ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Slim Harpo Return to archive
02-18-04 10:40 PM
JumpinJackFlash "Got love if you want it"-there is a good example of the 'Exile' sound. Sounds very much like 'Hip Shake'. Now of course we all love the Stones, and when you look at it, you say, where did this sound come from? It's all out there, just have to find it. I think alot of this blues era came when Keith took that break, and bought all those records and sat back and learned alot of it. Anybody else got some comparisons.
02-19-04 01:35 AM
FPM C10 They were into Slim Harpo from day one - "I'm A King Bee" is on their first album. The thing that always struck me about their Slim Harpo covers is how carefully they play the songs as close to the originals as they can. Their covers of Muddy & the Wolf are always drastic re-arrangements, but their Slim Harpo stuff is note-for-note. I picked up an Excello 45 of Hip Shake about 15 years ago and I was amazed at how the Stones had not only got that rhythm down pat, but also the distinctive Excello sound (their studio had a sound as distinctive as Chess or Sun).

Gram Parsons' influence on Keith is very noticeable - the difference between their first two forays into country (Dear Doctor and Country Honk), which are jokey and not particularly authentic, and what they did after Gram became Keith's drugbuddy - "Dead Flowers" and "Sweet Virginia" and "Torn and Frayed" - that's the REAL stuff. And "Far Away Eyes" is a beautiful country song even though Mick chose to turn it into a joke with his vocal.

Their research of reggae is interesting, too - "Luxury" is not particularly convincing, "Cherry O Baby" is sloppy (but I still dig it), "Send It To Me" doesn't quite get it right - but by now, after decades of Keith living in Jamaica off and on, they're genuine. "You Don't Have To Mean It" on B2B is a great reggae song, and a big factor in my positive feelings for that much-maligned album.
02-19-04 09:01 AM
nankerphelge Yeah they played a lot of the tunes that the Stones covered during the intermissions at the Licks shows. Hip Shake was one of the tunes and I was amazed how true the Stones' version is.
02-19-04 09:13 AM
Lil Brian FPM C10
Excellent post.
I was listening to the '81 Checkboard Lounge with Muddy Waters yesterday and our boys show so much respect, like kneeling at the feet of the master.
02-19-04 12:29 PM
glencar I liked "Send It To Me" when ER was first released but it does seem trite these days.
02-19-04 01:40 PM
swapwoodfortaylor (In answer to 'JunpinJackFlash's' initial question)...... There are a few CDs out there that contain the original (in most cases) versions of the Stones' early recordings. Excellent they are too! A particularly good one is the 1989 compilation (27 tracks) on Charley CD INS 5016 "Stoned Alchemy".
02-19-04 01:57 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
FPM C10
Excellent post.
I was listening to the '81 Checkboard Lounge with Muddy Waters yesterday and our boys show so much respect, like kneeling at the feet of the master.

Thanks, Lil B! They absolutely did have the utmost respect for all of their many influences - they still DO - and that's a big element in their greatness. Compare it to the Gallagher brothers, ripping off the Beatles and the Stones and then publicly challenging them to fistfights! Or the whole batch of today's "superstars" whose roots go no deeper than Michael Jackson.

The thing I love about the video of the Checkerboard Lounge gig is that it's the ONLY time I've ever seen Mick seem nervous. He seems totally in an "I'm not worthy" mode that I've never seen him display anywhere else.
02-19-04 02:13 PM
glencar It's nice that Mick respects his elders. That Avril Lavigne didn't even know how to pronounce Bowie's name last year.
02-20-04 12:56 AM
JaggaRichards I love Harpo's version of 'Rock Me Baby'.
02-20-04 04:18 AM
Prodigal Son Avril Lavigne, yeah that was stupid. And Britney Spears. They both don't know shit about old rock music/stars and they claim, "Well, it was before my time and I didn't listen to that music." When your main influences are banal 80s losers such as Madonna and whatever teenyboppers there were (Rick Astley, Mickey Mouse Club, New Kids on the Block, Tiffany, Jody Watley!?), you know you suck. And Lavigne's influences go no further back than 1994 and are full of half-assed punk-pop bands (the single worst form of rock music ever crafted).

Wow, those glory days of 1994 were influential for generations to come. Christ, there was some great music from back in the mid-90s, I'll admit. We look back now and see that it wasn't all bad and we'll look back in almost a decade to today's scene and remark the same way. Because after all, what about 1994 do you remember most? Hootie and the Blowfish or Nirvana? Ace of Base or Soundgarden? Mariah Carey or Sheryl Crow? We'll look back the same on 2003 as to who people remember most: the White Stripes or Evanessence? Jet or Nickleback? Kings of Leon or Coldplay? Outkast (hey, they aren't bad as pertains to most rap) or 50 Cent? Hell, the Hives or Beyonce (sorry, Alex)?

'll tell ya somethin' ladies, you don't know even the easiest of tidbits such as David Bowie's name pronunciation, who Yoko Ono or John Lennon were and it's no surprise. It shows with the music. Timberdyke may be totally crud, but he knows at least SOME classic stuff that harkens back to meaningful days and so his MJ impersonations are varied, while others take "Bad" and make a whole career off of the sound of that song.
02-21-04 09:58 PM
jpenn11 Always had a soft spot for Slim Harpo's Raining In My Heart

BEST VIEWED HIGH