ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NEED ADVICE----BEST '73 DVD???? Return to archive
February 17th, 2005 07:36 PM
IrelandCalling4 Greetings to one an' all here in Stones-land,

The '73 tour,a fabulous tour in my 'umble opinion,but,there's a severe shortage of any decent footage! Okay,I have the "Australian Tour Special" doc.,but,no live-shows really.

I have seen two DVD's being mentioned--"Travelogue" and "European Tour 1973",but,are these ALL comprised of dodgy 8mm footage? Are they good?

Any advice would be great!

'Go raibh maith agat'(Irish for 'Thank you')!

P.S. I have all of the 'Licks' tour Pro-shots,but no boots as of yet.For those in the know,are there one or two essential bootlegs from this tour to be had???
February 17th, 2005 10:09 PM
jpenn11 The only thing I recall worth seeing is SFM from Frankfurt. Quite remarkable and patched onto various discs with other stuff.

Most of the other stuff is silent or badly dubbed. I think the Cologne show is the closest to live but the songs are cut, the video and audio I've seen are poor and it is probably dubbed. Probably not worth seeking out unless there is a better version.

There are rumours of Vienna or Brussels being filmed, but I've not heard reports of anyone who has seen either.

Hopefully, the real experts will be able to lead you to something useful or the best version of the Cologne stuff.

One thing though: agreed, it was a great tour.

[Edited by jpenn11]
February 18th, 2005 04:43 AM
Gazza I don't believe there's anything from this tour in circulation that could be remotely described as 'essential'

A few short clips here and there, mostly super 8 footage, but nothing of note apart from a couple of professionally filmed songs such as Street Fighting Man from Frankfurt (which is BBC footage and I presume is the same as that mentioned above).
[Edited by Gazza]
February 18th, 2005 05:24 AM
Jumping Jack I have a very short segment purported to be from Brussels so I keep hope alive that it was in fact filmed and one day finds its way into circulation.
February 18th, 2005 05:33 AM
Jumping Jack As for Licks DVD boots, First Union Center is the best of the bunch.

02 Palais Royale 8/16 Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A-
02 “Palais Royale” Exile Version Pro Shot (2 DVD) A
02 Fleet 9/3 Audience Shot complete show (2 DVDs) B
02 Chicago (Cominski) 9/13 Audience Shot 1st 2 songs missing (1 DVD) B+
02 Gillette 9/15 Audience Shot - Lots of missing video and head/sky shots (1 DVD) B
02 Veteran’s Stadium 9/18 (great video, audience audio) Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A-
02 First Union Center 9/20 Audience Shot (1 DVD) A
02 MSG 09/26 Screen Shot (1 DVD) D
02 NJ 9/28 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B
02 Fed Ex 10/4 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B
02 Toronto Air Canada Center Audience Shot 10/16 (1 DVD) A-
02 Toronto Skydome 10/18 Audience Shot (1 DVD) A-
02 Ft. Lauderdale 10/22 Audience Shot - Lots of missing video and head/sky shots (1 DVD) B
02 Miami 10/23 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B
02 Staples 10/31 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B+
02 Oakland 11/12 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B-
03 Montreal 1/8 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B
03 MSG 1/16 “The Other Show” Audience Shot (1 DVD) B+
03 MSG 1/16 Pro Shot (1 DVD) A-
03 MSG HBO 1/18 Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A
03 MSG HBO 1/18 - Emmy Award Edition - Jointrip version (2 DVDs) A
03 United Center 1/22 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B
03 Denver 2/1 Audience Shot (1 DVD) C+
03 Budokan 3/10 Audience Shot (1 DVD) A-
03 Yokohama 3/12 Audience Shot - Lots of missing video and head/sky shots (1 DVD) B
03 Tokyo Dome 3/15 Jointrip Audience Shot (2 DVDs) A-
03 Tokyo Dome 3/16 Audience Shot - Lots of blocked views B
03 Bangalore PPV Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A+
03 Bangalore "Indian Affair" 04/04 D-Stone Pro Shot (1 DVD) A
03 Munich 6/8 Audience Shot Lots of blocked shots (1 DVD) D
03 Milan 6/10 Audience Shot, video OK, poor sound (1 DVD) C
03 “Live In Italy – Milano” 6/10 - 2 cam Audience Shot (2 DVDs) A- PAL
03 Milan “The Lateral Show” 06/10 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B PAL
03 Madrid 6/27 Lots of missing video and head/sky shots (1 DVD) C
03 Marseille 7/5 Audience Shot (2 DVDs) B PAL
03 Toronto 7/30 “SARS Concert” (2 DVDs) A
03 Rotterdam 8/11 Audience Shot, very bouncy video, (2 DVDs) B-
03 “Hong Kong Soundcheck” 11/7 (1 DVD) A
03 Hong Kong 11/7 Audience Shot (1 DVD) B
03 “Hong Kong TV Broadcast” 2 Stones songs, Santana, Prince Pro-Shot (1 DVD) A PAL
February 18th, 2005 11:04 AM
jpenn11
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I have a very short segment purported to be from Brussels so I keep hope alive that it was in fact filmed and one day finds its way into circulation.

Is the Brussels segment live, silent or dubbed?

I'm aware of a 10 minute news report about the Brussels story (Stones not allowed to play in France, setting up a show in Brussels for French fans who invaded Brussels by train, the show's being recorded and broadcast so the tour could be heard in France, etc.--I leave it to Gazza to correct me on the facts) that may contain some sample footage, but I'd heard it was silent footage: Rolling Stones Express - Semi-prof. doc. about Brussels 1973 -11 min.-

I earlier omitted a dubbed privately shot Wembley segment from 07/09/73: Happy/HTW/SFM, but it probably is in the typical poor quality.

Also, I don't know the contents of the OGWT with the RS from 1973 (10-23-73). Is it just an interview with MJ and no concert footage (same as 9-28-73)?

February 18th, 2005 11:34 AM
Jumping Jack It is dubbed and preceeded by kids on a train. 11 min time sounds about right. I think they play Star Star, but would have to go back and check it.
February 18th, 2005 01:05 PM
jpenn11 Thanks!!

Anyone know about the two OGWT '73?

Incidentally, there are also various videos of the Australian tour. I don't know if the one mentioned above is complete, but, while the videos may be better than some of the Euro 73 stuff, they are B&W and silent if I recall correctly.
February 18th, 2005 01:31 PM
monkeyman62 BRUSSELS WAS FILMED COMPLETE PRO SHOT
ACCORDING TO COMPLETE WORKS, MAYBE THAT GEM WILL SURFACE SOMEDAY
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood