ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Happy 66th birthday Brian!
© ? with thanks to zooeyglass!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The man who saved Keith Richards Return to archive
19th February 2008 12:19 PM
Mr Jurkka
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...d=1773&ito=1490

Why the man who saved Keith Richards after he fell out of coconut tree now tours with the Rolling Stones
By RICHARD SIMPSON - More by this author » Last updated at 11:53am on 19th February 2008

Keith Richards refers to him as "my head man". And for once the term is entirely accurate.

Brain surgeon Andrew Law has been part of the Rolling Stones entourage for almost two years since performing a lifesaving operation to drill into Richards's skull after he fell out of a coconut tree.

At first, he remained beside the wrinkly rocker at the insistence of the band's insurers.

But he has since become 64-year- old Richards's constant companion and is now treated as a member of the family - as well as being on the Stones' payroll.

The reason, according to the 41-year-old New Zealander, is probably that Richards appreciates the chance to talk to someone outside the rock 'n' roll circle.

"I don't think he's run into too many neurosurgeons and I haven't run into too many rock stars."

Richards suffered his accident in April 2006 while on holiday in Fiji during a break in the Stones' A Bigger Bang world tour.

He and fellow-guitarist Ronnie Wood were trying to climb the tree when he fell to the ground, hitting his head.

He suffered a blood clot in the brain and was airlifted to Auckland's private MercyAscot Hospital, where Mr Law was called in to assess him at 2am.

"I wasn't too impressed being up at this time," he said.

"So I just said, 'What the f*** have you been up to?' I think that broke the ice. He just laughed."

Mr Law said the surgery required was far from minor.

"He was really unwell. I told him, 'I might kill you today' - he was very aware of it. He had to put his life in my hands."

Richards not only survived, but within six weeks was well enough to rejoin the world tour.

Insurers demanded Mr Law go along as well and he travelled with the group through Italy, Austria and Germany.

He now lives with Richards, his wife Patti Hansen and their family, dividing their time between homes in Connecticut and West Sussex.

"We go out and have fish and chips and a beer," he said.

Mr Law has received a rare insight into the "bizarre" lifestyle of Richards, Mick Jagger and the rest of the band.

They are regularly mobbed by fans and paparazzi, and have to be smuggled by bodyguards into cars at the back entrances of hotels.

"They know it's bizarre," he said.

"They are funny, clever people. Keith is a very strong-willed, intelligent, very cool and clever guy and incredibly brave. And he made me laugh."

He added that Richards's star quality was obvious. "He has style. Even when he just gets up to make some eggs and a piece of toast."

At the Stones' LA concert at Dodger Stadium in November 2006, Richards found a unique way to thank Mr Law, telling the crowd of 50,000 that he wouldn't have been there without him.

"He's from New Zealand and he's my head man, you know what I mean? He fixed the thing."

The surgeon said he responded just as Richards would have expected. "I just said, 'You cheeky b*****d"'."
19th February 2008 12:40 PM
the good Something strange about this. I'm sure he's not required to be there anymore, and most people in medicine wouldn't feel comfortable riding around the world with a rock star. Maybe Keith is paying him a ton of money.
[Edited by the good]
[Edited by the good]
19th February 2008 02:53 PM
Gazza Daily Mail are about 9-10 days behind the rest of the planet on this one!

http://novogate.com/board/968/241363-1.html

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)