ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Monterrey stage yesterday
© Fernando Aceves [ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What the hell was up with Ron and Keith at Live Aid Return to archive
23rd February 2006 09:01 AM
frankyleejudas I just watched the full Dylan performance. Ron and Keith must have been on some serious stuff because they are terrible. I love Keith's guitar work, but he just plays very strange here and that one solo Dylan gives him turns out painfully bad.

What happened? Did they not rehearse?
23rd February 2006 09:08 AM
Gazza They did indeed, but the main problem was to do with the fact they couldnt hear themselves in the monitors

Discussed only a few days ago - see here :

http://www.novogate.com/board/968/Archives/02%2D21%2D2006/220869-2.html
23rd February 2006 09:10 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
frankyleejudas wrote:
I just watched the full Dylan performance. Ron and Keith must have been on some serious stuff because they are terrible. I love Keith's guitar work, but he just plays very strange here and that one solo Dylan gives him turns out painfully bad.

What happened? Did they not rehearse?

They did a bit, but at the last minute Dylan decided to do a song they didn't practice so thats why the performance came off shakey.
23rd February 2006 10:39 AM
ExileInLA
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

They did a bit, but at the last minute Dylan decided to do a song they didn't practice so thats why the performance came off shakey.

yeah....
that's why Keith and Ron sounded horrible...
23rd February 2006 10:46 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
ExileInLA wrote:

yeah....
that's why Keith and Ron sounded horrible...

It's been a while since I've seen any Live Aid performance, but from what I remember it wasn't THAT bad. I do remember them looking a bit lost though because of them doing an unrehearsed song. The Farm Aid shows were better musically anyway.
23rd February 2006 10:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

no..Dylan SUGGESTED they do one, but Ronnie talked him out of it
23rd February 2006 11:01 AM
Saint Sway its easy to knock their sloppiness that night. But heres another way of looking at it...

Ronnie & Keef were totally old-school Stones at Live Aid. Torn & Frayed all the way. While the performance can be described as anywhere from sloppy to down right abysmal - theres still something DEFIANTLY COOL about it.

its that old ragged, elegantly wasted image of them that made them the James Deans of rock. Cooler than cool. Eyes pinned. Smokin. Dirty. Bad ass.

the next time we would see Ronnie & Keef onstage together it would be as the corporate Stones and the birth of the Vegas years in '89. Their Live Aid performace would mark the last time they would perform in public together as true outlaws.

on a day when the music INDUSTRY held hands together with Geldof, Sting and Bono and put on the tamest, most UN-R&R event ever, Keef & Woody stood out as the shattered, defiant R&R rebels that they proudly built their legends on. They were The Stones thru and thru. The wicked New Barbarians. Unlike all the other acts that day, they didnt bend over.

I say they were easily the coolest cats there.
23rd February 2006 11:27 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
its easy to knock their sloppiness that night. But heres another way of looking at it...

Ronnie & Keef were totally old-school Stones at Live Aid. Torn & Frayed all the way. While the performance can be described as anywhere from sloppy to down right abysmal - theres still something DEFIANTLY COOL about it.

its that old ragged, elegantly wasted image of them that made them the James Deans of rock. Cooler than cool. Eyes pinned. Smokin. Dirty. Bad ass.

the next time we would see Ronnie & Keef onstage together it would be as the corporate Stones and the birth of the Vegas years in '89. Their Live Aid performace would mark the last time they would perform in public together as true outlaws.

on a day when the music INDUSTRY held hands together with Geldof, Sting and Bono and put on the tamest, most UN-R&R event ever, Keef & Woody stood out as the shattered, defiant R&R rebels that they proudly built their legends on. They were The Stones thru and thru. The wicked New Barbarians. Unlike all the other acts that day, they didnt bend over.

This is how I remember it...one of the only performances that day that stirred any true emotion. Everything else seemed fake and planned to the second by comparison.
23rd February 2006 12:44 PM
gustavobala which musics they had played?
[Edited by gustavobala]
23rd February 2006 12:48 PM
erikjjf
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
which musics they had played?

Ballad Of Hollis Brown
When The Ship Comes In
Blowin’ In The Wind
23rd February 2006 02:46 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
its easy to knock their sloppiness that night. But heres another way of looking at it...

_____

Well said Sway! '89 as the start of corporate Stones - yup, though Mick had gone thay way by the late 70's it wasn't until 1989 when Keith -n- Ron joined him. While they made more money for sure, it came at the expense of the integrity of their image as RnR rebels.

Keith in particular epitomized the rock rebel image until 1989 when he started to become far less dangerous, sometimes slipping dangerously into parody. But hell, he was getting older, right?

But getting back to your post - well written and 100% correct - I do enjoy an insightful and intelligently put together post in here from time to time...
23rd February 2006 02:48 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

_____

Well said Sway! '89 as the start of corporate Stones - yup, though Mick had gone thay way by the late 70's it wasn't until 1989 when Keith -n- Ron joined him. While they made more money for sure, it came at the expense of the integrity of their image as RnR rebels.

Keith in particular epitomized the rock rebel image until 1989 when he started to become far less dangerous, sometimes slipping dangerously into parody. But hell, he was getting older, right?

But getting back to your post - well written and 100% correct - I do enjoy an insightful and intelligently put together post in here from time to time...

With that in mind, could Bill still be considered an outlaw because he bailed on them after the steel wheels tour?
23rd February 2006 03:16 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

With that in mind, could Bill still be considered an outlaw because he bailed on them after the steel wheels tour?

____

No - Bill was never really considered a RnR rebel - he was a good bass player in a great rock band who had a penchant for much younger panties.

The guy was about a half decade older than the other Stones and from what I have read, very tired and dealing with a near-manic fear of flying, not to mention the mental-emotional train wreck that was his marriage to that little teen blonde.

His overall contribution to the Stone's legacy has been widely disputed - much to his chagrin, thus the rather one-sided observations in his histrorical reviews of his time with the band.

Bill still has a rather tepid relationship with Mick, though is pretty close to Charlie. I have been told that Keith is still angry over Bill's leaving the band, while Mick was/is indifferent, which infuriates Bill, who wanted his departure to be a much bigger deal than it actually was.

That being said, I do wish the old feller would put his resentment aside and join his former mates one last time when the Stones play England. That would be quite a moment and one I would love to see, though I imagine there is a greater chance of Brian re-joining them than Bill at this point...
23rd February 2006 03:24 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

____

No - Bill was never really considered a RnR rebel - he was a good bass player in a great rock band who had a penchant for much younger panties.

The guy was about a half decade older than the other Stones and from what I have read, very tired and dealing with a near-manic fear of flying, not to mention the mental-emotional train wreck that was his marriage to that little teen blonde.

His overall contribution to the Stone's legacy has been widely disputed - much to his chagrin, thus the rather one-sided observations in his histrorical reviews of his time with the band.

Bill still has a rather tepid relationship with Mick, though is pretty close to Charlie. I have been told that Keith is still angry over Bill's leaving the band, while Mick was/is indifferent, which infuriates Bill, who wanted his departure to be a much bigger deal than it actually was.

That being said, I do wish the old feller would put his resentment aside and join his former mates one last time when the Stones play England. That would be quite a moment and one I would love to see, though I imagine there is a greater chance of Brian re-joining them than Bill at this point...

Great observations!! Perhaps he can play with them in October to celebrate his 70th birthday. Hard to beleive a Stone will hit his 70's this year.
23rd February 2006 03:45 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Great observations!! Perhaps he can play with them in October to celebrate his 70th birthday. Hard to beleive a Stone will hit his 70's this year.

____

I remember as a kid reading the fuss when Mick was turning 40 - and then some time later the fuss when America elected a president who was younger than Jagger

It's that toll of time that makes that tune Out of Control such a sweet one - wish they would play that far more live than they do - it ranks up there with some of their best in the last 30 years or so in my humble opinion...
23rd February 2006 03:50 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

____

I remember as a kid reading the fuss when Mick was turning 40 - and then some time later the fuss when America elected a president who was younger than Jagger

It's that toll of time that makes that tune Out of Control such a sweet one - wish they would play that far more live than they do - it ranks up there with some of their best in the last 30 years or so in my humble opinion...

"In the hotel I'm excited...by the smile on her face
But I wonder, how is time, gonna change her..."
Great tune and even better live.
23rd February 2006 04:45 PM
stonedinaustralia yes good post saint sway...in other words my sentiments exactly

as one pundit noted at the time, a few old legendary bands reformed for that show - the stones, however, true to their contrary "rebel"image broke up for the event

23rd February 2006 07:56 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
yes good post saint sway...in other words my sentiments exactly

as one pundit noted at the time, a few old legendary bands reformed for that show - the stones, however, true to their contrary "rebel"image broke up for the event

_____

Hah! I had not thought of it like that! Brilliant!
23rd February 2006 10:31 PM
the good
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

I disagree. There is nothing cool about sounding like shit.
23rd February 2006 10:38 PM
sammy davis jr. I agree with The Good: they looked like hacks up there- monitors or no monitors. And they knew it....they looked embarrased to me. A horrible experiment gone wrong.
23rd February 2006 10:56 PM
glencar It was a low point in Stones history. Real fans know when their band screws up.
24th February 2006 08:33 AM
gustavobala
quote:
erikjjf wrote:

Ballad Of Hollis Brown
When The Ship Comes In
Blowin’ In The Wind

thanxs erikjjf....when the ship comes in, seems like when the whip comes down....LOL
24th February 2006 08:37 AM
egon
24th February 2006 08:43 AM
Jumacfly Oh no not this thread again !
24th February 2006 08:54 AM
stonedinaustralia the crack pipe if you please... Jumacfly

Do you know where I can score some Hollis Brown??

has anybody seen my Gauloise??

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
24th February 2006 09:24 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
the crack pipe if you please... Jumacfly

Do you know where I can score some Hollis Brown??

has anybody seen my Gauloise??

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

Gauloises? red, blue, filters,without filters ??
I will check my colombian sources and let you know
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)