ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie recording with a Beach Boy! Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 16th, 2005 10:37 PM
kath oh, brian's the definition of the old term "shot loose". the guy was totally out of touch with everything for quite some time. he had some very bad/dangerous "handlers" and he had done a fuckin' SHITLOAD of acid for long periods of time. then he went through that "never getting out of bed" thing and got HUGE...

it a miracle the man can come back from that as well as he has. he is still "brian wilson-space cadet", but the magic of his musical genius seems to have survived. whether this story turns out to be bogus or not (although it IS on brian's "official" website), the idea of brian's genius and charlie's willingness to try new stuff and to explore other forms of music is very appealing to me.
February 17th, 2005 12:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
Check it out!

http://www.mikelovefanclub.com/
February 17th, 2005 01:01 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Just a blurb from Mike's bio to whet your appettite...

"Born on March 15, 1941 in Los Angeles, California, Mike wrote the lyrics to The Beach Boys' first song, "Surfin'," released in 1961. He then co-authored eleven Top 10 singles in five years with cousin Brian Wilson, a string of hits including "Fun, Fun, Fun," "I Get Around," "Help Me Rhonda," "California Girls" and "Good Vibrations."

The period between "Good Vibrations" (1966) and The Beach Boys' biggest selling hit "Kokomo" (1988) is the longest span of time between number one records of any artist in history. This feat demonstrates the ageless, timeless appeal of The Beach Boys. Mike Love is the co-author of both of these smash hits."

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
February 17th, 2005 01:39 PM
kath mike love could NEVER whet my appetite for anything.....he's a dickwad.
February 17th, 2005 02:04 PM
doo doo doo Dude
February 17th, 2005 02:45 PM
kath

mike love=poop toast.
February 17th, 2005 02:47 PM
glencar I'll never forget that weird tribute he did at the R&R HOF induction years ago. He went past Little Richard territory & stopped just short of Courtney Loveville. Totally freaky deaky.
February 17th, 2005 02:59 PM
doo doo doo Dude Does this bring backs memories glencar? Mike Love's speech from the 1988 R&R induction:

"I think it's wonderful to be here tonight, but I also think it's sad that there are other people who aren't here tonight, and those are the people who've passed away...those are the obvious ones. But the other not-so-obvious ones are people like Paul McCartney who couldn't be here tonight because he's in a lawsuit with Ringo and Yoko- that's what he said in a telegram to some high-priced attorney in this room, ya know? Now, that's a BUMMER because we're talking about Harmony in the world.
If we can't get it together in America and in England and harmony within our groups...I mean, believe it, you can believe it...the Beach Boys have their own (unintelligible) or whatever you call it, squabbles, but that's a BUMMER when MS. ROSS can't make it, ya know? The Beach Boys'll continue to do...we did about a hundred and eighty performances last year. I'd like to see the "MOPTOPS" match that-! I'd like to see MICK JAGGER get out on the stage and do "I Get Around" vs. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" ANY DAY NOW!
Now, a lot of people are gonna go outta this room tonight thinking that Mike Love is crazy...well, they been sayin' that for years! Ain't nothin' new about that! And now we're (slurring gets more pronounced) ssssittin' in this room with all this glitterati of the glissando...all 6% of us...and we're hasslin', we're fighting...(mumbles) squabbles, messin' around...what I want to see is this whole room recognize that there is One Earth here and I want us to do something FANTASTIC with all of this talent and this wonderful spirit and soul, and I'd like to see some people KICK OUT THE JAMS, and I challenge "The BOSS" to get up onstage and jam..!"
[Note: At this point, musical director Paul Shaffer plays the Theramin intro to 'Good Vibrations'. Love continues to rant.]

"I wanna see BILLY JOEL...see if he can still TICKLE IVORIES...lemme see! I know MICK JAGGER won't be here tonight, he's gonna have to stay in *burp* England. But, I'd like to see us in the Coliseum and he in Wembley Stadium, 'cause he's always been CHICKENSHIT to get on stage with the Beach Boys...!"
[Shaffer then tries to drown Love out by striking up the band, which inspires him to conclude] "...and we're gonna do it for World Peace and Love and Harmony. Yeah! Alright!"

Jagger, who Love accused of being in England, was sitting 20 ft. from the stage. Jagger got his revenge during the closing jam when he came across Love's shoes (which he always removes while singing). Jagger took them in the midst of 'Satisfaction' and threw them into the audience.
Bob Dylan later thanked Love for "not mentioning me" and added "I play a lot of dates every year, too. Peace, Love and Harmony is greatly important indeed, but so is Forgiveness and we gotta have that, too."
February 17th, 2005 03:42 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Wow...great speech!

February 17th, 2005 04:10 PM
justinkurian I think I just pissed in my pants...that was f'n hilarious. I vaguely remember that speech...but, thanks for reposting it!
February 17th, 2005 07:08 PM
time is on my side
quote:
He then co-authored eleven Top 10 singles in five years with cousin Brian Wilson

Actually it's a highly debatable point on whether or not he actually co-authored some of those songs. When many of those songs were first released and were hit singles, Mike Love's name was not listed on them (only Brian's was). If he actually co-authored these songs, why wasn't his name listed on them at the time of release??? There were songs released back then that did list his name so why wasn't his name listed on some of the others??? Mike Love has always struck me as someone with a rather large ego with an exaggerated opinion of himself. So it does seem kind of odd that his name wasn't intially listed. If he helped write the songs, why didn't he insist at the time that his name be included???

Why does Mike Love name appear on many of these songs today??? Well, Mike went and got himself a group of highly paid lawyers. He filed a lawsuit against Brian to have his name included a few decades after the fact. What could possibly have been the motivation which could have led Mike to file a lawsuit against his beloved cousin after all these years??? Could the fact that the royalties from these songs were worth millions had something to do with it??? Ultimately, the courts ruled in favor of Mike Love (did I mention he had a team of highly skilled lawyers working on his behalf???). Brian who hates any kind of conflict offered little defense and apparently just wanted the thing to go away.

So in my opinion there is a great deal of suspicion on whether or not Mike Love actually wrote many of the songs he is being credited with today. Maybe I'm biased as I personally find Mike Love repulsive or maybe I'm right. Who will ever know the real truth except the people involved??? Did I mention his team of highly trained skilled lawyers also sued so he could basically own the Beach Boys name????

[Edited by time is on my side]
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood