ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Standing in the shadows of Motown Return to archive
02-20-04 05:14 PM
hotlicks Just got my copy of the DVD there today and it's amazing.
Unbelievable how many hit records the Funk Brothers (The Motown House Band) played on yet they are only becoming household names now. Can't believe they played on more No.1 records than the Stones, The Beatles, Elvis and the BeachBoys combined!
02-20-04 06:07 PM
glencar Yeah but their Top 40 hits were spread amongst 15 groups or so.
02-20-04 07:34 PM
Prodigal Son True, but no one can deny the amazing musicianship. The key to it all was James Jamerson, the bassist. What a bass player. If there was a collection of his bass lines only from many seminal works of Motown, especially What's Going on, I'd buy it! He's even more fantastic than the Ox. Just listen to stuff like "It's a Shame" or "Reach Out I'll Be There," and he improvised the lines based on the chords of the song. Best bass player in R&B/pop of the 60s and maybe for all time, IMO.
02-21-04 03:19 PM
scratched I agree - James is the man. I want those Motown Chartbusters box-sets so much its damaging me psychologically!
02-21-04 07:26 PM
glencar Just turn on an oldies station. Motown is played day & night.

BEST VIEWED HIGH