ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

From the archive of "Instituto Geográfico de Agostini"
Book provided by Rogerriffin
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rolling Stones Confirm 2 Spectacular Concerts in India! Return to archive
02-20-03 02:22 PM
Tom Bangalore and Mumbai Never Rocked Like This!

As part of the massive “Licks” World Tour, The Rolling Stones confirmed 2 spectacular performances in India by announcing concerts in both Bangalore and Mumbai.

‘Licks’ World Tour promoters CPI BV and local promoters Dilip Doshi and DNA Concerts today confirmed performances in Bangalore on April 11 at the Palace Grounds, and April 14th at Brabourne Stadium (Mumbia)

Do we have fans from India reading this?

02-20-03 02:25 PM
Moonisup are they also gonna bath in that holy river??
02-20-03 10:00 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I think it will be a very cool site to see the stones...

Can't imagine the setlist
02-20-03 10:06 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Stones set a date. It’s April
Shantanu Datta

Mumbai, February 20: ‘‘The Beatles want to hold your hand. The Stones want to burn your house down.’’ Lest Tom Wolfe’s observation comes true, be sure to guard your homes, the Bad Boys of Rock & Roll are coming. It’s official, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts, known as the Rolling Stones, will knock out Bangalore and possibly Mumbai this April.

The topic of intense speculation within and outside the media during the last few months, India’s date with the greatest and richest rock and roll band is finally final: 11th in Bangalore’s Palace Grounds. As for the second concert to be held on April 14, organisers are a bit edgy about Mumbai as all depends on how a sticky issue regarding Maharashtra’s steep entertainment tax is resolved.

Greatest? What else do you call a bunch of four who stand alone as the last great band from the first generation of rock? After 40 years, they are still together and still sound damn good. And talking about money, since the 1989 Steel Wheels tour, the band has grossed over $1.5 billion which, according to Fortune magazine, includes touring, record sales, song rights, merchandising and sponsorship money. Year 2003 and still counting, they are the billion-dollar band

02-20-03 11:46 PM
midnightmagic Are there really Stones fans in India? I mean shit, I have never seen one at a show anywhere! WTF
02-21-03 11:30 AM
Tom Sure they are, here's one

A fan walks past a large photo of Mick Jagger along with his rock group members, during a press conference in Bombay February 20, 2003, to announce 'Rolling Stones' forthcoming concerts in India. The concerts, scheduled for April, will be part of Jagger and the Rolling Stones' 40th anniversary 'Licks' world tour. REUTERS/Roy Madhur
02-21-03 11:43 AM
corgi37 i have to admit this. The Stones are having are holiday here in oz, but they are really looking forward to these indian and chinese gigs. Yanks? u and us dont matter. Well, u do, for the dough, but these mean something to the band. virgin territory. Oz is just a holiday before history is made. I just pray china erupts into riots and over throw the gov.t hey, chair man keith sounds cool!
02-21-03 05:50 PM
Monkey Woman Full article and pic from RS.com:

Everyone's talking about the Stones in India. Here's what Shantanu Datta for Mumbai Newsline reports:

‘‘THE Beatles want to hold your hand. The Stones want to burn your house down.’’ Well, ladies and gentlemen, lest Tom Wolfe’s pithy observation comes true, be sure to guard your homes, the Bad Boys of Rock n’ Roll are on their way.

It’s now official, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood and Charlie Watts, collectively tuned as the Rolling Stones, will knock you out this April.

Having said that, India’s date with the greatest and richest rock n’ roll band is finally final, but organisers are still a bit edgy about Mumbai.

Bangalore’s date is fixed though, for April 11, at the Palace Grounds. The April 14 concert depends on how a sticky issue regarding Maharashtra’s steep entertainment tax is resolved.

Greatest band? What else do you call a bunch of four who stand alone as the last great band from the first generation of rock? After 40 years, they are still together and still sound great.

And talking about money, since the 1989 Steel Wheels tour, the band has grossed over $1.5 billion which, according to Fortune magazine, includes touring, record sales, song rights, merchandising and sponsorship money.

Year 2003 and still counting, they are the billion-dollar band.

The India leg of the Stones’ Licks world tour — tickets for which go on sale from March 10 — would not have happened but for one man, a sportsman whom Indians have seen packing quite a Spin Punch on cricket pitches: Dilip Doshi.

Those who’ve read his autobiography will know his affection for Stones numbers. And his roommates on tours will vouch for his tape collection, an integral part of his cricketing kit.

‘‘I first met Mick (Jagger) when I was playing for Nottingham. That was in 1973 and both he and Charlie (Watts) had come to watch England play. Ever since, we’ve been in touch and grown to be great friends,’’ says Doshi. Doshi and Stones have been discussing an India tour for a while.

Not surprising, since till date, Doshi has watched them live 174 times. ‘‘I keep count and was determined to bring them to India for my fellow countrymen,’’ says Doshi.

It fell into place when longtime friend and Bangalore-based event manager Venkat Vardhan and DNA Networks were hooked up to produce and manage the India shows.

‘‘For us at DNA, it’s a dream come true,’’ says Vardhan, whose earlier fait accomplis include Bryan Adams, Scorpions, Deep Purple and of course Roger Waters of Pink Floyd.

The UB Group is the primary sponsor, among associate sponsors Sony Entertainment Television, Pepsi and Hewlett-Packard. The New Indian Express and The Indian Express are the media partners.

Mumbai’s tax: 50 pc!
AT the centre of whether the Stones play in Mumbai or not is Maharashtra’s unusually high entertainment tax laws. ‘‘A 50 per cent tax on ticket sales, 50 per cent on sponsorships and a further tax on complimentary passes calculated at the highest value,’’ says Venkat Vardhan of DNA Networks, also the president of the Event Managers’ Association. ‘‘We have asked for exemptions and reliefs on behalf of the industry. We are hopeful.’’

--------

P.S. 'Mumbai' is better known here as 'Bombay'. I hope nobody lay traps for these troubadours...
02-25-03 02:03 PM
Jaxx heres another one!

ABC News
Bombay no longer too taxing for the Stones
The Rolling Stones will play two concerts in India in April, one in Bombay and the other in Bangalore, after resolving a tax dispute with the State Government.

The Stones had been planning to give Bombay a miss due to the Government's high entertainment taxes.

But a spokesman for organisers DNA Networks said: "Things have been sorted out now with the Government of Maharashtra ... the Stones will perform in Bombay."

The western Indian state of Maharashtra, of which Bombay is the capital, has a rigid entertainment tax structure involving a 50 per cent tax on concert ticket sales as well as a slew of supplementary taxes.

The spokesman says the ageing rock legends Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Woods will perform in Bangalore on April 11 and in Bombay on April 14 as part of their "Forty Licks" tour.

Although there is no new album, the Stones have released Forty Licks, a two-CD collection of their greatest hits, to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the group's formation.

02-25-03 02:07 PM
glencar I wonder if naughty fans will be "caste" out...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST