ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Ezio Petersen
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Baddest assed front man (besides Mick)! Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
02-19-04 09:14 AM
Riffhard I gotta go with FPM on this one. Bowie is in a class by himself. Iggy is as well. Peter Gabrial used to be a very weird frontman. All kinds of strange monster costumes and shit. More of a performance artist than a front man really.

As for Wendy O Williams. She retired from music became a animal rights activist as well as a veterenarian's assistant. She was wracked with depression and one day she took a walk in the woods behind her house and put a .38 in her mouth. It's a shame. She had a real rough time of it after the success of the Plasmatics faded.

I think that it's strange that nobody has mentioned James Brown and Tina Turner(OK she's really a frontwoman,but Jagger is too sometimes!) I mean afterall Jagger nicked every one of his early moves from these two. Both of them can still bring down the house. Who knows James may be bringing down the "Bighouse" soon enough.

Riffhard
02-19-04 05:04 PM
stewed & Keefed Hi Ian,

Great story,that is so cool you new Stiv.
You are right about "Young,Loud and Snotty" I'm always playing it.
It was a shame their next album "We Have Come for Your Children"wasn't as good, because of poor production(Except for the excellent "Aint It Fun" and "Son Of Sam")

Steve
02-19-04 06:06 PM
glencar Is Bowie bad-assed or charismatic? That's why I didn't put Bono's name down.
02-19-04 08:06 PM
stonedinaustralia [quote]FPM C10 wrote:

Speaking of Wendy O Williams...She sawed a Les Paul in half, and (...)blew up some amps
quote]

brilliant!!

perhaps MT should have tried something like that at the IORR sessions if he felt that the band was running out of musical steam

02-19-04 09:47 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
egon wrote:
FREDDIE.

there, I said it!

Freddie. Who the f is freddie????
Oh yeah. I guess Mitch Ryder was pretty good too in his heyday. And all the chix were goo goo for Mark Lindsey for awhile. Who was the guy that fronted Lynard Sknard that died in the crash? Can't remember his name right off the top of my head.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
02-19-04 11:33 PM
Scottfree Keef with the Winos.....
02-20-04 12:23 AM
Riffhard
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Freddie. Who the f is freddie???? Who was the guy that fronted Lynard Sknard that died in the crash? Can't remember his name right off the top of my head.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Freddie would be Freddie Mercury I'm guessing.

Lynyrd Skynyrd's frontman's name was Ronnie Van Zant.

Riffhard
02-20-04 01:04 AM
JaggaRichards James Brown
Little Richard
Jerry Lee Lewis
02-20-04 01:22 AM
IanBillen [quote]stewed & Keefed wrote:
Hi Ian,

Great story,that is so cool you new Stiv.
You are right about "Young,Loud and Snotty" I'm always playing it.
It was a shame their next album "We Have Come for Your Children"wasn't as good, because of poor production(Except for the excellent "Aint It Fun" and "Son Of Sam")

Steve

Yeah,
You know the weird thing is many people
around here are not familiar with Stiv. The people
who know music are but as for the general public
not really. I feel like man, One of the best front
men of all time grew up right over there. I we'll I
was going to say I could literally throw a rock and
hit his old house but I may be exagerrating. But He lived only a half mile from here. Stiv as I remember was
very cool and clam off stage. I never seen The dead boys
live but as for Stiv as a person not up on stage he was
very calm and mellow yet seemed very sure of himself...
I guess like alot of Rock Stars. I personally feel the Dead Boys are the best Punk outfit. I have an autographed album from the Whole band given to my dad. He has passed a long time ago. Cheeta from the band put "Ron, Cumming for your Children like a Motherfucker"! on the autographed album....talk about hard core huh lol. Any way I hear from locals (that know music) Stiv used to sit on his roof and play acoustic guitar before he got big. The Lords of the New Church with Stiv weren't too bad. They even had some MTV air play. They were really big over in Europe. Stiv had alot of money and stayed in Europe later in his career.
As you probably know he was strangely hit by a car in France I believe??? It was a strange incident. I never got the whole story. Can you fill me in on what happend there?
Ian
02-20-04 03:54 AM
Prodigal Son Goddamnit. We're talking about the baddest frontmen on this planet, right? Then where in the bloody hell is Paul McCartney. "Maybe I'm Amazed" anyone (no, that is a good song)? Well, does "Coming up" ring a bell? Oooo, and "Junior's Farm" puts all others to shame. "Helter Skelter"? The man who sang and wrote a song inspiring a psycho to think he needs to murder must be bad-ass. And he admitted to taking LSD and pot! If that ain't bad, I dunno what is.
And don't forget Jon Bon Jovi while you're at it! He's acted in forgettable movies too!!! Now THAT's bad-ass.
02-20-04 08:49 AM
glencar Bon Jovi isn't bad-ass. He just bad. And an ass.
02-20-04 10:18 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Frontmen. What about that Mike Love dude? Granted he's a drip but he did (still???) front up one of the greatest bands the US ever produced. I mean I like some of the Beach Boys stuff...just never was a rabid fan thats all. But sometimes its wise to give the devil his due.
02-20-04 10:20 AM
nankerphelge TTM -- did you see that the Young bros are starting to put a new release together and a tour is likely!!!

[Edited by nankerphelge]
02-20-04 10:24 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Yes I did run across that info on a ac/dc website last week. Hey, they actually came to Maine a couple of times. Of course I was fool enough to miss it.
02-20-04 11:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Last night I was riding back home after being on the road for the best part of 2 days. A four song set of Black Sabbath came on the radio...which woke me up LOL. I realize that Ozzy has kind of shot himself in the foot lately but that set was almost as good as it gets. It's kind of too bad that Ozzy and Black Sabbath couldn't have ironed out the problems. Ozzy was a great frontman for that band.
02-20-04 12:16 PM
telecaster 1. Roger Daltry

2. David St. Hubbins
02-20-04 01:06 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Goddamnit. We're talking about the baddest frontmen on this planet, right? Then where in the bloody hell is Paul McCartney. "Maybe I'm Amazed" anyone (no, that is a good song)? Well, does "Coming up" ring a bell? Oooo, and "Junior's Farm" puts all others to shame. "Helter Skelter"? The man who sang and wrote a song inspiring a psycho to think he needs to murder must be bad-ass. And he admitted to taking LSD and pot! If that ain't bad, I dunno what is.
And don't forget Jon Bon Jovi while you're at it! He's acted in forgettable movies too!!! Now THAT's bad-ass.

-I hope you are joking-???
02-20-04 02:14 PM
glencar The Beach Boys were all about the harmonies, Mr. Motels. The front man didn't matter as much. Plus, Mike Love is clearly beyond the pale psychologically speaking.
02-20-04 03:42 PM
FPM C10
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

-I hope you are joking-???

Actually, I hope HALF of you are joking.
02-20-04 04:37 PM
beautifulsurvivor Donald Fagen

...Joey - back me up here will ya? lol
02-20-04 04:53 PM
Some Guy Vince Neil was definately bad assed.
02-20-04 05:53 PM
glencar Now he just BIG-ASSED.
02-20-04 06:13 PM
Some Guy David Lee Roth was super bad assed.
02-20-04 06:51 PM
Some Guy Dude from the Cult was bad assed.
02-20-04 06:53 PM
glencar Ian Astbury? He toured with the new Doors last year. Yeah, he was good w/the Cult.
02-20-04 06:54 PM
Some Guy My wife has a Cult dvd that is ..... bad assed.
02-20-04 07:32 PM
Prodigal Son Of course I'm joking. Macca? Bon Jovi? I'd commit myself the day I consider them bad-assed. For real, it's hard to classify the top frontmen ever, forget bad-assed. But I'll name 10 in no specific order:
Mick Jagger
Roger Daltrey
David Bowie
Elvis
John Lennon (great natural singing voice)
Rod Stewart-for a time
Eric Burdon
Joe Strummer
Van Morrison
02-20-04 08:34 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
Plus, Mike Love is clearly beyond the pale psychologically speaking.

Well...I guess thats true. Certainly deluded...touring as the Beach Boys and all.
02-21-04 12:11 AM
Prodigal Son I read Heroes and Villians about how fucked up the Beach Boys were. Mike Love was the most loathsome and non-likeable. While I felt pity for Brian Wilson, admiration for Carl, shook my head at Dennis, didn't really care about Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston, but Mike is a jackass. He was always fighting with Dennis, got into meditation but became more mad and is generally a loathing asshole. He was abusive to his first wife and their children and got custody when he painted her as an irresponsible acid head. Then we all remember him ripping people at the Beach Boys induction in 1988, insulting the Beatles in attendance and dissing Macca and Mick for not showing up, calling them "chicken shit." And he has no talent too.
02-21-04 01:22 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:

Van Morrison

I think of Van as an anti-front man. He is one of the most incredible singers EVER, but a lousy front man by most standards. I was lucky enough to see him in 1978, and he stood with his back to the audience almost the entire night. I gather that he does that a lot. Stands stock-still and sings with his eyes closed.

Really, my definition of a "bad-assed front man" is just "someone who tries to act like Mick Jagger". He is the yardstick against which all others are measured.
Page: 1 2 3

BEST VIEWED HIGH