ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elizabeth Jagger Slammed for Wearing Dead Fox on Catwalk (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2
February 15th, 2005 08:43 AM
moy Elizabeth Jagger Slammed for Wearing Dead Fox on Catwalk
February 14 2005

Animal rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) have slammed Elizabeth Jagger for modeling Julien MacDonald's fur-dominated designs during the first day of London Fashion Week, reports ratethemusic.com. MacDonald, who is unrepentant of regular use of fur in his collections, presented mink and chinchilla jackets modeled by the likes of Naomi Campbell and Elizabeth Jagger.

The 20-year-old daughter of the famed rocker appeared on the catwalk flaunting a fox-pelt over her shoulder; a move bound to outrage anti-fur activists.

"By wearing fur she is endorsing hideous cruelty to animals," ratethemusic.com quoted PETA spokesman as saying.

"Elizabeth Jagger and Julien McDonald have to realize there is no need for fur on the catwalk when there are so many synthetic materials which look and feel like fur."

"Foxes are sensitive and intelligent animals and that has been reflected in the fact that fox farming was banned in this country in 2004 and the cruel practice of fox hunting will be outlawed this week."

Sean Gifford of PETA called Julien MacDonald “pathetically unimaginative, encouraging people to dress the way cave people did 10,000 years ago.”

"Fashion is supposed to be fun and sexy, but there is nothing glamorous about the fox who's had the skin ripped off its back just for fashion,” he told icWales.

"It takes a true visionary to recreate the beauty of an animal without using its skin.

"That is what top designers are doing, such as Stella MacCartney. She is designing fake fur without the cruelty."

McDonald’s designs are favored by Jennifer Lopez, whose Sweetface collection recently unveiled during New York Fashion Week also included fur. The designer had also provided tour outfits for Australian pop-singer Kylie Minogue.

McDonald puts high stakes on the booming Russian market, whose freezing climate ensures high popularity of fur

[Edited by moy]
February 15th, 2005 10:26 AM
lotsajizz Hello PETA? We are on top of the food chain. Won't don't you get about that?
February 15th, 2005 12:14 PM
kath hello lotsajizz (sorry if i got that wrong)..

FUR IS DEAD! what don't you get about that?

"dominion" does not mean that "top of the food chain" gets to kill off everything else.

i can't believe models are still being paid to wear corpses, or that any of them actually agree to do it.

disgusting.
[Edited by kath]
February 15th, 2005 12:16 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
kath wrote:
hello lotsajizz (sorry if i got that wrong)..

FUR IS DEAD! what don't you get about that?

"dominion" does not mean that "top of the food chain" gets to kill off everything else.

i can't believe models are still being paid to wear corpses, or that any of them actually agree to do it.

disgusting.
[Edited by kath]

Are you a vegan? If not, the hypocrisy is most apparent. Wear leather? Where does it come from? We eat corpses, may as well wear them too.
February 15th, 2005 12:20 PM
kath no darling, i do NOT wear leather, nor do i eat dead animals. or live ones for that matter.

this is not OUR planet, it's theirs too. i don't have the right to murder something just so it'll make me look rich....

nice try, though.
February 15th, 2005 12:26 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
kath wrote:
no darling, i do NOT wear leather, nor do i eat dead animals. or live ones for that matter.

this is not OUR planet, it's theirs too. i don't have the right to murder something just so it'll make me look rich....

nice try, though.

like your nice attempt at an answer? are you or are you not a vegan? do you eat fish or eggs or dairy products?

right, schmight...I love animals...they're delicious

February 15th, 2005 12:28 PM
kath jeeezuz, who the fuck are you and where did you come from?

vegan yes. are you happy now? of course, if you choose to eat corpse, that's your business.

February 15th, 2005 12:30 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
kath wrote:
jeeezuz, who the fuck are you and where did you come from?

vegan yes. are you happy now? of course, if you choose to eat corpse, that's your business.

and if I choose to wear one, that's my business too...now go save some whales
February 15th, 2005 12:38 PM
kath you need to eat more bran......
February 15th, 2005 12:42 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
kath wrote:
you need to eat more bran......

followed by bacon carved from the sides of dead pigs of course

mmmmm....bacon

February 15th, 2005 12:51 PM
Lavendar Fox farms outlawed in 2004! Hmm what about mink farms?! I know of a couple!
February 15th, 2005 01:27 PM
Riffhard I personaly don't wear fur,but that's only because I don't own any fur. I'm not ready to get into any arguments about it,but I do find it a little disturbing how PETA always tries to push their own agenda down everyone's throat. Fur? Yeah,well that is an instance where PETA maybe right about the cruelty of the farms and whatnot.

However,they have hurt their cause innumeral times by trying to make people feel guilty about eating meat. Or even drinking milk. Honey? That is off limits to the hardcore PETAite. Ridiculous and stupid! That is the only way to describe their zealotry.

If the goal is to have everyone give up meat that begs the question. What would we do with all the cattle? Obviously we can not let these grazeing animals have the run of the land! We will need their pastures to plant more soy for the new demand. Bye bye cows! Chickens? They go extinct within twenty years. They can't fly!

We were born with molars for one reason. To chew meat! Humans are omnivorous. That means we were "made" to eat both meat and vegtable. Why does PETA not understand that their hysteronics are only hurting their very,very,very flawed cause?! By the way how many industies does PETA think would cease to exist without leather,meats,dairy products,..... They care more about the rights of animals than they do the rights of people. Fuck PETA and everything they stand for!

Nothing pisses me off more than to see a bumber sticker that reads "Meat is Murder!" Well,hey buddy! Go fuck yourself! How dare you presume to pass a moral judgment on me! A firend of my wife is a strong advocate of PETA. She is a vegan to the degree of being cult like. She sent us a Christmas card two years ago that was from PETA. It basicaly tried to guilt people into the belief that meat,is indeed,murder. I was so angry that I drizzeled steak sauce and meat drippings all over the card and I sent it back to her explaining that I accidently knocked over a plate of ribeye on it and I'd like a new card! LOL! She did not think it was funny,but I informed her that I have two kids and I refuse to let cults like PETA infect their way of thinking. We made up,and she has never sent us another PETA card since.

PETA trys to hand out fliers at elementry schools telling kids that drinking milk will make you fat. What kind of group feels that it has the right to push that kind of agenda in my kid's face?! If I caught any member of that loony group handing my kid any litrature I would go nuts on them.

Riffhard
February 15th, 2005 01:37 PM
Nellcote Save a tree-eat a beaver.
Used to be a popular saying around my high school when I was young.
Given beavers are great builders, I would think that the meat would be a little tough, maybe some good tenderizer might help that out.

Am I on the right path with that?

As far as foxes, they are a fast moving animal, I would think it would be tough to catch them
Is'nt that where the English trot around on horses with red collared suites and yell "To The Hunt?"

Could someone clear me up on these matters?

Please?
February 15th, 2005 01:52 PM
lotsajizz a rare monent of agreement Riffhard

Peace,
Sean
February 15th, 2005 02:49 PM
Riffhard Well we gotta take it when it presents itself I suppose Sean! LOL!

Your meateating Republican friend,
Riffhard
February 15th, 2005 05:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well, I'm not a vegan myself as I grew up on farm and my Grandfather was a cattle dealer/butcher. And of course IMO Peta types usually overplay their hand. However unneseccary cruelty to animals on various types of factory farms and experimental labs is a fact of life. Being on the top of the food chain doesn't make all that less barbaric than it actually is.
February 15th, 2005 05:53 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Being on the top of the food chain doesn't make all that less barbaric than it actually is.

Indeed. And such unneeded cruelty is frequently a barometer has to how such people will treat other people as well. But to, in turn, advocate that animals have 'rights' is just silly!
February 15th, 2005 05:56 PM
kath
quote:
But to, in turn, advocate that animals have 'rights' is just silly!

[Edited by kath]
February 15th, 2005 06:34 PM
Nellcote This allows me to enjoy my vacation on Long Sands Beach in York Maine much bettah....Although, PETA still has issues on this topic...The last line is an absolute keepah!

Study: Lobsters unlikely to feel pain
By Clarke Canfield, Associated Press Writer | February 15, 2005

PORTLAND, Maine --A new study out of Norway concludes it's unlikely lobsters feel pain, stirring up a long-simmering debate over whether Maine's most valuable seafood suffers when it's being cooked.

Animal activists for years have claimed that lobsters are in agony when being cooked, and that dropping one in a pot of boiling water is tantamount to torture.

The study, funded by the Norwegian government and written by a scientist at the University of Oslo, suggests lobsters and other invertebrates such as crabs, snails and worms probably don't suffer even if lobsters do tend to thrash in boiling water.

"Lobsters and crabs have some capacity of learning, but it is unlikely that they can feel pain," concluded the 39-page report, aimed at determining if creatures without backbones should be subject to animal welfare legislation as Norway revises its animal welfare law.

Lobster biologists in Maine have maintained for years that the lobster's primitive nervous system and underdeveloped brain are similar to that of an insect. While lobsters react to different stimuli, such as boiling water, the reactions are escape mechanisms, not a conscious response or an indication of pain, they say.

