ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Poor Brian-Screwed Again Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
02-19-04 01:20 PM
telecaster http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8718824%255E1702,00.html

Late Stone loses street tribute
From correspondents in London
18feb04

PLANS to commemorate the late Rolling Stones guitarist Brian Jones by naming a cul-de-sac after him on a plush housing estate in his home town had been scrapped after an outcry from developers and residents, local officials said.

Jones, who was found dead in a swimming pool at his house in 1969, aged 27, was to have been remembered in Cheltenham, central England, where he was born and is buried.
Brian Jones Close was to have been one of the streets in a development of 70 upmarket homes, but builder Bryant Homes applied for the name to be changed after objections from local residents and prospective buyers.

Yesterday evening Cheltenham Borough Council, which is responsible for local street names, bowed to the pressure.

"Some members of the cabinet thought it was a shame to change the name from Brian Jones but recognised that they must listen to the residents," council spokeswoman Jane Grunner said.

02-19-04 01:24 PM
jb i'VE SAID IT OVER AND OVER AGIAN-THE BRITISH HAVE ALWASY BEEN VERY DISRESPECTFUL OF THE STONES AND HAVE NEVER REALLY SUPPORTED THEM. THE MICK KNIGHTHOOD WAS SHOVED DOWN THEIR THROAT BY TONY BLAIR, AFRIEND OF MICKS, BUT THE PUBLIC, AS EVIDENCED BY MANY EDITORIALS , WAS OUTRAGED HE RECEIVED THIS HONOR.
02-19-04 01:27 PM
glencar Dude, turn off the caps. The caps are for looooozers like Bill Perks.
02-19-04 01:33 PM
jb I agree with you on that!!!
02-19-04 01:35 PM
glencar And I agree with you about the spiteful Brits! It's always about the frigging Beatles. Well ya know what? The Beatles were okay. Just okay. The Stones were awesome.
02-19-04 01:41 PM
headshrinker NO!!!!! i live accross the street from where they are building thoses homes. that would have been amazing. there are also talks in the local papers that bill wyman will be unveiling a statue of brian in the town centre
02-19-04 01:46 PM
telecaster
quote:
headshrinker wrote:
NO!!!!! i live accross the street from where they are building thoses homes. that would have been amazing. there are also talks in the local papers that bill wyman will be unveiling a statue of brian in the town centre

You have to love the internet. Only on the internet could a person in another country tell you what the name of the street across from your house will be

Thanks Al Gore for inventing it
02-19-04 01:51 PM
glencar Algore ahd an amazingly stupid speech last week. You'd think even the Dems would be muzzling the poor bastard by now.
02-19-04 01:52 PM
glencar But yes, St. Al of the Internet should be given his due.
02-19-04 03:49 PM
FPM C10 I think it's GREAT that the street naming was scrapped - although Brian had enough bourgeois gentility bred into him that he probably would've liked the idea, I think it's more important (to US) that his unsavory reputation still outrages society 35 years after his death. Would You Let YOUR Daughter Live On Brian Jones Close?

Now, if there would be a similar outcry forcing Mick to give up his knighthood...
02-19-04 06:44 PM
Gazza >BUT THE PUBLIC, AS EVIDENCED BY MANY EDITORIALS , WAS OUTRAGED HE RECEIVED THIS HONOR.

From what I can see they werent half as outraged as the amount of Americans who for some reason were so indignant about something happening in another country that they hadnt a fucking clue about.

If youre seriously getting upset about some insignificant street name change in an stuck up little town 4,000 miles away from you because of a guy who died 35 years ago you seriously need to get a life.

Who fucking cares

Josh - if Jagger had NOT been given a knighthood, wankers like you would have STILL seen that as a "snub" as they'd given it to other performers. Pathetic

[Edited by Gazza]
[Edited by Gazza]
02-19-04 07:56 PM
stonedinaustralia look,i've obviously missed something here but what's all this about al gore inventing the internet??

tia
02-19-04 08:01 PM
glencar He claimed to have helped its development during the last campaign. It became a joke. Now he's a joke.
02-19-04 08:10 PM
stonedinaustralia they had some footage of the candidate dean on our tv last night - the showed an excerpt of a (very loud) speech he recently made and apparently it's now referred to as the "i have a scream" speech

hilarious
02-19-04 11:26 PM
Zack Are you all aware that cul-de-sac means "a bag's ass" in French? I wouldn't want one named after me.

02-19-04 11:32 PM
Scottfree I thought Goar said the innernet.....Which maybe he did have a hand in the innernet. I'm trying to develop this outernetting thing, to net moths of course....
02-20-04 12:09 AM
BILL PERKS I'M A LOSER BABY...SO WHY DON'T YA BAN ME??????????????????
02-20-04 04:21 AM
Prodigal Son Although it's true the British press and general music audience disrespect the Stones, it doesn't mean they hate ALL good music. But seeing a snippet of the BRIT awards with Timberdyke introducing Duran Duran for Outstanding Acheivement to Music (which is a slap in the face to the word music I fully believe!). What? Wait, were Flock of Seagulls too busy? I guess the Human League was on tour at some supper club in Germany. Have the Stones been honoured in such a way? Not that it matters so much, but I doubt it was done and if it was, it was prolly forced by someone while everyone else shrugged.
02-20-04 07:36 AM
Maxlugar If Mick Taylor does not get a candy bar named after him, I'm out of here.

Pricks!

M!
02-20-04 02:27 PM
gypsy Maxy, would an MT candy bar be full of nougat or what?
02-20-04 02:46 PM
Gazza >Although it's true the British press and general music audience disrespect the Stones, it doesn't mean they hate ALL good music. But seeing a snippet of the BRIT awards with Timberdyke introducing Duran Duran for Outstanding Acheivement to Music (which is a slap in the face to the word music I fully believe!). What? Wait, were Flock of Seagulls too busy? I guess the Human League was on tour at some supper club in Germany. Have the Stones been honoured in such a way? Not that it matters so much, but I doubt it was done and if it was, it was prolly forced by someone while everyone else shrugged.

The Brit Awards are seen as a joke by anyone over the age of about 25 who has the slightest clue about proper music. Its a cliqueish, corrupt little pop publicity stunt aimed at the singles charts and carved up by 3 or 4 major record labels. The "lifetime achievement" award is basically given to whatever "old farts" deem the occasion worthy of turning up at and playing a few songs to close the show.
The rule of thumb is basically this. The BPI offer the act in question the award. If they dont perform at the ceremony, they give it to someone else instead. Which gives you a clear indication of the respect the BPI have for the artist in question. Some bands have even reformed ESPECIALLY to receive this award (ie The Who in 1988). The Eurythmics reformed just in time for their "honour" a few years ago and dont seem to have been heard of since.

The Stones have never received such an award probably because theyve never lowered themselves to perform at such a stupid and worthless event. One of the few decisions theyve made in the last few years for which they deserve respect.

As for the press and music audience in general hating the Stones - get real . The Stones' last tour saw them get the best reviews of their entire career and the plaudits were unanimous. Check our archives if you dont believe me instead of listening to the slabbering of some idiots with selective short term memory loss. They also sold more tickets for their London shows on their last tour than they did for New York, which is a city around the same size or any other city in North America for that matter. I dont recall too many cities in the US where they were able to fill a stadium twice over either.

Judging an entire country by a protest by a few elderly residents of a suburban town is moronic. Do Beatles fans judge all Americans on the strength of the fact that one of them happened to stalk and murder John Lennon?
02-20-04 02:50 PM
glencar SIA, the "I Have A Scream" speech was incredible. That bizarre yell at the end("yeeaagggghhhhhhhh") is constantly used on radio shows as a buffer between ads & show. Howard Dean excited some liberals early but now he's just a joke.
02-20-04 02:51 PM
glencar Gazza, the Stones could have sold out Giants Stadium if they'd announced a show. They played 6 shows here in 4 months.
02-20-04 03:02 PM
Gazza I was at Giants Stadium. Getting a ticket was pretty easy. There were a few gaps here and there. Same in most places,I'd imagine. London too. It was also pretty easy to get tickets for the two January MSG shows from what I recall at the time. I also went to Los Angeles a month later. Without tickets for the arena show. They were selling them for half price outside.

My point was - they sold as well in London as they did in New York or anywhere else. Even though the prices were twice as high as any rock show in the UK before by anyone.

The "Britain hates the Stones" wank was totally misproven by ticket sales on their most recent tour and the reviews they got. End of story.

PS : sorry to be a pedantic bastard, but they played five shows in New York. Not six. (3 MSG, 1 Giants, 1 Roseland)

[Edited by Gazza]
02-20-04 03:06 PM
glencar Who said they hate the Stones? Joshy? You're still taking him seriously?
02-20-04 03:09 PM
Gazza In this thread alone, you,Josh and PS. I'm sure TTM will throw his informed two cents worth in as well...although maybe if its late at night he'll delete it before he goes to bed. No big deal. :-)

I dont take Josh remotely seriously. But listening to a broken record can be irritating sometimes regardless of whether its serious or not.
02-20-04 03:11 PM
glencar I did? Show me where. I said that the Beatles were given more respect than the Stones. Surely even you wouldn't disagree with that.
02-20-04 03:17 PM
Gazza "And I agree with you about the spiteful Brits!"

Of course the Beatles are given more respect in the UK than the Stones. theyre the biggest and most successful band of all time. What else would you expect?

The Beatles are also bigger than the Stones in the US too. Even now.
02-20-04 03:26 PM
jb Gazza, tickets for the 2 MSG shows in january were almost imposible to get....I had to pay 3k....
02-20-04 03:30 PM
glencar "Spiteful Brits" gotcha, didn't it? But plain & simple, the Beatles will always be #1 in Brit's heart. Maybe in America too but here the Stones are given their due. Not enough for my taste but more than over there.
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH