ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Charlie recording with a Beach Boy! Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 16th, 2005 09:00 AM
Tom Charlie Watts to Record an album with Brian Wilson.

The Express reports that Charlie Watts and former Beach Boy, Brian Wilson, plan to record an album together. The yet untitled album will be a record of Jazz favourites, including a few compositions by Wilson's father Murry. The recording is scheduled to start sometime in February with the final product to be released on the Higher Octave label

http://www.brianwilson-fans.com/

February 16th, 2005 09:15 AM
mac_daddy as long as it isnt that tool mike love...
February 16th, 2005 09:23 AM
keith_tif Charlie is right, Brian Wilson is a great artist!
February 16th, 2005 09:30 AM
FotiniD It's an enigma - they record with just about ANYONE except together And those recordings are released in light speed too!!!
February 16th, 2005 09:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
as long as it isnt that tool mike love...

LOL..thats what I feared when I read the thread title..

anyway, didnt the Beach Boys actually "fire" Brian some years ago?

Almost up there with Mick Taylor in the 'great career moves' stakes!
February 16th, 2005 09:44 AM
telecaster Brian Wilson actually moved into the suburbs right down the street from me

Nobody knows why

He lived there for about 3-4 years and had a nice recording studio in his basement

Huge house

Really strange
February 16th, 2005 09:44 AM
Joey

Sounds like the new Rolling Stones album is progressing right along ......................about as fast as a new WHO disc !

{ CA - RACK ! }

Off The Facade Ronnie !

Sassy !
February 16th, 2005 01:53 PM
kath brian wilson is (or at least was) a musical genius. some of the beach boy arrangements he did are unbelievably beautiful. i think this will be an interesting collaboration. i mean, the charlie/keltner thing was great!!! so i am very excited about this.

mike love is a complete jerk.....no talent and has now stolen the name "beach boys" and he is the only original band member there, and he booted out al jardin. what the fuck? he'll get what he has coming to him.....
February 16th, 2005 02:06 PM
Snappy McJack
quote:
kath wrote:
mike love is a complete jerk.....no talent and has now stolen the name "beach boys" and he is the only original band member there, and he booted out al jardin. what the fuck? he'll get what he has coming to him.....

You're right. Don't you just think "Kokomo" is awful? I can't stand it.
February 16th, 2005 02:19 PM
kath oh yeah, kokomo sucked. actually, they hadn't done anything very good for a long time, and when carl died, that was it as far as brilliance/creativity goes for the beach boys.
February 16th, 2005 02:45 PM
gimmekeef So great to see Charlie actively pursuing his passions....Hope he has "Fun Fun Fun Till Keith Comes a Callin!"
February 16th, 2005 03:42 PM
glencar Man, this might just be the most pointless thing Charlie's ever done. And didn't Murray beat the shit out of his son Brian?
February 16th, 2005 04:26 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Man, this might just be the most pointless thing Charlie's ever done. And didn't Murray beat the shit out of his son Brian?

Yes , one beating inflicted 'deafness ' in one of Brian Wilson's Ears .
February 16th, 2005 04:27 PM
glencar Wow, you actually posted something useful! What's going on, bro?
February 16th, 2005 04:28 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Wow, you actually posted something useful! What's going on, bro?

!!!!!!!!!!
February 16th, 2005 04:30 PM
kath aw glennie.....what's "pointless"??? i mean what was the "point" to the watts/keltner project?? charlie spreadin' his wings, that's what!! i think it's great!!

go charlie.

and woo hoo that brian wilson is still standing. who'd have thunk he'd be the last of the wilson brothers??
February 16th, 2005 04:31 PM
Joey
quote:
kath wrote:

go charlie.

and woo hoo that brian wilson is still standing. who'd have thunk he'd be the last of the wilson brothers??

!!!!
February 16th, 2005 05:06 PM
West 8 Does anyone have the album Smile? Any Good?
February 16th, 2005 05:18 PM
glencar
quote:
kath wrote:
aw glennie.....what's "pointless"??? i mean what was the "point" to the watts/keltner project?? charlie spreadin' his wings, that's what!! i think it's great!!

go charlie.

Maybe I'm wrong kath but B. wilson just seems like an empty shell of a man. It would be akin to pug & joey instead of Joshy & joey, know what I mean?
February 16th, 2005 05:18 PM
glencar Smile is okay.
February 16th, 2005 05:31 PM
IanBillen
Well Again,
It appears they are in no hurry to get to that Rolling Stones album.

A. This means very good news on it.
or
B. Another sensless delay.

I am still betting on A. Mark those words.

Reguardless: I was happy to see Charlie doing something he wants to do. It is great because you know he is living life just as he did before. He's fine now! Great news.
Ian
February 16th, 2005 05:51 PM
doo doo doo Dude This story is a bunch of malarkey. About as likely as a Mick Jagger/Mike Love collaboration. Apparantly it was debunked by Brian Wilson's "handlers" a couple of weeks ago.

Charlie's drum kit would have never fit in Brian's sandbox anyway.
February 16th, 2005 05:58 PM
kath
quote:

Maybe I'm wrong kath but B. wilson just seems like an empty shell of a man. It would be akin to pug & joey instead of Joshy & joey, know what I mean?

LOL!!!!
February 16th, 2005 07:38 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Maybe I'm wrong kath but B. wilson just seems like an empty shell of a man.

Couldn't disagree more. This was probably true in the past but not in the last few years. He is recording albums and giving extensive, highly entertaining tours. I personally saw two of these concerts. The first one, the entire album PET SOUNDS was played live and the second, he played the entire album SMILE. Both were great, fantastic shows. He is being backed by an amazing, talented back up band who are able to recreate anything the Beach Boys or the session players did in their prime. So, Brian Wilson is actually more active now than he has been since the 60's.

Also, in my opinion, the album SMILE is more than just an OK album. Thought the album was great and one of the better releases of 2004. True just about all of this material was recorded in some form with the Beach Boys back in 1966-1967 but still thought the freshly recorded SMILE was just as good or better than what the Beach Boys would have done. It's now a finished project. The real question is whether or not Brian has anything left when it comes to new material. His last solo album which was also released in 2004 was very average music. Nothing really special even though I enjoy listening to it occasionally. Maybe he can find the spark to create something as good as SMILE, PET SOUNDS; maybe he can't. What can't be disputed is it's just amazing he's performing live concerts and seems to have put some of the demons that haunted him for so long behind him to some extent.

[Edited by time is on my side]
February 16th, 2005 07:57 PM
glencar The interviews with him that I've seen he looks like someone who has nothing left. It's like he lived the bad parts of the 60's without enjoying much of the fun. The whole piano's-in-the-sandbox thing must have taken its toll.
February 16th, 2005 08:11 PM
time is on my side The concerts I've seen tell a different story. The sand box analogy you've been using is also being taken out of context from a different time and place. The fact that he is giving interviews in the first place should tell you something is different. When was he giving all these interviews in the past???. I don't remember Brian giving many concerts during this sandbox phase you keep mentioning. Also the fact that he finished SMILE seems to indicate some kind of change has taken place. Now whether or not this translates to exciting new music is a different story but I personally found SMILE to be an exciting release.
February 16th, 2005 08:22 PM
glencar The fact that he's giving interviews shows that his handlers are letting him looser than in the past. Listen, he made some great music in the past & he's been through a lot. But the fact is that he's a bit odd & he seems disconnected from reality. I copied that Smile show from Showtime for some people here but I didn't get to watch much of it myself. If it comes on again, I will watch it & we'll see if I'm wrong.
February 16th, 2005 08:35 PM
time is on my side I'm not saying that Brian hasn't had some mental problems in the past or that he's completely cured now. He'll probably be mentally ill to some extent the rest of his life. The odd behavior you mention is merely an extension, symptom of his illness. I find it courageous that he seems to be confronting some of his problems now instead of hiding away, refusing to get out of bed & face the world. He seems to be enjoying life more than he has in the past. I just hope it continues and he finds some peace. As far as new material, he may very well be spent. The difference is now you at least have some hope that he may be able to do something new while in the past you basically had no hope. At the very least, this increased activity has caused him to finish SMILE, release a new studio album, and put on some great entertaining live shows.

[Edited by time is on my side]
February 16th, 2005 08:43 PM
glencar Let's hope so! Gotta go...Take care!
February 16th, 2005 09:12 PM
corgi37 Wilson means nothing to me. Though his recent shows here got good reviews. His music is to "twee" for me.

Like that word? "Twee" - love it.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood