ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Monterrey stage yesterday
© Fernando Aceves [ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Remasters Return to archive
21st February 2006 10:50 PM
deuce Being that the Virgin remasters are from '94, do you think they'll be re-remastered anytime soon? I mean, anything to make a buck, right? I have yet to buy the remasters of Undercover and Steel Wheels so I'm just wondering if I should hold off or if what's out now is pretty much what's gonna be out.

Speaking of remasters, seems like the Beatles are the only legendary band not to release any remasters. I mean their albums were put on CD in '87...technology has come a long way. I wonder why...you know they would sell a ton.
22nd February 2006 12:26 AM
White House Lawn I imagine they'll remaster 'em when they sign with a new label (like Bowie did in '99). Hopefully soon because Virgin hasn't served them well . . . !
22nd February 2006 06:57 AM
Break The Spell All the albums from 1971-1989 could use a good sound upgrade like the Abcko albums of the 60's got back in 2002. Hopefully whatever record company remasters the 70's and 80's albums not only improves the sound, but also adds some cool liner notes and pictures, the Virgin remasters were very bare bones packaging.
22nd February 2006 01:29 PM
dkmonroe The packaging may have been skint, but I can't imagine the latter-day Stones albums sounding much better than the current Virgin remasters. Bob Ludwig did an outstanding job, especially with Black and Blue.
22nd February 2006 01:33 PM
Break The Spell Yes, the sound is a lot clearer on the '94 remasters, I just think they could make the volume a bit more full. Listen to "Tumbling Dice" on the 94 virgin emaster, and then listen to it on the 40 Licks compilation, the overall sound is a lot better. I'd like if all the albums were given that treatment, oh and with better packaging too :}.
22nd February 2006 01:35 PM
pdog
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Yes, the sound is a lot clearer on the '94 remasters, I just think they could make the volume a bit more full. Listen to "Tumbling Dice" on the 94 virgin emaster, and then listen to it on the 40 Licks compilation, the overall sound is a lot better. I'd like if all the albums were given that treatment, oh and with better packaging too :}.

I feel the same way, 40 Licks tracks sounded better, as did the tracks on Jump Back and Sucking In The Seventies..
22nd February 2006 01:41 PM
dkmonroe
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:
Yes, the sound is a lot clearer on the '94 remasters, I just think they could make the volume a bit more full. Listen to "Tumbling Dice" on the 94 virgin emaster, and then listen to it on the 40 Licks compilation, the overall sound is a lot better. I'd like if all the albums were given that treatment, oh and with better packaging too :}.

Funny. I just use the volume knob.
22nd February 2006 01:47 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:

Funny. I just use the volume knob.

This does work if you're playing the album on a stereo in your living room, but I spend most of my music listening time on headphones and portable music devices, and the volumes on those things only goes so high. On some older music, you can have the volume up full blast, but its still not to my satisfaction. To play those tracks on the 94 virgin remasters and then to play them on compilations like 40 Licks and the newly remastered Sucking in the 70's and Made in the Shade is a world of difference.
22nd February 2006 03:05 PM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. I've long been dissatisfied with the sound on IORR, sounds really flat.
22nd February 2006 03:08 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
Steamboat Bill, Jr. wrote:
I've long been dissatisfied with the sound on IORR, sounds really flat.

Me too, IORR along with Emotional Rescue and Dirty Work would benefit greatly from a remaster. I know some would like Dirty Work to go out of print, but I'd like a really good sounding "One Hit To The Body", "Had It With You", "Sleep Tonight" and "Harlem Shuffle".
22nd February 2006 03:11 PM
glencar ER & IORR were remastered. You want a second remastering? As for Steel wheels, it was digitally mastered on initial release. Why should it be remastered?
22nd February 2006 03:13 PM
wattsup I agree that the 40 Licks was remastered nicely. Having a taste of course I am also wanting more. I also thought the SACD's of the 1st few albums were quite good. Is their any chance of more SACD releases?
22nd February 2006 03:14 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
glencar wrote:
ER & IORR were remastered. You want a second remastering? As for Steel wheels, it was digitally mastered on initial release. Why should it be remastered?

Digital remastering has come a long way in 12 years since they were last remastered, if they do sign to a new label and reissue / remaster the 70's and 80's catalog, I think the results will be incredible.
22nd February 2006 03:17 PM
deuce
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

Digital remastering has come a long way in 12 years since they were last remastered, if they do sign to a new label and reissue / remaster the 70's and 80's catalog, I think the results will be incredible.

