ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Monterrey stage yesterday
© Fernando Aceves [ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Their Satanic Majesties Paycheck Return to archive
23rd February 2006 03:49 PM
Saint Sway Golden Smog is a self-proclaimed "Stupor Group" made up of singers from the Jayhawks, Wilco and Soul Asylum.

when they started off, they would do one-off performances at local Minneapolis haunts. Each night had a different theme of a band they would pay tribute to.

one of these nights was billed as "Their Satanic Majesties Paycheck"

just wondering if anyone hear knows of a tape of this or where to look for it?

thanks

btw, thier 1st EP has a gorgeous cover of "Backstreet Girl"
23rd February 2006 03:51 PM
nanatod "made up of singers from the Jayhawks, Wilco and Soul Asylum."

One of those three bands is my second favorite band of all time. The other two I have no use for.
23rd February 2006 03:53 PM
Saint Sway which one?
23rd February 2006 03:58 PM
nanatod Soul Asylum. Saw them in 1989 headlining over Faith No More and Soundgarden, was sort of disappointed. Saw them play an outdoor show in municipal park in Chicago around 1995, was best live show I saw that year, maybe all time. Saw them live a couple of years later, not as good. Saw them for New Years Eve this year, Pirner had lot on his mind due to death of longtime bass player (replaced by T. Stinson) and loss of Pirner's New Orleans house. Rejected NYE revelry tradition of party hats, countdown, noisemakers, just rocked out.

[Edited by nanatod]
23rd February 2006 04:02 PM
Saint Sway I've seen SA a few times. Including opening for the Wino's.

Seen Pirner & Murphy perform with Smog & Jayhawks countless times.

Dan Murphy does a ton of vocals on the Golden Smog records. If your a Soul Asylum fan you might want to ck it out. But be advised these are alt.country albums. So if thats not your thing...

I'm a huge fan of all 3 bands. And Smog.
23rd February 2006 04:06 PM
nanatod "But be advised these are alt.country albums. So if thats not your thing..."

I used to live around the corner from Bloodshot Records' offices, and seen the Waco Brothers 8 times. I just am weary of the Wilco publicity machine. When watching the Wilco movie, my sympathies are with Jay Bennett, rather than Tweedy.

And, Saint Sway, do you read the "signatures" at the bottom of my postings? I change them at times, but you can get the general gist of my musical taste from them.
[Edited by nanatod]
23rd February 2006 04:08 PM
Starbuck soul asylum gives me gas.

jeff tweedy did "pecan pie" at his solo acoustic show at first avenue last october.
23rd February 2006 04:40 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
nanatod wrote:
I just am weary of the Wilco publicity machine. When watching the Wilco movie, my sympathies are with Jay Bennett, rather than Tweedy.

its easy to be sympathetic for Bennett. But I can understand Tweedy's decision. I'm sure it wasnt an easy one.

I loved Uncle Tupelo and really loved the 1st 2 wilco records. Summerteeth is pretty good. Excellent in some spots even. But after that they sort of became a Radiohead type band and I've lost some interest. But they were terriffic out of the gate and are still damn good live - even minus Jay. Tweedy is a great songwriter.
23rd February 2006 05:40 PM
glencar No shit, Bucky. I was wondering which of the two good groups nannytard would pick & it went for the soulless corporate one. Inneresting, as my Uncle Harry would say.
23rd February 2006 05:45 PM
Saint Sway Glencar,
why must you always resort to name calling?

are you 6 years old?

its nanotod, not nannytard
23rd February 2006 05:52 PM
glencar Hmm, I was following your nasty lead. When on threads started by you, I revert to your loserish behavior. BTW Will we finally meet at the RCMH show?
23rd February 2006 06:00 PM
Saint Sway Now... now... I may be a prick. But I dont resort to name calling.
23rd February 2006 06:07 PM
nanatod "I was wondering which of the two good groups nannytard would pick & it went for the soulless corporate one."

Ironically, here in Chicago, Wilco and the Jayhawks are the soulless corporate ones because of the push they always get on WXRT. Soul Asylum never gets radio sponsorship in Chicago. Wilco has WXRT's program director and dj's wrapped around its finger.

[Edited by nanatod]
23rd February 2006 06:14 PM
Saint Sway I wouldnt describe any of these bands as soulless or corporate.

Jayhawks are the only one of these bands that actually sold out - the Smile record sounded blatant and the selling 2 songs to advertisers. But they still have soul.

Soul Asylum are a lesser version of The Replacements. And I mean that in the most flattering way. Because the Mats rule.

23rd February 2006 06:18 PM
glencar You don't call names? Bullshit. You're repulsive on so many levels.
23rd February 2006 06:25 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
glencar wrote:
You don't call names? Bullshit. You're repulsive on so many levels.

when have I ever resorted to name calling?? when??

Sure, I get into it pretty bad with folks. But name calling? No. Thats just childish. And, yet, YOU do it quite often.
23rd February 2006 07:25 PM
Dan Soul Asylum is alright. Kinda got stuck with the one hit wonder tag because of Runaway Train but I saw them at a radio station festival in 1995 and they were really good. However I they would have been just okay if they were following 1989-era Faith No More and Soundgarden.
23rd February 2006 07:31 PM
glencar
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

when have I ever resorted to name calling?? when??

Sure, I get into it pretty bad with folks. But name calling? No. Thats just childish. And, yet, YOU do it quite often.

I ignored it a couple of weeks back but you did change my handle. You're an asshole & whilst your Black Craws shtick used to get laughs, you've got little else to add. I still hope to meet you in NYC next month. You're buying - and apologizing!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)