacuation plans for an assignment.

I was thinking "Damn, if a fire breaks out, no one would follow this..everybody would panic and run like hell."

Now look, in the last week at two clubs, people get "bottlenecked" at the entries. People get stomped on because of the wide-spread panic that arises.

It's really, really messed up.
02-21-03 12:53 PM
Fiji Joe Fiji weeps...
02-21-03 01:19 PM
Factory Girl REally sad and scary.
02-21-03 01:52 PM
icydanger

i wish some rain would purify all this fire

pain
02-21-03 01:53 PM
throbby jb wrote:
This tragedy, along with what happened in Chicago last week, truly shows how temporal life can be.

Well said jb. Life is very unpredictable and fleeting. Make the most of it while you can.
02-21-03 02:03 PM
Factory Girl corgi37-where does Jack Russell live?

Also, I don't blame Jack R. for putting this on the management. The poor guy lost his guitarist (RIP Ty), his fans and probably is in shock. Think of all the lawsuits this will bring. Great White may be over.
02-21-03 02:05 PM
Joey Well said jb. Life is very unpredictable and fleeting. Make the most of it while you can "

<------------ Well said My Brother !

Damn Straight little buddy !

Gypsy ????????????????

GYPSY ?????????????????

Shecky !

02-21-03 02:10 PM
Factory Girl Throbby, you have PM
02-21-03 02:14 PM
JaggaRichards A terrible tragedy indeed.
R.I.P.
02-21-03 02:29 PM
Highwire Rob Shit...Orange Alerts, Shuttle disintegration, brink-o-war, terror threats, nightclub mass horrific deaths... we didn't start the fire but I hope this damn well calms down soon. This year is not shaping up as a very pleasant page for the history books...

There are so many avid concertgoers on this board--Please be safe in the venues that you go to. And anyone that knows club managers in any part of the world, it won't hurt to ask them about emergency precautions/procedures in their establishments.

The most we can take from these disasters is a determination to not let it happen to our friends and loved ones.

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
02-21-03 02:42 PM
Factory Girl Great White were supposed play at a club in my area tonight.

Here's what the club's website reads today:

We do not know what will happen to the show tonight yet (in the wake of last night's tragic fire in RI), as soon as we know we will let you know. Rest assured that our club is safe and completely up to code. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in RI and in the Great White Family.
02-21-03 03:08 PM
icydanger
losing people close to us,
worse thing to happen

tension all over,
no time to be playing with fire

yes highwire rob its time to be aware
02-21-03 03:35 PM
Riffhard Great White played the Stone Pony in Asbury Park,NJ last week. My radio station has hosted many gigs at this club. I have hosted at least 20 shows there myself not to mention all the other jocks at my station.

The station has been in touch with Dominic Santana,the owner of the Pony,he said that GW used pyro at his show as well. He also stated that the management of the Pony was never informed of their use prior to GW hitting the stage. He said that they almost throttled the road manager of GW b/c the Stone Pony does not have a permit for their use. The ceilings are very low at the Pony and the fire dept. would not grant them a permit. Great White's road manager shrugged it off and just said,very matter of factly,"It's part of the show man." At this point the Pony's sound man became extemely pissed about possible damage that could be done to the clubs equipment and the safty factor. The management for GW assured all that the pyros were done for the night.

So it would seem that Great White was handling all the pyro without consent. If the band had a true pyro tech on hand they would have known never to use them in such a setting as the Pony or tragically at the Station. The Station's backwall was lined in eggcrate foam which is highly flamable. Either way both the clubs managment and Great White have alot explaining to do.

Riffhard

02-21-03 05:01 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Highwire Rob wrote:
Shit...Orange Alerts, Shuttle disintegration, brink-o-war, terror threats, nightclub mass horrific deaths... we didn't start the fire but I hope this damn well calms down soon. This year is not shaping up as a very pleasant page for the history books...

There are so many avid concertgoers on this board--Please be safe in the venues that you go to. And anyone that knows club managers in any part of the world, it won't hurt to ask them about emergency precautions/procedures in their establishments.

--Rob.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]

Amen, Rob! I just heard on the radio that the entire club was engulfed in flames within 3 minutes!! I can't imagine the terror those victims experienced. Very, very sad!!

LadyJ.
02-21-03 05:22 PM
Factory Girl The local news just interviewed the owner of a local club where the Great White were supposed to play tonight. The owner said that he spoke to the GW's tour manager about pyrotechnics-and said he wouldn't allow them in his club because they didn't have a special permit.

Needless to say-Great White are NOT playing here tonight.

What a fucking tragedy-R.I.P to so many and to Ty L.
02-21-03 05:36 PM
Fiji Joe Could someone tell me when it's ok to start cracking jokes about this?...cause I gotta a couple of doozies
02-21-03 05:39 PM
Factory Girl Not today, Feejie.
02-21-03 05:53 PM
Fiji Joe Obviously, Fiji does weep...
02-21-03 06:02 PM
Factory Girl Yes, you are a gentler kinder Feej-one who is prone to weepiness.
02-21-03 06:03 PM
Moonisup dying in flames it's the worst their is, we had simular thing in holland on a new years eve.

condolances to everyone who needs it
[Edited by Moonisup]
02-21-03 06:07 PM
Factory Girl Hey Moon-is-upie! How about changing your avatar to a pic of you with Freddi?? I love that one! Thanks in advance.
02-21-03 06:13 PM
Moonisup better now? LOL

hey where is your pic?

rik
02-21-03 06:17 PM
Factory Girl Love it, but make it Bigger and put it where you have Keith's hand. Just reverse the 2 avatars.

I don't have a scanner for my pic.
02-21-03 06:26 PM
Moonisup when I reverse it, it would take ages to download the page for people who don't have a fast connection!
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST