ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Monterrey stage yesterday
© Fernando Aceves [ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: my detailed review of "Heart Of Gold" film Return to archive
23rd February 2006 02:58 PM
Saint Sway ITS TERRIFFIC!!!!!!!

go see it. A MUST for any Neil Young fan.
23rd February 2006 03:08 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
ITS TERRIFFIC!!!!!!!

go see it. A MUST for any Neil Young fan.

I haven't seen any previews for it, is it a story on Neil or just a movie that features his music?
23rd February 2006 03:53 PM
FPM C10 By Jonathan Demme, whose last concert film, "Stop Making Sense", made everybody stop and rethink concert films.

I read it has two "sets" - one of songs from his latest album, and another set that were songs Demme wanted Neil to sing - "I Am A Child", "The Old Laughing Lady" (from his first album - a great song), "Old Man", and much, much more, as they say. Filmed in the historic Ryman Auditorium.

Can't wait to see it.
23rd February 2006 03:57 PM
Break The Spell I'm listening to Like A Hurrican right now. This guy had that grunge sound 20 years before the term existed.
23rd February 2006 04:35 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

I haven't seen any previews for it, is it a story on Neil or just a movie that features his music?

a live concert film.

a quick blurb or two from each band member in the opening scenes. One from Neil. The rest is all concert footage. But Neil does a wonderful job of telling very short and to the point - but telling - bits while introducing certain songs onstage during the show.

at one point he talks about the history of the Ryman theatre and Hank Williams having played there and how he owns Hank's guitar (the one he wrote Heart Of Gold, Old Man etc on)

wonderful performance. The band is in fine form. Emylou Harris sings on many of the songs.

Neil Young is one of my heroes and I really loved this film.
24th February 2006 04:31 AM
Child of the Moon Neil?

The guy is my fucking lord and savior.

Other than Keith, of course.
24th February 2006 06:56 AM
Break The Spell He was on SNL about a month ago, best guest they've had on there in a long time.
24th February 2006 10:16 AM
Sir Stonesalot I can't wait to see this.

But I guess I'm gonna have to wait. I hate it when my search results for a theatre showing the movie I want to see says "This movie is not showing in your area".

FUCK!!

Hey Neil...is there anything that you can do about this? I'd really like to help out your gross....

I'm sorry, but I'm not driving for 3 hours each way to see this.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
24th February 2006 12:23 PM
glencar Well, I want to see this too. I'll wait for actual reviews though.
24th February 2006 12:25 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I can't wait to see this.

But I guess I'm gonna have to wait. I hate it when my search results for a theatre showing the movie I want to see says "This movie is not showing in your area".

FUCK!!

Hey Neil...is there anything that you can do about this? I'd really like to help out your gross....

I'm sorry, but I'm not driving for 3 hours each way to see this.
[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

Same problem I'm having too!! Each place I try just has the same crappy movies playing over and over.
24th February 2006 12:26 PM
glencar Is anyone going to the Rio Stones film this Tuesday?
24th February 2006 12:39 PM
nanatod
quote:
glencar wrote:
Well, I want to see this too. I'll wait for actual reviews though.

The Chicago Sun-Times did not have Roger Ebert review the film, so he won't. Instead they had rock critic Jim DeRogatis do so:

February 17, 2006

BY JIM DeROGATIS POP MUSIC CRITIC

"This old guitar ... been up and down the country roads / It's brought a tear and a smile," Neil Young sings in one of the most moving songs from his 2005 album "Prairie Wind," which is performed live in its entirety as the artist strums an acoustic guitar once owned by Hank Williams during the new concert film, "Neil Young: Heart of Gold."
"It's seen its share of dreams and hopes / And never went out of style / The more I play it, the better it sounds."

In a career that has been full of them, the legendary musician has never sung truer or more poignant words.

Young has already given us one of the best concert movies in rock history, 1979's "Rust Never Sleeps," as well as one of the most ambitious mixed-media musicals, 2003's "Greendale." And the director of this new effort, Jonathan Demme, is responsible for two more unforgettable concert movies, psychedelic troubadour Robyn Hitchcock's "Storefront Hitchcock" (1998) and Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" (1984), as well as some very memorable feature films that aren't part of my beat, like "The Silence of the Lambs" and "Philadelphia."

It should surprise no one, then, that "Neil Young: Heart of Gold" is an instant classic, one of the most musically sensitive and emotionally gripping movies of its kind, and as fitting a tribute to one aspect of Young's genius -- the acoustic country and folk maverick, as opposed to the fuzz- and feedback-drenched rocker -- as any artist could ever hope for.

Last spring, the now 60-year-old Young was diagnosed with a potentially fatal brain aneurysm. In the weeks before undergoing surgery, he threw himself into writing an intensely personal new album, "Prairie Wind," that he viewed as the last installment of a trilogy with 1972's "Harvest" and 1992's "Harvest Moon," and which he recorded in Nashville with many of the same lifelong friends and backing musicians, including pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith, keyboardist Spooner Oldham, bassist Rick Rosas and backing vocalists Emmylou Harris and Pegi Young, Neil's wife of 28 years.

After the singer-songwriter's successful surgery and just before the release of "Prairie Wind" last September, Demme filmed Young performing "The Painter," "Falling Off the Face of the Earth," "This Old Guitar" and the rest of the new album onstage during two nights at Nashville's gorgeous Ryman Auditorium, the original home of the Grand Ole Opry, with the musicians who'd recorded it, including the Fisk University Jubilee Singers and the Nashville String Machine.

The set at those concerts concluded with a sampling of older Young songs -- among them "I Am a Child," "Old Man," "Comes a Time" and "The Old Laughing Lady" -- and though they were written over a three-decade span, they combined to form a sweeping and linear narrative about a man standing at the crossroads of life and death, looking back and considering the things he values most dearly.

In the wrong hands, this could have been unbearably maudlin material; while many adore Martin Scorsese's "The Last Waltz," I've always hated its pathos and pretension, and Scorsese was simply eulogizing a band (The Band), not holding a living wake for a human being. But for all of the melancholy nostalgia in Young's music -- he's been singing about being an old man since the start of his career, when he was a twentysomething founder of Buffalo Springfield -- his passionate performances have always been about the joys of the here and now, and he's one of the few artists of his generation who's as vital and vibrant a creative force today as he was in the '60s and '70s.

"We are living 'the good old days' right now," the movie asserts as its unspoken theme, and Demme once again proves himself to be one of our most musical filmmakers, perfectly in tune with the sounds being created around him. There is absolutely nothing flashy here: After short introductory interviews with the musicians about their history with Young and the emotional creation of "Prairie Wind," the film never leaves the stage at the Ryman. The cameras focus almost exclusively on the performers, with nary a shot of the crowd or anything else to distract us from the wonderful music.

As a result, Young is the "star" in name only: The most fascinating "characters" are the songs, which seem to possess the musicians as they play them, and the drama is entirely unspoken, comprised of knowing smiles, playful glimpses and loving nods between artists who show us that making music with kindred souls is an experience as transcendent and emotionally fulfilling as making love.

For that reason, "Neil Young: Heart of Gold" is ultimately a celebratory film, not a sad one, and it is a movie that no music lover should miss.
24th February 2006 12:40 PM
glencar Sounds good!
24th February 2006 12:55 PM
Break The Spell Damn I want to see it more than ever now, I just need to find somewhere around here its actually playing. "The Old Laughing Lady" is a great song, glad its in the film.
24th February 2006 12:57 PM
glencar It's not playing at too many theaters yet. So far I've only seen one theater in Manhattan that has it. When is that Brian Jones biopic due?
24th February 2006 01:00 PM
nanatod
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Damn I want to see it more than ever now, I just need to find somewhere around here its actually playing. "The Old Laughing Lady" is a great song, glad its in the film.

According to the movie's website it will be opening wider in the next 2 months. Your profile indicates Kentucky, and the web site says the movie is in Lexington in April.
24th February 2006 01:08 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
nanatod wrote:

According to the movie's website it will be opening wider in the next 2 months. Your profile indicates Kentucky, and the web site says the movie is in Lexington in April.

Thanks for the info, Lexington is about a 90 minute drive, I live closer to Cincinnati, maybe I'll check if any place there will have it in the upcoming weeks.
24th February 2006 01:34 PM
glencar Are you near Independence?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)