"It's a semantic thing: No brain, no pain," said Mike Loughlin, who studied the matter when he was a University of Maine graduate student and is now a biologist at the Maine Atlantic Salmon Commission.

The Norwegian report also reinforces what people in the lobster industry have always contended, said Bob Bayer, executive director of the Lobster Institute, a research and education organization in Orono.

"We've maintained all along that the lobster doesn't have the ability to process pain," Bayer said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an animal rights organization based in Norfolk, Va., has made lobster pain part of its Fish Empathy Project, putting out stickers and pamphlets with slogans such as "Being Boiled Hurts. Let Lobsters Live." Group supporters regularly demonstrate at the Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland.

PETA's Karin Robertson called the Norwegian study biased, saying the government doesn't want to hurt the country's fishing industry.

"This is exactly like the tobacco industry claiming that smoking doesn't cause cancer," she said.

Robertson said many scientists believe lobsters do feel pain. For instance, a zoologist with The Humane Society of the United States made a written declaration that lobsters can feel pain after a chef dismembered and sauteed a live lobster to prepare a Lobster Fra Diavolo dish on NBC's "Today" show in 1994.

It's debatable whether the debate will ever be resolved.

The Norwegian study, even while saying it's unlikely that crustaceans feel pain, also cautioned that more research is needed because there is a scarcity of scientific knowledge on the subject.

And, many consumers will always hesitate at placing lobsters in boiling pots of water.

New Englanders may feel comfortable cooking their lobsters, but people outside the region often feel uneasy about boiling a live creature, said Kristen Millar, executive director of the Maine Lobster Promotion Council.

"Consumers don't generally greet and meet an animal before they eat it," she said.

[Edited by Nellcote]
February 15th, 2005 06:48 PM
kath
quote:

"It's a semantic thing: No brain, no pain,"

actually, THIS is my favorite line.....oh, the names that come to mind......

February 15th, 2005 09:17 PM
kath now THAT'S a food chain......

i would however expand it to other galaxies....we are not alone!!!!
February 15th, 2005 10:14 PM
Zack >We were born with molars for one reason. To chew meat!

And incisors for tearing it from the bone. And eyes in the front of the head for stalking it.

That said, that thing did look gross on Lizzie's shoulder, what with the head and legs and tail still on. Not because it's fur, because it looks literally like a dead animal. Similarly, I hate it when fish is served with the head and tail still on.

Can someone post the pic to show what I mean?
February 15th, 2005 11:30 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Zack wrote:
Can someone post the pic to show what I mean?

Here's a link:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,12246387%5E663,00.html

I'd say: let omnivorous eat what they want; vegans, eat what they want; and plain, not too attractive models etc.
February 16th, 2005 03:36 AM
Jumacfly what a ugly pic of Lizzy....all those models are suckers IMHO..
they did a add for Peta a few years ago and now they wear fur ..even goats got more brain and conscience!!

I love meat but I can t understand those be-atch who love wearing fur...fuckin' stoopid world..
end of transmission...
February 16th, 2005 11:20 AM
gimmekeef So someone kills a fox to wear and keep warm or look good and I'm supposed to give a shit!..Next we'll be feelin sorry for the chickens that the fox rips to shreds cause he's hungry!.......PETA SCHMETA..Ever listen to one of those self righteos a-holes talk....make you wanna rip a FOX'S HEAD OFF..Anyway have a nice day!
February 16th, 2005 11:31 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
.Next we'll be feelin sorry for the chickens that the fox rips to shreds cause he's hungry!.......

well I do feel sorry for the lobsters...they DO feel pain, they'll scream like a banshee when you drop them in the hot water....heart wrenching it is.

February 16th, 2005 11:31 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
So someone kills a fox to wear and keep warm or look good and I'm supposed to give a shit!..Next we'll be feelin sorry for the chickens that the fox rips to shreds cause he's hungry!.......PETA SCHMETA..Ever listen to one of those self righteos a-holes talk....make you wanna rip a FOX'S HEAD OFF..Anyway have a nice day!

thank you for your kind words newbie.it s great to read such nice posts like yours.
but, well,I don t really care.
if one day wearing a**holes skin is trendy, be sure i ll be there with my rifle and you d better run ..

February 16th, 2005 01:49 PM
kath EXCELLENT post!!!!!
February 16th, 2005 02:17 PM
gimmekeef So I'm supposed to be scared JUMCA?..Just keep tokin you'll be fine.......
February 16th, 2005 03:44 PM
glencar Many people who are in PETA seem to be psychotic. I'm all for being kind to animals but nothing keeps us warmer than a nice leather coat & what could be finer than a nice steak with A1 sauce? Animals are here to serve mankind. Whining about it won't change a thing.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood