ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Happy 66th birthday Brian!
© ? with thanks to zooeyglass!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Seriously, how come Keith never needed Drug Rehab? Return to archive
17th February 2008 03:48 PM
steel driving hammer And he's doing just fine!

Nothing but laughs!
17th February 2008 03:53 PM
mojoman rehab's for quitters
17th February 2008 03:58 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Keef went into a New York rehab clinic after his '77 Toronto bust.
17th February 2008 04:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
And he's doing just fine!

He is?

Er..he did do a course of rehab in 1977. Look it up. Read also Bob Greenfield's recent book on the making of Exile and it describes in quite harrowing detail the detox programs he was taking in Switzerland around that time. So serious was the problem that he was even making out his will.

Pointless comparison anyway. I'm sure what was available to people in his situation in 1977 was a fraction as to what is available now.

A more sensible way of looking at it would be to figure out how many people whose lifestyle killed them in the 60s and 70's would be around today if they had the rehab facilities which are commonplace now.

Brian Jones for starters.

Or even how many people getting treatment now would have bought the farm had they had the same problems 30 years ago.

Ronnie Wood for example.
[Edited by Gazza]
17th February 2008 04:32 PM
MrPleasant "Cold turkey is not so bad after you've done it ten or twelve times."
17th February 2008 04:35 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
"Cold turkey is not so bad after you've done it ten or twelve times."

More b.s. from the mythology machine. As noted above, Keith did go through rehab-like treatments. And, more important, he never stopped doing drugs!
17th February 2008 04:36 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

As noted above, Keith did go through rehab-like treatments. And, more important, he never stopped doing drugs!

I know. I just like the quote.
17th February 2008 05:33 PM
fireontheplatter i have been in and out of rehab enough times for both keith and i

everybody say ow
17th February 2008 06:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Nothing but laughs! Seriously, how come Keith never needed Drug Rehab?

He only needs policemen rehab!

Keithfucius say

" We have never had a problem with drugs - only with policemen "

oooooh... aaaaaah... Thanks Master Keithfucius

17th February 2008 06:09 PM
Zack Keith doesn't do drugs anymore. He only smokes pot and snorts coke.
17th February 2008 06:24 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Zack wrote:
Keith doesn't do drugs anymore. He only smokes pot and snorts coke.

You make Bono sad.
17th February 2008 06:28 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Zack wrote:

and drink, definitively a heavy drug
17th February 2008 06:43 PM
stonedinaustralia quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MrPleasant wrote:
"Cold turkey is not so bad after you've done it ten or twelve times."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

More b.s. from the mythology machine. As noted above, Keith did go through rehab-like treatments. And, more important, he never stopped doing drugs!

well speaking as someone who has done it, in a way he's right - as he has said in 25x5 it's really just three days climbing walls - (although i'd say more like five or six) -it's no fun no doubt about it - and your sleep patterns can take a bit longer to return to normal

it is nightmareish - to a point - but popular depictions of withdrawal- see e.g. sinatra in the man with golden arm - are a bit distorted - they seem to sensationalize or over dramatize the physical aspects in order to illustrate or symbolize the deeper problem of the addiction which is the psychological aspect - that was true of my experience too - while the stomach cramps were far from pleasant the scariest thing was the "voices in my head" that surfaced for a couple of nights when in that weird state where you are half awake and half asleep - and getting good sleep was also difficult but you just have to deal with it -taking downers to sleep while coming off opiates is recipe for bad craziness (see the Appendix to Naked Lunch)

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
17th February 2008 08:32 PM
glencar Steelie, this one's weak, man.
18th February 2008 03:00 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
Zack wrote:

Amen.

Photobucket
18th February 2008 09:49 AM
guitarman53 I can't imagine Keith going to drug rehab, he's had his severe bottoms with Heroin, then he replaced it with booze, & from what was mentioned, other drugs, he's as tough as nails.
If he is a alcoholic, then he's world's apart from people I know who are that way, there's such a thing as a heavy drinker, who are not alcoholics.
From the big book of Alcoholics anonymous.
Then we have a certain type of hard drinker, he may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically & mentally, it may cause him to die a few years before his time, if a sufficiently strong reason --ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a Doctor--becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult & troublesome & may even need medical attention.
18th February 2008 01:34 PM
Dan
quote:
guitarman53 wrote:
I can't imagine Keith going to drug rehab, he's had his severe bottoms with Heroin, then he replaced it with booze, & from what was mentioned, other drugs, he's as tough as nails.
If he is a alcoholic, then he's world's apart from people I know who are that way, there's such a thing as a heavy drinker, who are not alcoholics.
From the big book of Alcoholics anonymous.
Then we have a certain type of hard drinker, he may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically & mentally, it may cause him to die a few years before his time, if a sufficiently strong reason --ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a Doctor--becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult & troublesome & may even need medical attention.

If the story about his wife sneaking him booze in the hospital is true then he definitely fits the definition of an alcoholic.

Also Keith doesn't have to function at the same level as most people so he can stay drunk all the time.
18th February 2008 01:48 PM
sirmoonie Millions of $$$$, travels the world, swank hotels, meets interesting people wherever he goes, does whatever the hell he wants, has never worked a serious day in his life - exactly why would he want to pay some pious, judgmental quacks to tell him that he led his whole life the wrong way?
18th February 2008 03:37 PM
gypsy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Millions of $$$$, travels the world, swank hotels, meets interesting people wherever he goes, does whatever the hell he wants, has never worked a serious day in his life - exactly why would he want to pay some pious, judgmental quacks to tell him that he led his whole life the wrong way?

Word
18th February 2008 08:54 PM
*ginda
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Millions of $$$$, travels the world, swank hotels, meets interesting people wherever he goes, does whatever the hell he wants, has never worked a serious day in his life - exactly why would he want to pay some pious, judgmental quacks to tell him that he led his whole life the wrong way?

You've just described George Bush.
19th February 2008 01:19 PM
gimmekeef Why spend weeks in rehab when in a few minutes you can have all your blood switched out?..(my fave bs Keithism)
19th February 2008 02:36 PM
Joey
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

and drink, definitively a heavy drug

19th February 2008 05:10 PM
Make It Funky Keith Richards is the personification of a person with an addictive personality. Try as he may, he wont ever be able to stop drinking, snorting, getting high or chasing that dragon, as he is the definition of what a drug addict is. However, there is no value added to that, or opinion. Its just a fact. He's not a bad person for being that way. its just who he is. He doesnt know any different, than always needing to have a buzz on, drinking, stoning.. its a lifestyle.. Im sure we've all been there.. thing is, he can afford it, and has minders around him to take care of him.. He would not be Keith Richards if he was any different than how he is. Besdies, he doesnt consider he needs rehabilitation. He can handle it. Its the Ronnie Woods who cant. I would lose all respect for Keith Richards if he stopped dabbling wiht heroin and coke. I dont want him to be any other way than that - because that is who he is!

Cheers!
19th February 2008 07:01 PM
Jaxx rehab plus a full blood transfusion--in canada?. is that like changing your oil or something?
20th February 2008 01:30 AM
Make It Funky yeah, it'd be not unlike drinkin' a bakers dozen of Guinness! I think the only reason Keith Richards detoxed, was for tax/financial/immigration/legal reasons. I mean, what other reason(s) could their be to order him to be somethign that he's not?? Certainly not health related. Perhaps totalling a Bentley a few times, or getting busted too too many times might inspire you to get off drugs.. but.. we dont live that world. We dont have the luxury of having Spanish Tony, or mafia connections, up-market doctors/ prescriptions, or affiliations with notorious motorcycle clubs to get us hi-grade narcotics.

*wishin and hopin...* haha
20th February 2008 11:00 PM
oldkr keith rehabbed a bunch of times, in many ways it was a better process back then -- in that you actually got rehabbed instead of new teeth tits and a tan - ok -keith got the teeth and the tan.

OLDKR
20th February 2008 11:17 PM
andrews27
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

I work, am broke, have met decades of evil people and inconsequential wasters of my time, and haven't gone past Canada in 20 years. Still I won't submit to pious, judgemental quacks.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)