I agree. It's been 12 years since the last remastering has occured. The only reason I brought this up is because I didn't know if I should buy the few discs I don't have yet or hold off. I don't want to buy one and then find out that it's coming out remastered. I mean, it's like I said, label's will do anything to make a buck.
22nd February 2006 03:32 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
deuce wrote:

I agree. It's been 12 years since the last remastering has occured. The only reason I brought this up is because I didn't know if I should buy the few discs I don't have yet or hold off. I don't want to buy one and then find out that it's coming out remastered. I mean, it's like I said, label's will do anything to make a buck.

I bet sometime in the future they will be remastered, their contract with Virgin is fulfilled and I don't see them resigning with them as they were unhappy with the promotion ABB got, and you can't blame them. So whenever they do get a new contract, you will probably see the remasteres happen then. It must be hard though to hold out on buying the albums you need, as you really don't know how long this process could take.
22nd February 2006 03:34 PM
dkmonroe
quote:
Break The Spell wrote:

This does work if you're playing the album on a stereo in your living room, but I spend most of my music listening time on headphones and portable music devices, and the volumes on those things only goes so high. On some older music, you can have the volume up full blast, but its still not to my satisfaction. To play those tracks on the 94 virgin remasters and then to play them on compilations like 40 Licks and the newly remastered Sucking in the 70's and Made in the Shade is a world of difference.

I hate to sound like an old fogey, but I gotta say, be careful with those headphones, especially if you like your music loud. I've heard tell that the poster boy for hearing damage, Pete Townshend, blames his crippling tinnitus not on years of touring, but on loud headphones in the studio.

End old fogey rant!
22nd February 2006 03:35 PM
glencar dk, you are correct. Ipods will lead to MAJOR hearing loss a decade hence...
22nd February 2006 03:37 PM
Break The Spell
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:

I hate to sound like an old fogey, but I gotta say, be careful with those headphones, especially if you like your music loud. I've heard tell that the poster boy for hearing damage, Pete Townshend, blames his crippling tinnitus not on years of touring, but on loud headphones in the studio.

End old fogey rant!

I get what your saying, but I spend a lot of my work day around loud machinery, so to have a loud mix in that situation is helpful, and its just with some older albums on cd, the overall volume is low even though the volume knob is all the way up. With new remastering techniques, this problem is solved.
22nd February 2006 06:15 PM
Soldatti New remasters with bonus DVD's (including interviews of the time and videos) would be fantastic. Sadly, it won't happen. A reedition of Rewind or a new Best Of... will sell a lot more.
22nd February 2006 07:05 PM
Egbert
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:

End old fogey rant!

Yes - must be careful with headphones. I use em and for that reason would endorse a re-remastering of the Virgin '71-'86 CDs like that of Sucking In The Seventies (I don't have 40 Licks or Jump Back). SITS has a more full sound at low volume. Big difference on Crazy Mama from SITS and the '94 B&B.
23rd February 2006 07:00 AM
Break The Spell
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Yes - must be careful with headphones. I use em and for that reason would endorse a re-remastering of the Virgin '71-'86 CDs like that of Sucking In The Seventies (I don't have 40 Licks or Jump Back). SITS has a more full sound at low volume. Big difference on Crazy Mama from SITS and the '94 B&B.

Glad you can hear the difference. I would extend the remasters up to '89, Steel Wheels could use a bit more bass and low end, other than that its a pretty good mix.
23rd February 2006 02:37 PM
ResidentMule they've done a few reissues in the last few years without changing any of the sound. a week before ABB came out they put out that series with the lame US tongue slipcases - and then there were the LP sleeves for SF, Exile & Some Girls (though I guess that was quite a while ago now). maybe next tour as its too late for them to capitalize on this one - as you don't go re-releasing a dozen albums without some hype to back it up. wouldn't hold out much hope for SACDs though. they don't really seem to have caught on. maybe something better will come along in the next few years though. the studio albums from 71-81 would be enough for me though. I have no desire of having to rebuy Undercover and Dirty Work, and the original edition of Steel Wheels sounds just fine to me. I've never done a side by side comparison or anything, but I think I actually like it better than the 94 remastering.

I definitly agree that IORR needs it more than the others. GHS might benefit too. anyone who feels the need to have a second (third?, fourth?) copy of Emotional Rescue - be my guest, but I think I'll pass

personally I'd like to see them hold off for a few years. yes I'd like a new IORR, but the others I'm more or less satisfied with, and its only been a few months for me since I decided to bite the bullet and finish off my collection of the few albums I didn't have. I finally just bought Undercover a few months back and replaced copies of Black & Blue and Goat's Head Soup that had some scratches
[Edited by ResidentMule]
23rd February 2006 02:41 PM
Break The Spell Those slipcases with the tongues were indeed lame, I was about to buy them then learned it was only different packaging and no sound improvement so that was lame. Maybe it was Vigin's way of making some extra cash on them before they leave the label.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)