ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Springsteen album to be released April 26; tour to follow Return to archive
February 16th, 2005 11:49 AM
GimmeExile From Billboard:

Springsteen Stares Down 'Devils' On New Album

Bruce Springsteen re-teams with producer Brendan O'Brien on his 19th album, "Devils & Dust," which Columbia will release on April 26. The 12-track set follows the format of Springsteen's '90s studio work, in which he was surrounded by a rotating cast of collaborators, including some members of the E Street Band.

The title cut has been in Springsteen's catalog for several years, and was dusted off in soundchecks for the E Street Band's run on last fall's Vote for Change tour, but never performed at a show.

Two of the tracks -- "Long Time Comin'" and "The Hitter" -- date back at least 10 years and were performed during the tour in support of the 1995 album "The Ghost of Tom Joad."

Like much of the material on that set, the songs are both first-person narratives, using details and fragmented scenes to sketch out a life's story. The first is about a father celebrating the optimism that comes with an awaited child; the second about a street fighter nearing the end of an unenviable career.

Springsteen will tour in support of the new album, but no details have been announced as to who will back him or what size venues he will play.

"Devils & Dust" is the artist's first studio album since 2002's O'Brien-produced "The Rising," which debuted at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 2.09 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. The tour in support of the set grossed $221.5 million from 121 shows reported to Billboard Boxscore.

As previously reported, Springsteen won a Grammy on Sunday for best solo rock vocal performance for the "Code of Silence," which was released on the 2003 collection "The Essential Bruce Springsteen."

Here is the track list for "Devils & Dust":

"Devils & Dust"
"All The Way Home"
"Reno"
"Long Time Comin'"
"Black Cowboys"
"Maria's Bed"
"Silver Palomino"
"Jesus Was an Only Son"
"Leah"
"The Hitter"
"All I'm Thinkin' About"
"Matamoras Banks"

-- Jonathan Cohen and Ben French, N.Y.
February 16th, 2005 12:53 PM
Lazy Bones GimmeExile, I noticed the pic in your avatar, and thought you'd be interested in this -
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/release-time-fades-away
February 16th, 2005 01:25 PM
GimmeExile Thanks, Lazy Bones! Yes, it is way overdue for release on CD. I thought Neil was in the process of releasing some of his last remaining vinyl treasures on CD, SACD, DVD-Audio, etc.

Btw, did you know that Cameron Crowe recreated the TIME FADES AWAY album cover in his film ALMOST FAMOUS? Check it out--there is a beautiful shot right before the band Stillwater come on stage.
February 16th, 2005 03:00 PM
Gazza I'm so excited at this news that I'm typing this with Joey's penis!
February 16th, 2005 03:40 PM
glencar I'm afraid this could turn out to be like those dreary mid-90's albums. Time will tell.
February 16th, 2005 03:45 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
glencar wrote:
I'm afraid this could turn out to be like those dreary mid-90's albums. Time will tell.

Well, it's not a rock album, but with Brendan O'Brien as producer it won't be boring.
February 16th, 2005 03:47 PM
Factory Girl Glennie, get Libertines "Up the Bracket" and thank me later.
February 16th, 2005 03:59 PM
Gazza >Two of the tracks -- "Long Time Comin'" and "The Hitter" -- date back at least 10 years and were performed during the tour in support of the 1995 album "The Ghost of Tom Joad."

he also gave (and played on) a song called "All the way home" to Southside johnny for one of his albums in 1991. I notice there's a song of that title listed here too. I'd be surprised if it's the same one.

Not really that unusual for Bruce to leave songs lying around and then re-work or find some use for them some time later. There's a few on "The Rising" which were a few years old, despite the "all inspired by 9/11" mythology

February 16th, 2005 04:00 PM
glencar
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Glennie, get Libertines "Up the Bracket" and thank me later.

FG, send it to me!
February 16th, 2005 06:20 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I'm so excited at this news that I'm typing this with Joey's penis!

i'm excited too gazza - can i use it after you??

tia
February 16th, 2005 06:44 PM
Gazza sure - it might take you a bit longer, though as he'll need time to 'recover'
February 16th, 2005 06:45 PM
stonedinaustralia LOL - thanks - i thought you might tell me to fuck off and use corgi's or something
February 16th, 2005 06:58 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Btw, did you know that Cameron Crowe recreated the TIME FADES AWAY album cover in his film ALMOST FAMOUS?

I'll check it out. Thanks.
February 16th, 2005 08:54 PM
Soldatti I'm waiting his new album, the last one was very good and I had that song "The Rising" on my head for weeks.
February 16th, 2005 10:14 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I'm waiting his new album, the last one was very good and I had that song "The Rising" on my head for weeks.

Quite honestly, Soldatti, I am too. I've never really been a fan of Springsteen's, but The Rising was an album that really grew on me - a lot faster than I thought.

Those early morning walks to work as the sun was coming up really seemed to set the stage so-to-speak for the music.
February 17th, 2005 05:13 AM
Gazza from www.backstreets.com

IT'S OFFICIAL!
Devils & Dust due on April 26
Well, as he said during the Blood Brothers documentary, it's the part Bruce hates, because now things are official. So it's the part we love. Springsteen's 19th album, Devils & Dust will be released on April 26. Not an E Street Band project, the album features the primary trio of Springsteen, Steve Jordan (drums), and Brendan O'Brien (bass). Produced (as The Rising was) by O'Brien, the new album was recorded at Thrill Hill Recording Studios in Los Angeles and New Jersey with additional engineering at Southern Tracks in Atlanta.

The track listing is:
1. Devils & Dust
2. All The Way Home
3. Reno
4. Long Time Comin'
5. Black Cowboys
6. Maria's Bed
7. Silver Palomino
8. Jesus Was an Only Son
9. Leah
10. The Hitter
11. All I'm Thinkin' About
12. Matamoras Banks

Speaking to Larry McShane of the Associated Press this week about the forthcoming album, Springsteen said, "A lot of it is set in the west, in what feels like a rural setting." In that sense, and judging by the song titles, it would seem to share much with 1995's The Ghost of Tom Joad; and yep, according to McShane, the album is a "quieter, more acoustic affair than The Rising... pedal steel guitar, harmonica and violin fill in the sparse, rootsy arrangements." "Long Time Comin'" and "The Hitter" will be familiar to those who followed the Tom Joad solo acoustic tour a decade ago, as songs that Bruce performed live but never released. He told McShane, "I was so excited after playing on that tour, I'd get off the stage and go write. Then I put those songs on the shelf for a while, until I had a chance to revisit them." That older material is mixed with newer songs, such as the title track, written as the war in Iraq began. Thematically, Springsteen described Devils & Dust to McShane as "the indivdual stories of people wrestling with their demons... It's about people working through their confusions, sometimes well and sometimes tragically." Read the full Associated Press story.

The official press release from Shore Fire Media also says that Springsteen is planning to tour to accompany the release of the album, and that "details will be announced shortly." For now, it's looking like anyone who missed the intimate acoustic tour that started ten years ago this fall will get another chance to witness Bruce in that kind of setting. According to the AP, Springsteen isn't yet sure whether he'll be playing solo or with a small band, but in either case the tour will be "an acoustic affair... targeting theaters and smaller venues."
- Updated February 16, 2005

February 17th, 2005 07:25 AM
glencar I can't wait for a similar press blast from a different act!
February 17th, 2005 07:41 AM
Gazza Indeed. They make Bruce look prolific.

Could be worse. Think how Kate Bush's fans feel. She only toured once - 25 years ago - and its been 12 years since her last album. It's expected "sometime in 2005".

Imagine how we'd react to that level of activity.
February 17th, 2005 07:55 AM
glencar I thought she had retired. Sounds like another Axl Rose type!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood