ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Happy 66th birthday Brian!
© ? with thanks to zooeyglass!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: bradys true colors and his coach too Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
7th February 2008 01:08 PM
Nellcote I only caught the end of the hbo show, did not know it was curtains. Another NFL Network grab, probably.

Public perception is the Pats have won too much.
That's how the worm turned.
Couple that with the steely 'tude, which is not always a good thing, Brady being crucified for being an out of wedlock father, the whole Spygate thing, Pats had the perfect storm for national hatred.
It will not go away anytime soon either.

The NFL East will be the place to be again, with The Tuna nearer to home. The division needs good games.

Pats will probably shop # 7 pick for help in the d, where it is needed.

Upward & Onward!
7th February 2008 01:25 PM
Got Me Rockin
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I only caught the end of the hbo show, did not know it was curtains. Another NFL Network grab, probably.

Couple that with the steely 'tude, which is not always a good thing, Brady being crucified for being an out of wedlock father, the whole Spygate thing, Pats had the perfect storm for national hatred.

The NFL East will be the place to be again, with The Tuna nearer to home. The division needs good games.

Upward & Onward!

The NFC East wasl already the place to be. For the second year in a row 3 teams made the playoffs.
7th February 2008 01:54 PM
gimmekeef HBO's show was long overdue to go....besides anything that gets Collinsworth off my TV even a bit is a wonderful thing.His hatred of the Steelers is so blatant.So who is next years Giants?

Vikings maybe? (yah need a QB)
Browns ? (still D work to be done)
Bucs ? (Garcia?)
Eagles ? (see above)

My pick to win it all is Jags..hate em but there a wideout and a pass rusher from the big show...
7th February 2008 06:10 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
HBO's show was long overdue to go....besides anything that gets Collinsworth off my TV even a bit is a wonderful thing.His hatred of the Steelers is so blatant.So who is next years Giants?

Vikings maybe? (yah need a QB)
Browns ? (still D work to be done)
Bucs ? (Garcia?)
Eagles ? (see above)

My pick to win it all is Jags..hate em but there a wideout and a pass rusher from the big show...

Comon, Collingsworth is great, plus he has the best hair in broadcasting.
7th February 2008 06:49 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
chevysales wrote:
on another note i was saddened to watch the last ever hbo airing of inside the nfl last nite... "the show the pro's watch" has ended after some 30 plus years... a bigger loss for fans of football, nfl films and harry carey voice overs. RIP INFL you will be missed.

Agree.

BTW, the Harry is Kalas, not Caray.

7th February 2008 06:54 PM
Zack
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Agree.

Harry Carey was a guy who announced baseball in Chicago for about a century. He died a few years ago.
7th February 2008 09:10 PM
robpop Wow, Nobody started another Super Bowl thread today.
7th February 2008 09:46 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
Zack wrote:

Harry Carey was a guy who announced baseball in Chicago for about a century. He died a few years ago.

Common Zack, how bout' a little respect, I think he's earned that right. The late great Sir Harry Carry, is a God damn American icon! What are you Canadian?...

He was a Cubs fan and a Bud man, to the end.

Photobucket

RIP

Chicago Cubs
Sir Harry went from local favorite to national phenomenon, however, after he joined the Cubs in 1981. At the same time White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf was unsuccessfully floating a pay-TV scheme for White Sox games, thereby rendering Caray all but invisible, the Cubs' television outlet, WGN, had become among the first of the cable television superstations, offering their programming to providers across the United States for free, and Caray became as famous nationwide as he'd long been on the South Side and, previously, in St. Louis.

The timing was fortuitous especially when the Cubs ended up winning the National League East division title in 1984, led by pitcher Rick Sutcliffe and future Hall of Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg, and playing thanks to WGN to a nationwide audience. Millions came to love the microphone-swinging Caray, continuing his White Sox practice of leading the home crowd in singing "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" during the seventh inning stretch, mimicking his mannerisms, his gravelly voice, his habit of mispronouncing or slurring some players' names (which some of the players themselves mimicked in turn), and even his trademark barrel-shaped wide-rimmed glasses.

Caray's national popularity never really flagged after that, although time eventually took a toll on him. Nicknamed "The Mayor of Rush Street", a reference to Chicago's famous tavern-dominated neighbourhood and Caray's well-known taste for Budweiser, illness and age began to drain some of Caray's skills, even in spite of a remarkable recovery from a 1987 stroke. There were occasional calls for him to retire, but he was kept aboard past WGN's normal mandatory retirement age, an indication of just how popular he really was.

[edit] The seventh-inning stretch
His famous seventh-inning stretch singing of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" came about almost by accident, during his tenure with the White Sox. Habitually singing the song in the broadcast booth when it played by organist Nancy Faust, Caray was doing it one afternoon when WMAQ radio producer/broadcaster Jay Scott decided to open the booth mikes on him without his realizing it. (Scott had suggested the idea in a memo some years before, but Caray had rejected the idea. He accepted it once it caught on with the home fans.) For the rest of his career, Caray enthusiastically led the song's singing during the seventh-inning stretch, using a hand-held microphone and holding it out outside the booth window. And, he inserted the home team's name for "the home team" in the song's lyric, a practice that has been copied by fans around the majors singing the same song.

Many of these performances began with Caray speaking directly to the Wrigley faithful, either about the state of the day's game, or the Chicago weather, while the park organ held the opening chord of the song. Then with his trademark opening, "Alright! Lemme hear ya! Ah-One! Ah-Two! Ah-Three!" Harry would launch into his distinctive, down-tempo version of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame". For the lyrics "One, Two, Three, strikes you're out...." Harry would usually hold the microphone out to the crowd to punctuate the climactic end of the song. And if the visitors were ahead in that game, Harry would typically make a plea to the Cubs offense: "Let's get some runs!"

The seventh-inning stretch routine became Caray's best-remembered trademark; after his death, the Cubs began a practice of inviting guest celebrities, local and national, to lead the singing Caray-style. The use of "guest conductors" has continued into the 2007 season.

[edit] Personality and style
Caray had a number of broadcasting partners and colleagues through the years, some of whom made known their dislike of the man. Milo Hamilton, especially, never forgave Caray for taking what he thought was his job-to-be as the Cubs anchor once Brickhouse retired. Caray's long-time St. Louis partner, Jack Buck, was guarded in his comments about Caray in his own autobiography, while acknowledging that he sometimes felt held back by Caray. However, Caray also didn't lack for broadcast companions who played well with and off him. With the White Sox his longest-lasting partner was the eccentric and knowledgeable former outfielder Jimmy Piersall; with the Cubs, his partner was the equally knowledgeable but rather less eccentric former pitcher Steve Stone.

Caray was well-known for his frequent exclamation of "Holy Cow!" He trained himself to say that expression, to avoid any chance of using profanity on the air. (This on-air expression was later used by New York Yankees broadcaster Phil Rizzuto.) Caray also avoided any risk of mis-calling a home run, using what became a trademark home run call: It might be . . . it could be . . . it IS! A home run! Holy cow! On p.51-52 of his 1989 autobiography, Holy Cow!, Caray said he first used the "It might be..." part of that expression on the air while covering a college baseball tournament in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the early 1940s. He also said that was probably the first time he said "Holy cow!" on the air, an expression he used all his life in situations where his street-kid tendency to use X-rated language was unacceptable.

His catchphrases of "Holy Cow!" and "Cubs win! Cubs win!" after every Cub triumph, which always seemed to represent genuine, unfeigned enthusiasm, carrying on the upbeat tradition of his predecessor Jack Brickhouse. While with the White Sox, of course, he had exclaimed "Sox win! Sox win!" and "Cardinals win! Cardinals win!" when with St. Louis. He said later that his firing from the Cardinals changed his outlook and made him realize that his passion was for the game itself, and the fans, more than anything else.

In 1987, the Cubs had Ryne Sandberg, Jim Sundberg, and Scott Sanderson on the roster. Caray often confused these names and it was not uncommon for him to refer to "Jim Sandberg", "Ryne Sanderson", or "Scott Sundberg". Caray was intrigued by unusual names, and one of his frequent on-air bits was to try to pronounce a multi-syllabic name backwards.

Caray originally had a reputation for mastering all aspects of broadcasting - writing his own copy, conducting news interviews, writing and presenting editorials, covering other sports such as University of Missouri football, and hosting a sports talk program.

[edit] Non-baseball work
Though best known and honoured for baseball work, Caray had also called Missouri Tigers football, St. Louis University Billiken basketball, and St. Louis Hawks basketball in the 1950s and '60s. Nationally, he broadcast three World Series (all involving the Cardinals) and three Cotton Bowl games.

[edit] Death
Caray maintained a winter home in Palm Springs, California, along with his legal residence in Chicago.[1] As discussed in Steve Stone's 1999 book, Where's Harry? (p.177-184), Caray was at a Palm Springs restaurant on February 14, 1998, celebrating Valentine's Day with Dutchie, when he collapsed and was rushed to a hospital in Rancho Mirage, California. He never regained consciousness, and died of cardiac arrest with resulting brain damage there four days later.[2]

[edit] Legacy
Harry Caray's body is interred in All Saints Cemetery in Des Plaines, Illinois.

Following his death, during the entire 1998 season the Cubs wore a patch on the sleeves of their uniforms depicting a caricature of Caray. Cubs slugger Sammy Sosa dedicated each of his 66 home runs that season to Caray.

Caray had five children, three with his first wife, Dorothy, and two with his second wife, Marian. His son Skip Caray followed him into the booth as a baseball broadcaster with the Atlanta Braves, his son Chris had a long career with Maritz Travel before passing away at an early age from brain cancer, and his daughter Patricia worked for Coca-Cola in Atlanta before retiring to Bradenton, FL where she currently resides.

Caray's two daughters with wife Marian both opted for careers in the healthcare field. Michele lives in St. Louis, MO and works as a Registered Nurse with OptumHealth Behavioral Solutions, a division of UnitedHealth Group. Daughter Elizabeth lives in Phoenix, AZ and works as a pharmaceutical representative for Bristol-Myers Squibb.

Caray's broadcasting legacy was extended to a third generation, as his grandson Chip Caray replaced Harry as the Cubs' play-by-play announcer from 1998 to 2004. He later returned to work with his father Skip on Atlanta Braves broadcasts, where he had worked for awhile in the early 1990s. In what Harry Caray said was one of his proudest moments, he worked some innings in the same broadcast booth with his son and grandson, during a Cubs/Braves game on May 13, 1991. On-air in a professional setting, the younger men would refer to their seniors by their first names. During 1998, Chip would refer to the departed Harry in third person as "Granddad".

Another of Caray's grandsons, Eric Stanger (son of Patricia Caray) is also enjoying a very successful career in the radio business, as Director of Talk Programming for ABC Radio Networks, and Director of Affiliate Relations for the syndicated radio personality Sean Hannity.

[edit] Honors and special events
On October 23, 1987 Harry Caray's Italian Steakhouse opened in the Chicago Varnish Company Building, a Chicago Landmark building that is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There are now six restaurants, a 10pin bowling lounge, and an off-premises catering division which bear the Harry Caray name. The original restaurant has received numerous awards for its food and service, and features many items of memorabilia, even a statue of a "Holey Cow" (complete with holes!) wearing the trademark Harry Caray eyeglasses.

In 1989 the Baseball Hall of Fame presented Caray with the Ford C. Frick Award for "major contributions to baseball." He also has his own star on the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

Caray's style became fodder for pop culture parody as well, including a memorable Saturday Night Live recurring sketch featuring Caray (played by Will Ferrell) as a host of a space and astronomy TV talk show, in which his questions to scientists and professors included whether or not they would eat the moon if it were made of spare ribs. The sketch continued after Caray's death. When asked by Joan Allen (impersonating NASA flight director Linda Ham) about his death, Will Ferrell as Caray replied, "What's your point?" The Bob and Tom Show also had a Harry Caray parody show called "After Hours Sports" which eventually became "Afterlife Sports" after Caray's death. In 2005, the cartoon Codename: Kids Next Door had two announcers reporting a baseball game. One was a parody of Caray, the other, Howard Cosell. The most widely-accepted impersonation of Caray in Chicago was done by Jim Volkman, heard most often on the Loop and AM1000. Also, comedian Artie Lange, in his standup, talks about Caray.

Caray can be briefly heard in the 1986 film Ferris Bueller's Day Off, as a Cub game is shown on a TV in a pizza parlor.

7th February 2008 09:48 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:
Wow, Nobody started another Super Bowl thread today.

Wait to it gets a little closer to draft time. It's hard to give a crap about the Pats or the Gints a week later.
7th February 2008 11:42 PM
robpop
quote:
TampabayStone wrote:

Wait to it gets a little closer to draft time. It's hard to give a crap about the Pats or the Gints a week later.

Don't make me start a college hoops thread. I'll do it. So help me I'll do it.

Send it in Jerome!!!!!

8th February 2008 02:13 AM
TampabayStone
quote:
robpop wrote:

Send it in Jerome!!!!!

Photobucket

Not that big in col BB, I will jump on that bandwagon in a second though, if USF ever gets good..

Photobucket
8th February 2008 08:04 AM
chevysales
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Agree.

i stand corrected
8th February 2008 10:26 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
robpop wrote:

Send it in Jerome!!!!!

I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH BOBBY MARTIN.REMEMBER HIM?

8th February 2008 04:43 PM
glencar
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I only caught the end of the hbo show, did not know it was curtains. Another NFL Network grab, probably.

Upward & Onward!

I think the Spygate thing is what caused the most anger.
8th February 2008 11:19 PM
robpop
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

I WENT TO HIGH SCHOOL WITH BOBBY MARTIN.REMEMBER HIM?

Yes, I forgot about him until you brought him up. I met him while I was a student at Pitt at an all night cheese steak place.

Do you remember Rod Brookin from the same team? He was working for a company that we did business with a few years ago. That was before he became CCAC head coach and got arrested, and went to jail for something stupid. Anyway Rod weighs over 400 pounds now. I even offered to play him in a one on one hoops matched in which he declined. Hell, a parade all American back off from me. Seriously though, Brooking told me all the shit that was offered to him while he was being recruited. HIs Sryacuse story is the best. Man, I don't know how any kid could say no to the 'Cuse.
12th February 2008 11:26 AM
Sir Stonesalot >but they aren't a pop band<

OK, they are not a pop band to you...but they are to me. Aerosmith can at least claim to cloud the rock/pop line...but it's still mainstream to me.

Here...look where I'm coming from.

Lyres = Rock n Roll
Boston = Mainstream Pop

Pixies = Rock n Roll
Aerosmith = Mainstream Pop

The Standells = Rock n Roll
J Giels Band = Mainstream Pop

I fully understand that 95% of the music buying population will disagree with me. But I have a very specific sound and attitude that I relate to real by-god Rock n Roll. I can't adequately put my definitioin into words...and I have tried...If a band, regardless of popularity, does not fit into that sound or attitude....then, IMO, they are something other than a Rock n Roll band. Perhaps Mainstream Pop isn't the right words or description. I dunno what the right label is...but for me, it sure as shit ain't MY version of Rock n Roll.

Your mileage may vary.

Now...whoever you are...the dude that said I was retarded. I'm too lazy to go look up your screen name.

This is for you...

12th February 2008 09:19 PM
lotsajizz boy, are you dumb
13th February 2008 12:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot Thanks Jizzy.

OK, here...you can have one too.

13th February 2008 04:02 PM
gypsy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Thanks Jizzy.

OK, here...you can have one too.

I thought you retired from the board?
18th February 2008 07:10 PM
Nellcote Yes, well, we are moving on.
Pablo has been put away for the season
Allen helped the NBA East win the all star game...
Bruins, well some things haven't changed
Three weeks later, Red Sox pitchers & catchers are in, Schilling's already whining.
Coach B has made his statement.
Oh, and speaking of statement, Fitzy's here to show everyone the (insert Barry White here) love, including Giants fans....

[Edited by Nellcote]
18th February 2008 07:30 PM
snap13 DOLPHINS!!!! STILL ONLY TEAM WITH A PERFECT SEASON!!! YEAH!!!!!!!
18th February 2008 09:13 PM
robpop
quote:
snap13 wrote:
DOLPHINS!!!! STILL ONLY TEAM WITH A PERFECT SEASON!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

YES SUCH A PERFECT FRANCHISE. GET A LIFE. YEAH!!!!
18th February 2008 09:17 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
snap13 wrote:
DOLPHINS!!!! STILL ONLY TEAM WITH A PERFECT SEASON!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

Nigga pleaze!

Photobucket
Page: 1 2 3

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)