ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Monterrey stage yesterday
© Fernando Aceves [ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Wembley wont be ready for Cup final - and maybe not Bon jovi Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
22nd February 2006 02:46 PM
jb Beyond humiliating that Bon Jovi opens the new stadium.......
22nd February 2006 02:47 PM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:
Beyond humiliating that Bon Jovi opens the new stadium.......

We have truly taken a beating this year from other bands!!!! I am sorry you had to go through this
22nd February 2006 03:10 PM
jb This is not fair to gazza or England................Heather Locklearf ( a true fox) has finally divorced Samboring..
23rd February 2006 07:35 AM
Gazza still nothing official on the web, but apparently BBC Radio DJ Ken Bruce stated on his show this morning that the first band to play the new stadium will, after all, be :

23rd February 2006 08:03 AM
glencar Righteous!
23rd February 2006 10:18 AM
Gazza Wembley Delay Hits Concerts

Updated 01:24 PST Wed, Feb 22 2006

Few will be surprised by the confirmation that Wembley Stadium won't be ready in time for soccer's FA Cup Final, but now the delays might eat into the U.K. summer concert season.

The Football Association isn't commenting on a February 19 story in The Observer that said the stadium's first shows with Bon Jovi June 10-11 and Take That June 24-25 are also in jeopardy, but Cardiff Millennium manager Paul Sergeant told BBC's Radio Five the Welsh venue will definitely be staging the soccer final.

As Multiplex was building the £757 million flagship venue for a fixed price, it has to swallow the estimated £120 million losses on the project. However, the FA and top U.K. concert promoters could also lose out as soccer matches and live shows are either shifted or canceled.

FA officials are "privately warning" that all 10 events scheduled to happen before August are in danger of being pulled, according to The Observer. The paper said the Community Shield match on August 13 might be the first sporting event, which would probably place the two Rolling Stones gigs on August 20 and 22 as the first concerts.

That's what Radio Five seemed to be thinking when it interviewed Stones agent John Giddings on its midday news bulletin February 21 to get his reaction to the band being the first live act at the new stadium. Robbie Williams would be next, with five shows slotted for November. (it's actually September - Gazza)

"We'll be very happy to make even a little more history and we've been re-assured that the building will be finished by then," Giddings told Pollstar, explaining that he slotted the London shows for later in the tour because he'd been worried by the stream of newspaper stories reporting the delays.

The original handover date was January 31, but that was postponed until March 31 as some of the work was stalled. Even optimistic estimates are now putting the likely date closer to the end of June.

England's pre-World Cup friendly matches against Hungary May 30 and Jamaica June 3 are expected to be held at Old Trafford in Manchester, while the three Football League playoff finals in late May will also be moved to Cardiff.
U.K. papers are saying the FA, which had been holding Cardiff on standby for at least four months, was forced to resort to Plan B when Australian developer Multiplex wasn't able to give any sort of guarantee the building would be ready for the May 13 soccer match.

Multiplex is due to announce its latest financial figures on February 23 and the U.K.media are now pitching its Wembley losses somewhere between £100 million and £200 million (US$350 million).

A catalog of disputes with subcontractors, including a stand-off with its steel supplier and a row over money with the firm installing fire safety equipment, might have helped gobble up all the Australian developer's profit. The rising price of steel alone has cost the company an estimated £90 million extra.

As early as last summer, the company warned that it was cutting its profit forecast by 28 percent to £71 million, but some financial analysts are saying the spiralling costs at Wembley might have swallowed all that up as well.

John Gammon / Pollstar

23rd February 2006 10:23 AM
glencar It's only fair. Robbie Williams can sell out 5 shows?
23rd February 2006 10:30 AM
Gazza he could probably have sold out about ten, to be honest. Very hard to compete with a "pop" market and someone who is so popular with so many people under 30. When he played Knebworth a couple of years ago, I think he was able to sell out 3 nights - at about 200,000 per show!

However, his ticket prices were only £40-50 for Wembley. If the Stones kept their prices to that level, they could have sold five nights as well.
[Edited by Gazza]
23rd February 2006 10:32 AM
glencar They should have. In NYC Billy Joel makes news because he sold out the Garden 10 (11?) times. Why the Stones do this hit & run stuff is beyond my reasoning.
23rd February 2006 10:36 AM
Gazza I guess because they want to play less shows but in more cities. If they had low ticket prices, theyd need to play 2-3 times as many shows to satisfy the ticket demand.

I see your point. Its more of a news story when Robbie Williams sells out 5 nights - however the 2 Stones shows will actually probably generate a higher gross
23rd February 2006 10:53 AM
jb [quote]glencar wrote:
It's only fair. Robbie Williams can sell out 5 shows?
-------------------------------------------------------

England has embraced Robbie Williams with so much passion it is Beatlesque........they show up for the Stones , but the Stones are no longer part of English society like the 62-68 period. They are viewed as outsiders(even though all but Keith they live there) and in general, rarely place in any of the top 50 polls. The concerts are a way of having the 80k fans who remember them growing up to come out and re-live their youth. Sadly, England does not appreciate the fact they gave the world the greatest rock band that shall ever be...Instead, it is the current flavor of the day or type of douche Madonna reccommends which transfixes the masses.....................
[Edited by jb]
23rd February 2006 10:54 AM
glencar Actually Joshy, the 3 concerts I have attended there have been heavily attended by young 'uns. More so than any US shows.
23rd February 2006 10:55 AM
Joey " They are viewed as outsiders(even though all but Keith they live there) and in general, rarely place in any of the top 50 polls. The concerts are a way of having the 80k fans who remember them growing up to come out and re-live their youth. Sadly, England does not appreciate the fact they gave the world the greatest rock band that shall ever be...Instead, it is the current flavor of the day or type of douche Madonna reccommends which transfixes the masses..................... "

Funny !

Good Postin'

[Edited by Joey]
23rd February 2006 10:56 AM
glencar No, it's bad posting.
23rd February 2006 10:56 AM
glencar Where'd that Jair guy go?
23rd February 2006 10:58 AM
Joey " No, it's bad posting. "

23rd February 2006 10:59 AM
Joey " Where'd that Jair guy go?"

23rd February 2006 11:01 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, it's bad posting.

Blue, you posed the question why Robbie W. can sell out 5 and probably 10 , and I explained it very coherently..The English, like most here, go for what is hot, as opposed the Stones, whose longevity and greatness shall never fully be appreciated until, god forbid, they stop or die. England has not really been inbto the Stones sicne they left in 72...Yes, as gazza may point out, it is no different than antywhere else, but unlike a Springsteen or Bon Jovi who can sell out numerous dates in New jersey(and Bon Jovi apparently at Wembley openr), you would think London would embrace their finest import ever, and send the Stones out with atleast 3-5 sold out shows...sadly, 2 shows with 50k is a paltry figure imo!!!
23rd February 2006 11:05 AM
glencar Joshy, I was referring to your assertion that only old Brits are going to see the Stones out of nostalgia. I think when the Stones sell such high priced tickets, they cut off their market. As Gazza said, they'll make more for 2 shows than Robbie will make for 5 shows but who will get better coverage? 5 stadium shows is an event.
23rd February 2006 11:06 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, I was referring to your assertion that only old Brits are going to see the Stones out of nostalgia. I think when the Stones sell such high priced tickets, they cut off their market. As Gazza said, they'll make more for 2 shows than Robbie will make for 5 shows but who will get better coverage? 5 stadium shows is an event.

I will see you at the Peabody.
23rd February 2006 11:08 AM
glencar No, Josh. I can't make Lil Rock. I will be at RCMH but I won't make it into the Big Apple until 5:30PM or so.
23rd February 2006 11:09 AM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
No, Josh. I can't make Lil Rock. I will be at RCMH but I won't make it into the Big Apple until 5:30PM or so.

Very disappointing..............
23rd February 2006 11:14 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
glencar wrote:
Joshy, I was referring to your assertion that only old Brits are going to see the Stones out of nostalgia. I think when the Stones sell such high priced tickets, they cut off their market. As Gazza said, they'll make more for 2 shows than Robbie will make for 5 shows but who will get better coverage? 5 stadium shows is an event.

very true.
copy and paste to Jake!!
23rd February 2006 11:16 AM
jb
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

very true.
copy and paste to Jake!!

The audiences in Europe and South America tend to be younger as ticket prices here are very high and only affluent people can afford..............................................sad, but true.(also necessary to win gross ).
23rd February 2006 11:21 AM
Joey " (also necessary to win gross ). "

You are absolutely ON FIRE this morning .

23rd February 2006 11:23 AM
Break The Spell You are absolutely ON FIRE this morning .

YES!! You are correct sir.
23rd February 2006 11:33 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Blue, you posed the question why Robbie W. can sell out 5 and probably 10 , and I explained it very coherently..The English, like most here, go for what is hot, as opposed the Stones, whose longevity and greatness shall never fully be appreciated until, god forbid, they stop or die. England has not really been inbto the Stones sicne they left in 72...Yes, as gazza may point out, it is no different than antywhere else, but unlike a Springsteen or Bon Jovi who can sell out numerous dates in New jersey(and Bon Jovi apparently at Wembley openr), you would think London would embrace their finest import ever, and send the Stones out with atleast 3-5 sold out shows...sadly, 2 shows with 50k is a paltry figure imo!!!

what utter cock.

Wembley will hold around 75-80,000 per show, actually (the new stadium's capacity for football will be 92,000)

Considering the average 18-20 year old music fan (not those on THIS board) has the musical attention span of a gnat, why should they be expected to get excited about a bunch of 60 year olds who havent made a record in 8 years, havent had a hit single since before they were born and who charge a week's wage for a concert ticket

If the Stones charged the same prices as Bon jovi or Springsteen or Robbie Williams, theyd have filled that stadium for a week - and theyd still have a sizeable audience under 50. They'll still outgross everyone else with just two shows, so maybe we're keeping you happy after all, as the gross takings are all that matters to you (and them) anyway, it seems

What colour's the sky in your world?
23rd February 2006 11:55 AM
glencar And yet some called it 'good posting' as if they knew what THAT was!
23rd February 2006 05:11 PM
gimmekeef Gazza....I wouldnt be so sure it will be ready for the Stones.It will take months to fumigate the stadium after Bon Jovi......
23rd February 2006 05:22 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
And yet some called it 'good posting' as if they knew what THAT was!

It was good posting...why the humiliation Blue, why? I even provided you a delicious breakfast!!!!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)