ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIAN!!!
Jery and Brian - Tour break - Chicago, May 11, 1965
© Jeri Holloway
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [FORO EN ESPAÑOL] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Gimmie Shelter 72/73 (guitar question) Return to archive
February 11th, 2005 06:54 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox During these shows, did Keith play Gimmie Shelter in open G (capo on 4th), or regular bar chords starting at the 10th fret? I have to assume its G and that Taylor, of course, is soloing in standard.
February 14th, 2005 10:09 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 I believe in standard tuning.
February 14th, 2005 11:28 PM
Scottfree barre
February 15th, 2005 12:14 AM
stickyturd Mick is in standard, of course.

Keith is in open G with a capo on the 2nd fret. Gimme Shelter is in C# which is a barre of the 6th fret in open G. The only chords used in the song are C#, B, and A - since A is the 2nd fret, that's where the capo is.

Russ
February 15th, 2005 12:45 AM
beer i thought Keith has played Gimme Shelter live in standard tuning always.

-
February 15th, 2005 12:50 AM
stonedinaustralia hey beer

yeah, i always thought keith was in standard for that one
February 15th, 2005 09:59 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
hey beer

yeah, i always thought keith was in standard for that one

me too..... I can't see any reason for this one being played in Open G.....
February 15th, 2005 10:07 PM
HardKnoxDurtySox Not that this matters at all but I prefer playing it in G- makes it easier to do the opening part smoothly IMO.

Anyway, does anyone know the source of the first three songs on "Brussels Affair?" My knowledge of boots is extremely limited, but it sounds to me like Brown Sugar, Gimmie Shelter, and Happy are from the same show. BS and Happy are obviously in G so unless Keith made a quick switch for GS, wouldn't that mean that he played it in G as well?
February 15th, 2005 10:42 PM
Child of the Moon So I just checked out the footage in Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones. It's difficult to see exactly what Keith's playing (the spotlight never hits him), but from the looks of it, I'd say he's playing in standard tuning. His hand seems to go up to the ninth fret... and he's also playing his Sunburst Les Paul Standard, which he used for most of the standard-tuned songs.
February 16th, 2005 02:44 AM
beer he played Shelter in Standard live. On the '72 tour keef had a guitar tech (Ted Newman Jones, i believe). that had a couple different guitars tuned accordingly to the the set.

but it was a fairly new thing. if you watch the 1971 marquee video, Keith plays a standard tuned Dan Armstrong (the clear guitar) through the entire set. the only mod is the capo on 7th during Mid Rambler.

I think so anyway, i could easily be wrong..

-
February 16th, 2005 09:58 AM
Mathijs GS has always been played in standard tuning. On the 1972 tour Keith played the intro on the 9, 7, and 5 fret (playing E-shaped chords) on a 1959 LP, on the 1973 tour he played it on his 1958 LP Junior, and he played it on the 6, 4 and 2nd fret, playing sus4 fingershapes. On the 1975 tour Keith played it on the Telecaster Custom, with a phase 100. Also, the intro was started on the 6th fret.

Mathijs
February 16th, 2005 05:18 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
GS has always been played in standard tuning. On the 1972 tour Keith played the intro on the 9, 7, and 5 fret (playing E-shaped chords) on a 1959 LP, on the 1973 tour he played it on his 1958 LP Junior, and he played it on the 6, 4 and 2nd fret, playing sus4 fingershapes. On the 1975 tour Keith played it on the Telecaster Custom, with a phase 100. Also, the intro was started on the 6th fret.

Mathijs

Yeah, the same way I use to play. The only difference is that I ain't no Keith God Richards and I don't have a Les Paul/Telecaster.
February 17th, 2005 10:49 PM
SirMuddy Hi Everybody!

Feel good JJf? it's always fun for me to read you...

For Gimme shelter...
I don't know how keith played it but it sound better on my squier telecaster '52 - 5 strings open G - no capo (Cuz I used the open G to hammer on the A chords).

Jah bless - One love
[Edited by SirMuddy]
February 17th, 2005 11:55 PM
Bruno Stone And in the BTB DVD, St. Louis, how Keith play GS? It seems standard to me...

In my guitar i play standard C# - B - A, sounds good.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood