ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Happy 66th birthday Brian!
© ? with thanks to zooeyglass!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones To Play Mandelas 90th BDay Party? Return to archive
16th February 2008 03:45 PM
gimmekeef Rumour about a Hyde Park show in June...Cant imagine the boys playing if they werent top billed and closers.Spice Girls?...ggeeeessshhhh..Maybe Zep will play this too...or its all bs maybe:

THE SPICE GIRLS - SPICE GIRLS TO PLAY AT MANDELA'S BIRTHDAY?

The SPICE GIRLS may be planning one final performance at NELSON MANDELA's 90th birthday party.

The girls have recently announced that their upcoming concert in Toronto will be their last ever as a group, however a report in the Mirror states that the organisers of Mandela's party are desperate to have them sing.

"Nelson is desperate for them to perform one last time - and he's confident it will happen. He first met the Spices in 1997 and called them his 'heroes', so he has deep admiration for them," a source told the newspaper.

Other performers at the Hyde Park event in June will include QUEEN and BONO.

The news provider added that RIHANNA, JAY-Z and the ROLLING STONES are also being approached to play a part in the famous humanitarian's special day.

Meanwhile, rumours about further shows may surprise GINGER SPICE GERI HALLIWELL who has stated that the band will not be seen on stage together again when their current world tour finishes.

Speaking to Billboard magazine, Geri, who left the group in 1998, said that she was "amazed" the group managed to organise more than one show together.

"So right now I'm thinking this is it. This is the last time you will ever get to see this girl power, the five Spices on stage as one," she continued.

The SPICE GIRLS have brought their current tour to an early end amid rumours of arguments.

However, they have denied any rifts saying that dates have been cancelled due to "family and personal commitments".

16th February 2008 06:11 PM
Gazza Not a prayer, IMO
16th February 2008 06:18 PM
zooeyglass
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

"Nelson is desperate for them to perform one last time - and he's confident it will happen. He first met the Spices in 1997 and called them his 'heroes', so he has deep admiration for them," a source told the newspaper.

If Nelson Mandela considers the Spice Girls "heroes", I think I'd better reconsider what my understanding of that word is.
18th February 2008 03:46 AM
corgi37 I doubt they would ever do such a lame thing.
18th February 2008 06:04 AM
guitarman53 If Queen is performing, who's the lead singer?
18th February 2008 08:46 AM
Gazza Presumably it's still Paul Rodgers (ex-Free/Bad Company.

Somewhat ironic if they performed at a show like this, as they played Sun City during the apartheid era in the mid 80s and were pilloried for doing so when pretty much every other western rock act was boycotting the place
18th February 2008 09:02 AM
gimmekeef Thinking this through it seems far fetched at best and even less likeley Stones appear.With U2 in studio now I could see them showing up to get some splash for a new cd.And why would the piece center on Spice Girls?.gimmeabreak
18th February 2008 01:31 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Thinking this through it seems far fetched at best and even less likeley Stones appear.With U2 in studio now I could see them showing up to get some splash for a new cd.And why would the piece center on Spice Girls?.gimmeabreak

Because they are wrapping up the best tour of the year if not the best tour in history, so they are thee hot thing right now.
18th February 2008 03:57 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Dan wrote:

Because they are wrapping up the best tour of the year if not the best tour in history, so they are thee hot thing right now.

Best in history is quite an accomplishment.On what basis would you say it was potentially the best ever?
18th February 2008 04:31 PM
speedfreakjive u2 won't do it, they are rumoured to be doing a Prince style residency at the O2 in London in the summer
18th February 2008 04:50 PM
mojoman
quote:
zooeyglass wrote:

If Nelson Mandela considers the Spice Girls "heroes", I think I'd better reconsider what my understanding of that word is.

i'd like the spice girls to perform in my bedroom
18th February 2008 05:12 PM
Joey
quote:
mojoman wrote:

i'd like the spice girls to perform in my bedroom

18th February 2008 05:16 PM
Dan
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

Best in history is quite an accomplishment.On what basis would you say it was potentially the best ever?

The way it made me feel.
18th February 2008 05:22 PM
Gazza
quote:
Dan wrote:

The way it made me feel.

I hope you didnt do what they did, and finish prematurely.....
18th February 2008 07:19 PM
Dan
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I hope you didnt do what they did, and finish prematurely.....

Not by the 5th time...

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)