ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rod talks about Ronnie... Return to archive Page: 1 2
02-21-04 01:49 PM
parmeda To all of you 'naysayers'...
BITE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Rod was fantastic!

I am in the process of downloading a boatload of photos.
If you're interested in seeing any of them...PM me and I will hook you up ASAP (probably tomorrow sometime, I'm extremely busy today )

Josh...I luv ya too, and if we make it to the Garden in '05, I'm gonna kick yer ass, LOL!

Tele...SOON! Real soon
02-21-04 02:51 PM
LadyJane Glad you had a good time!! Check your e-mail

LJ.
02-21-04 03:23 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
parmeda wrote:
To all of you 'naysayers'...
BITE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Rod was fantastic!

Yeah, but Rod don't rock no more. He'll do real well in Las Vegas though.
02-21-04 03:31 PM
T&A So, Rod doesn't "rock no more" (not necessarily true - but let's say it's so for the sake of argument). So what? If it doesn't rock, it's bad? Some of Dylan's best work doesn't rock. Some of the Stones' doesn't as well. So what? What's the point of the argument. Rod's matured very well, IMO. He's still got the killer pipes and he's currently paying homage to some of the great songs of the 20th century. There's something wrong with someone singing I'll Be Seeing You instead of Stay with Me? Not in my book - both great songs. Go Rod!!!!!!!!!!
02-21-04 07:28 PM
glencar The current Entertainment weekly has a slashing review of Rod's road show. Right after saying how much one of those classics meant to him, he fumbled the lyrics. I'm thinking of seeing Bowie this June at Jones Beach.
02-21-04 11:49 PM
T&A I have Bowie, Van & Rod lined up over the next 2 months. The great ones never get old....
02-23-04 08:02 AM
parmeda ROD STEWART CROONS, FANS GROAN
February 22, 2004
Chicago SunTimes

BY MIRIAM DI NUNZIO Staff Reporter

In 1957, Frank Sinatra released a little ditty called "Can I Steal a Little Love?" Never heard of it? Not surprising. It was with this Nelson Riddle-arranged, jangly ballad that the legendary crooner tried his hand at pop/rock, to keep pace with the emergence of rock 'n' roll and one Elvis Presley. Sinatra was completely out of his element. He knew it. His label knew it. His fans knew it. The song tanked with a resounding thud.

Nearly 50 years later, along comes rocker Rod Stewart trying his hand at crooning. It's an epidemic among aging pop/rock stars these days -- Bette Midler, Cyndi Lauper, Ronald Isley, Michael Bolton have all recently released albums of American standards and middle-of-the-road pop classics.

Stewart has managed to release two quadruple-platinum-selling discs under the banner of "The Great American Songbook." There's talk that volume three is on the horizon. Judging by the lukewarm reception Stewart's crooning of the classics received in a sold-out show Friday night at the Allstate Arena, it might be a decision worth rethinking. Where the albums boast excellent studio manipulation of vocals and orchestration, in live performance the material became a case of Rod, you just don't wear it so well.

But for the first 90 minutes of the concert, Stewart kicked ass. Decked out in a tangerine waistcoat, orange shirt and tank top, tight black jeans and his signature choppy mane, Stewart looked every part the bad boy rock star, even at age 59. He laid into the hits with a vengeance -- "This Old Heart of Mine," "Hot Legs," "You Wear it Well," "Downtown Train" (a thousand times better than the beleaguered album version), and from the fabulous catalog of the Faces (the band that put him on the map in the '70s) came the heavy hitters -- the beautifully lyrical "The First Cut is the Deepest," the explosive "Stay With Me" and the rowdy "Oo La La." Song after song, Stewart strutted across the massive stage -- jumping, preening, spinning, running, skipping; the pace would put much younger pop-star wannabes to shame. Throughout, the crowd roared -- and rightfully so -- with deafening approval.

And then, after a 20-minute intermission, a stunned near-silence fell over the crowd as Roderick the Crooner, decked out in full white tie and tails, emerged from a 1940s-style big band bandstand amid a 16-piece orchestra.

Looking painfully uncomfortable in the garb, Stewart did his best to reassure the crowd "it's only gonna be a half-hour of this." By that time though, the crowd was eerily subdued, the applause only appreciatively polite. Stewart awkwardly navigated "The Way You Look Tonight," "As Time Goes By," "I'm In the Mood for Love" and a few other standards while much of the crowd broke into conversations and made cell phone calls.

The interest level returned as Stewart smartly peppered the set with some of his power ballads, including "Tonight's the Night" and "Have I Told You Lately that I Love You." But it wasn't until he left the stage and re-emerged in a scarlet suit and laid into "Maggie May" that the crowd came roaring back.

At one point in the evening, Stewart commented, "I'm only getting better as I get older." Yes, he is. And he doesn't need songs that are older than he is to prove it.

Still working on the review, LadyJ...busy, busy, BUSY, LOL!
(Check your email about the pictures )
02-23-04 05:15 PM
Joey " 44, 6-4, 240, size 13...and I work out. "

15 , 5-4 , 90 , size 3 ......and I smoke dope .
02-23-04 10:24 PM
glencar Perhaps Rod should croon at the beginning of the show.
02-24-04 08:38 AM
JaggerLips Ok people Do ya think he's sexy? (he being Rod)
I don't think age has done his voice any good, I remember watching him on Parkinson (UK' tv's best talk show host for people who don't know) and he was singing a song and I jsut thought Rod man you've lost it. Sad to say he just isn't the same anymore, great songs though. I think Rod sounds like he needs to suck on Tunes or something to get rid of a sore throat.

Glad Jagger is still Jagger, just got a few laughter lines when he smile otherwise hasn't aged much.
Page: 1 2

BEST VIEWED HIGH