ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Les Paul Return to archive
02-19-04 01:44 PM
telecaster It today's issue of the Wall St Journal there is an article on Les Paul. Yes kiddies, there actually was and is a man that invented the 2nd greatest guitar of all time

He talks about how rock stars use his now famous invention

He still plays one night a week at a club in Manhattan at age 88

02-20-04 11:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Second?
02-20-04 02:04 PM
Sir Stonesalot Fleabit & I did lights for Les Paul & Chet Atkins at a show in Harrisburg.

Les was one cool cat. The most down to earth guy you'd ever wanna meet.

Funny enough, he wasn't playing a Tele.
02-20-04 02:09 PM
glencar My friend is his next door neighbor in Mahwah, NJ. The Monday night shows are done at Irridium(sp?) & are usually done with good guests. I was invited last Sept. but couldn't go due to a prior engagement. Wouldn't you know Mick Taylor showed up & performed & took photos & all? But yes, Les Paul is quite old & quite nice.
02-20-04 03:32 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Fleabit & I did lights for Les Paul & Chet Atkins at a show in Harrisburg.

Yeah, that was a great experience. What was that, 1989? Chet Atkins came in first, and he was very reserved and professional. We (the crew) all felt like we needed to be on our best behavior - it was a little like being in church. And we were all nervous about the impending arrival of Les Fucking Paul - almost all of us were musicians, and couldn't believe we were working with a legend like Les.

So Les walks into the Forum, and the first thing he says is "Which one of you dumb sons of bitches is in charge?" Then after a moment of stunned silence while we all went "GULP!" and pointed at someone else, he laughed a big "haw haw HAW" laugh, and we were all buddies. I got him to autograph a CD - he wrote "Howdy!" on it. He signed everything anyone brought to him - lots of guitars(few of which were Les Pauls), t-shirts, cds, anything.

Les was a great guy, and I'm sure he still is - about 5'2", with dyed-red hair and a sense of humour out of vaudeville. Oh, and he plays guitar too. He and Chet really didn't get along too well - Les was too much of a live wire for a country gentleman like Chet. Played too loud and was too unpredictable. Which, of COURSE, made all of us LOVE him.

Long Live Les!
02-20-04 03:37 PM
jb
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Fleabit & I did lights for Les Paul & Chet Atkins at a show in Harrisburg.

02-20-04 03:45 PM
FPM C10
quote:
jb wrote:

Wait...does that count toward your total posts?

That ain't kosher!

Flacky!
02-20-04 03:50 PM
jb
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Wait...does that count toward your total posts?

That ain't kosher!

Flacky!

I have made my mind up that regardless of political party, it all comes down to selling books. Whether it's O'reiley, Coulture, Hannity, Savage on the right or Hilary, Franken, Moore, on the left, they are making millions upon millions....it's a virtual cottage industry...
02-20-04 04:29 PM
FPM C10 I put my pants on one leg at a time, but I shoot pool left-handed.
02-20-04 04:48 PM
glencar Joshy, you have finally seen reality. I should say that the "humorous" books by the likes of Franken & M. Moore are actually devoid of any humor & just palin old nasty instead.
02-20-04 07:23 PM
FPM C10 ...and this relates to Les Paul because...

02-20-04 07:24 PM
glencar Thread police in town?
02-21-04 12:01 PM
FPM C10
quote:
glencar wrote:
Thread police in town?

Yeah, you're right. Sorry for my uptight-out-of-sightedness.

Man, that president of yours is a friggin' idiot!
I'm just glad that a majority of Americans think so too.
02-21-04 12:02 PM
glencar LOL The campaign hasn't even started!
02-21-04 12:26 PM
Scottfree Can we exhume Ike, and put him back in charge?
02-21-04 01:00 PM
glencar I'd prefer McCain myself but he's too old now. It is funny how both parties seem to go for the dullest choices.
02-21-04 04:27 PM
Mathijs >Yes kiddies, there actually was and is a man that invented the 2nd greatest guitar of all time

According to the people who worked at Gibson in 1952/1952 and many historians, Mr. Les Paul did NOT invent the Les Paul, but was just a mere advisor -who was against most of what we consider now to be classic appointments: glued neck, maple/rosewood body, carved top, simple wiring. But, les Paul truly is one of the master guitarists of the last century.

Mathijs

BEST VIEWED HIGH