ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Suck on The Jugular distorts more than other Voodoo Tracks....From Ian Return to archive
February 15th, 2005 08:18 PM
IanBillen It always seemed that Suck on The Jugular on Voodoo could not be played quite as loud as the other tracks on Voodoo Lounge without starting distortion.

I found this true on both the cassette and the CD release.

Did anyone eles have the same experience with this particualr track?

If this is infact factual I imagine the only reason would be the signal levels in this particular track were not even with the rest of the tracks on the album or someone in mastering missed it. It has nothing to do with compression. All instrument and volume levels in the song are even in that respect as they should be. In other words no up and down in terms of any instrument or vocal. But they do distort more than the other tracks on that album it seems when you play the song loud. Meaning there was not good signal levels to keep the tracks away from the noise ceiling every track has or something. The other songs do not distort at the level that SOTJ does. Anyone eles have the same findings?

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
February 15th, 2005 10:16 PM
Zack >If this is infact factual

Ian, you are a bloody poet.
February 15th, 2005 10:45 PM
Soldatti I didn't hear nothing wrong on my Voodoo Lounge CD, Cassette and MP3. The song sucks anyway.
February 15th, 2005 10:58 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Zack wrote:
>If this is infact factual

Ian, you are a bloody poet.

and I know it. ;c)

Ian
February 15th, 2005 11:03 PM
IanBillen
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I didn't hear nothing wrong on my Voodoo Lounge CD, Cassette and MP3. The song sucks anyway.

Hi Soldatti,
Don't you like that song? Well incase you haven't yet, you know you gotta crank it on SOTJ as well as say You got Me Rocking or I go Wild and then see incase you haven't done that already. On moderate to slightly loud it does OK. But when I want to crank it a bit mine always distorted on that song. It was on two seperate stereo's / speakers as well. Love is Strong is one of their best numbers I think.

Ian
[Edited by IanBillen]
February 16th, 2005 12:33 AM
T&A no distortion on my wonderful stereo. Jugular is probably my fave track on the album - why this song is so universally despised is a surprise to me.
February 16th, 2005 02:14 AM
IanBillen
I like the song. Then again I like every track on Voodoo Lounge. Maybe it was just my stereo. Only thing is I can remember it being the same way on my older one. I am appreciating the experiences you all have had with this song.

Ian
February 16th, 2005 03:15 AM
Zack
Great groove, some weak lyrics, such as

Let's live lasciviously
Down in the muck
And when tonight's over
You going to watch me blow
And self-destruct

Not to mention "all get together and fuck all night" which contributes to the dirty old man persona.

Bet Charlie liked playing on it though.
February 16th, 2005 06:23 PM
Soldatti I love the album Ian, but I hate this song.
February 16th, 2005 06:37 PM
glencar Don't like VL mush & this song is one of the reasons.
February 16th, 2005 07:01 PM
Gazza I like the album, but this song IMO is one of the three or four worst songs the Stones have ever released.
February 16th, 2005 08:50 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I like the album, but this song IMO is one of the three or four worst songs the Stones have ever released.

Agree (Back To Zero, this one and See What Happens on my Top 3)
February 17th, 2005 02:06 AM
IanBillen
Wonder why the bad reviews on this track. I know it is no classic. But I thought it was album worthy. It's funny. I have this friend who always likes to have a favorite that goes against the norm. He likes Suck on The Jugular as the best Stones song in the past 25 years.

I told him I like the song but that is an over-statement.

Ian
February 17th, 2005 05:40 AM
Gazza I just think there were a lot of more worthy songs from those sessions that were either b-sides or left off entirely (I think "Honest Man" is a fine track)

I've no problem with it being different (my favourite Stones song of the last three decades is probably the most un-Stones sounding song of their career, ie. Continental Drift) and I actually do like that style of music anyway. I simply think it's a tiresome song with poor lyrics. I always skip it.

Soldatti - we seem to have similar ideas of what makes a bad Stones song. Those three would be in my all time worst list as well - along with "Hold Back".
February 17th, 2005 07:21 AM
glencar I'd put "Sparks Will Fly" on any worst list before "Back To Zero."
February 17th, 2005 08:22 AM
T&A to repeat - my fave song on a weak album
February 17th, 2005 09:44 AM
gimmekeef I usually skip this track but I'll crank it and see about distortion...as far as worst tracks...Man its gotta start with "Little Indian Girl"...
February 17th, 2005 09:59 AM
Gazza THE TURGID TEN
(in descending order of awfulness)
1. Hold Back
2. Sing This All Together (See What Happens)
3. Suck On The Jugular
4. Emotional Rescue
5. Anyway You Look At It
6. Back To Zero
7. Indian Girl
8. My Girl (great song, crap version)
9. Sing This All Together
10. Gomper

as you can tell, I've never thought the Stones and all that "peace 'n' love,man" crap went very well together.

there's very few Stones songs that I can't stand, but about half of them are on "Satanic Majesties". It would have made a good EP, in my view.

THE TRANSCEDENT TEN
(official releases only)
1. Gimme Shelter
2. Midnight Rambler (live)
3. Jumpin' Jack Flash
4. Torn & Frayed
5. Moonlight Mile
6. Continental Drift
7. You Can't Catch Me
8. Where The Boys Go
(bash me if you like. I fucking love it!)
9. Memory Motel
10. Slave

(this varies frequently - but the top 6 are pretty constant)
February 17th, 2005 10:02 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Gazza wrote:
THE TURGID THREE
(in descending order of awfulness)
1. Hold Back

4. Emotional Rescue

7. Indian Girl

Ya bastid!
February 17th, 2005 10:21 AM
Gazza LMAO

Do you beg to differ, Snappy?
February 17th, 2005 11:06 AM
Snappy McJack
quote:
Gazza wrote:
LMAO

Do you beg to differ, Snappy?

I like 'em! ...ya bastid!

My Top Titty-Twisting Turgid Ten! (no order):

Suck on the Jugular
Back to Zero
Keys to Your Love
Lies
Gomper
Sing This All Together
Rocks Off - Live Licks version
Under the Boardwalk (Stones version, of course)
Just Want to See His Face
Can You Hear the Music

February 17th, 2005 12:00 PM
Navin "Suck on the jugular" was most probably inspired by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, esp. around that time they were quite popular with that kind of sound, and Mick had also worked with Flea the previous year on his solo album.

I really dug that song, and still do so - there is a lot of attitude in it, in fact, its dripping with attitude....real funky...rock and roll...everything and anything in between...

The backing vocals repeat the chorus as Mick sings (sounding at his best trademark lazy-sexy-menacing half-stoned slur) The high point comes at around the last chorus, as Mick goes "All get together and Fuck You all right!"....the backing vocals go "All get together and ____" ....leaving out the last word - just as Keith (or Ronnie) take off on a guitar lead/solo as if to fill the words and mood with a wicked guitar lick...this is probably the best part - its just too much to explain with words....once again, the Stones boys take something different and add their own magic touch to it.
February 17th, 2005 04:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:

I like 'em! ...ya bastid!

My Top Titty-Twisting Turgid Ten! (no order):

Suck on the Jugular
Back to Zero
Keys to Your Love
Lies
Gomper
Sing This All Together
Rocks Off - Live Licks version
Under the Boardwalk (Stones version, of course)
Just Want to See His Face
Can You Hear the Music

I knew there was another dud cover version I couldnt remember. "Under The Boardwalk" indeed!
February 17th, 2005 08:40 PM
Soldatti Top worst songs:
1. Sing This All Together (See What Happens)
2. Back To Zero
3. Suck On The Jugular
4. On With The Show
5. Indian Girl
6. Gomper
7. If You Really Want To Be Me Friend
8. Too Rude (sorry Keith)
9. Sweethearts Together
10. Might As Well Get Juiced

Hold Back is not here, ok it's horrible but I like the guitar interplay. Maybe is #18-20 on a Top 20 worst list.

The best songs:
1. Gimme Shelter
2. Jumpin' Jack Flash
3. Paint It Black
4. Under My Thumb
5. Tumbling Dice
6. Midnight Rambler
7. Wild Horses
8. Monkey Man
9. Sympathy For The Devil
10. Brown Sugar

My Top 5 is always the same, the rest is imposible with so many good songs.
February 18th, 2005 08:50 AM
Navin The worst?

In no particular order...

01. Ruby Tuesday
02. We Love You
03. You can't always get what you want
04. Miss You
05. As tears go by
06. Good times, Bad times
07. Always suffering
08. Can you hear the music?
09. Sitting on a fence
10. Dandelion

...and, of course, the entire 'Their Satanic Majesties Request' album
February 18th, 2005 02:34 PM
glencar Wow, that's a bad "bad" list!
February 18th, 2005 09:50 PM
Soldatti Navin, I love almost all the songs on your list. You're not a fan of the 60's, isn't it?
February 19th, 2005 12:33 PM
Navin
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Navin, I love almost all the songs on your list. You're not a fan of the 60's, isn't it?

Not quite, just not a fan of the 1967 Stones!
Also, please consider only studio versions on that list (as any of them could sound great when played live)

But then, stuff like "You can't always" is overplayed..its just that I skip them always. The Stones ballads are still an acquired taste.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood