ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick Jagger en Espaņa el fin de semana pasado
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: DO we really need a box? Return to archive
02-12-02 06:48 PM
TT
(I posted the same on IORR)
DO we really need a box with best of/outtake/live compilations?

My opinion: NO.

Best of is just for people who do not LOVE the Stones. Itīs for curious people who LIKE them or who want to complete their CD shelves. We have all the songs.

Outtakes would be overworked/overdubbed or reworked with new voice on old music. That sucks (remember So Young 1994). Most of the outtakes we got have a certain feel and CHARME (depending sometimes on the NOT PERFECT sound). I donīt want Don Was to fuck with Drift Away or Fiji Jim.

Well, and the live stuff? We have it. Dozen of sb recordings. OK, thare are still dozens of other live shows that I want: So it doesnīt matter what they will release: We will be disappointed! Unless itīs a 100 double CD box;-)

What I want is an album with new songs. An artist defines himself by new steps. I donīt quite understand why MJ is planning to do this box (as rumours say). He always said itīs not his ambition to be retro. But a box like that would be 100% retro. That would be a pity to stop a career that way.
02-13-02 10:29 AM
sandrew Let's give them the benefit of the doubt for now. All the speculation aside, we still don't know exactly what they're going to release this year. I'm not thrilled about possibly having to shell out for material I already have, but there's still no definitive record of the Stones' past.
02-13-02 11:26 AM
Maxlugar Why is it always Jagger's fault?

What hard evidence does anyone have that says Mick is deciding this on his own?

First he gets blamed for pushing the group in new directions then he gets blamed for being retro.

Lets just wait on this huh?

I agree with your main point though. As hard as this is to say, I'd rather have another B2B then a box set. This band has always tried at least with a new release before a tour. This box set thing seems like a surrender. But then Ximy had a great theory on this h\whole thing so we'll see.

Gotta smoke 'em.

Maxy!
02-13-02 01:54 PM
TT Hi Max,

donīt you think Mick is the guy who is the driving force behind it? If he says yes, itīs yes. If no, itīs no. No doubt about it.

For heavenīs sake he is open for new things (Punk, Dance etc.). Otherwise every Stones record would sound like Main offender.

But this is the point: a creative person must do something new, not polish up the old stuff.

Letīs hope the box is just a rumour. To record a whole new album and tour in fall is impossible.
02-13-02 03:31 PM
Gazza Dont agree. Mick might be more pushy than most/all of the other guys in the band when it comes to what the next step in the bands career is (and why shouldnt he be ? - someone has to be)but in the end he has only one vote in four. There wouldnt be a tour or an album or a boxed set unless the band as a unit agree on it. I think it was Keith who said a couple of months ago that they were planning to tour in 2002 following a 10 day "cooling off period" where any of the band had their opportunity to say "no" if they wanted to change their minds about committing themselves to a lengthy period of Stones activity in 2002. That didnt happen - hence we have a tour later this year.

Its very easy for a lot of folks to bash Mick if the band are about to take a direction they dont agree with. I somehow doubt its that black & white. Somehow I cant envisage him pushing his ideas on Charlie & Keith THAT easily.

I personally would prefer to see a new album of songs to tie in with the tour and then maybe the retrospective stuff towards the end of the tour (it could include leftovers from a new 2002 album to ensure theres recordings across a 40 year span). However,with the way the economy is at the minute,maybe they feel that a compilation is the way to promote a tour (ie appeal to the casual fan)instead of a new album which wont sell as well...

As for what we're going to get album wise this year,the plot thickens further. From today's "Undercover Digest" comes the following insight from Virgin Records Sweden:

My thanks to Vilhelm Ortendahl for posting the original.

Subject: Just got this from Virgin Records Sweden

Undercover - The Rolling Stones Mailing List
==============================================
Hello everybody, here is some news on what Virgin is planning for the 40:th
Anniversary.
I have translated this from an mail i got from Arnold Richy, the Stones
swedish representative at Virgin Records, so please forgive me for grammatical
errors. I sent them questions about the upcoming celebrations and they kindly
answered me the day after! This really surprised me as you might think they
had better things to do... In the mail i sent them i said that I didīnt
think just putting out the old albums with a few extra songs was an good idea.
And that i would like a really big box with complete concertrecordings not
only the the warhorses. I felt like sending my wishlist to Santa.....haha! But
anyway, here it goes:

"Hi!
Havenīt heard much about any details yet, but autumn will be in focus.

PROBABLY, but not 100% sure, there definitly will be a double "Best Of", that
will be the backbone of the campaign.

The campaign will include the DECCA and the Virgin period ( IF an agreement
can be made with Allen Klein that is-he is sitting on all the old material and
has thru the years not maintained the best relations with the band....).

We are crossing our fingers for an double CD much like The Beatles "1"
anway...

The band is right now, and has for a while, been listening thru material for
an 4CD-box, where one CD could be a DVD and the other 3 audio CD:s.
Nothing 100% certain in this case either, but this is the goal.
IF this is to be based on outtakes or an "extended" version of "Best Of"+1
CD+1 DVD, we dont know yet.
We hope to have more information before summer.

Richy"

02-13-02 05:09 PM
Mother baby Well said Gazza. Could you please condense that into 4 or 5 words? You lost me.
02-13-02 05:11 PM
Mother baby Yes.
02-13-02 05:57 PM
Gazza >Well said Gazza. Could you please condense that into 4 or 5 words? You lost me.

"No one rules the Stones" - there. 5 words.
02-13-02 05:59 PM
robbluedog Some crystal ball gazing from 'the dog', for 2002/2003.

My feeling is a big campaign based around the '40th anniversary' angle is unavoidable.

Expect a repackaging frenzy from both Virgin and Klein; that is reissues of older albums. There will be yet another best of (which could include a couple of new tracks), but with an accompanying retrospective box set which contains the 'best of' and some other older tracks but would also include some CD's of previously unreleased material from live shows and studio outtakes. A truly comprehensive compilation package. This takes care of both their important markets - the casual fan and the hardcore fan. A tour of the States and Europe would support it, but not as extensive a tour as the B2B type of tour. Once again, this would seem unavoidable also.

I would also expect at the end of it all Ronnie Wood may 'feel like a change'. So then it would be down to just 3 Stones plus their supporting players which will carry the show till retirement, which could be in up to 10 years time depending upon the health of the band.

Just a hunch.
02-13-02 06:02 PM

My feeling is a big campaign based around the '40th anniversary' angle is unavoidable.

Expect a repackaging frenzy from both Virgin and Klein; that is reissues of older albums. There will be yet another best of (which could include a couple of new tracks), but with an accompanying retrospective box set which contains the 'best of' and some other older tracks but would also include some CD's of previously unreleased material from live shows and studio outtakes. A truly comprehensive compilation package. This takes care of both their important markets - the casual fan and the hardcore fan. A tour of the States and Europe would support it, but not as extensive a tour as the B2B type of tour. Once again, this would seem unavoidable also.

I would also expect at the end of it all Ronnie Wood may 'feel like a change'. So then it would be down to just 3 Stones plus their supporting players which will carry the show till retirement, which could be in up to 10 years time depending upon the health of the band.

Just a hunch.
02-13-02 06:02 PM

Just a hunch.
02-13-02 06:05 PM
robbluedog How come it keeps posting when all I'm trying to do is get back to the main mesage board?

Sorry about that guys.....
02-13-02 06:43 PM
HandofFeet I'd also take a new studio album any day.

I just hope the live show is not designed for the same audience as a "Beatles 1"-type release.

02-13-02 06:50 PM
Mother baby But artists are "paid" to do something new, aren't they? I certainly don't underestimate the Rolling Stones...
[Edited by Mother baby]
02-13-02 08:41 PM
Joey My girlfriend has a box .
02-13-02 09:32 PM
no_cole_porter erm...
02-14-02 11:49 AM
sandrew Why would Ron Wood ever want to "make a change"? He gets paid very handsomely for a very cushy, non-intensive job. He gets several years off between Stones tours to make his subpar solo records, paint, whatever. He's still the luckiest guy in rock, as far as I'm concerned.
02-14-02 02:23 PM
Gazza Ronnie's probably the last member of the Stones who would leave the band willingly. he knows hes onto a good thing!
02-14-02 08:35 PM
robbluedog Ronnies 'need for a change' may not neccessarily be his idea.
02-16-02 06:43 PM
pvdorst I saw the CD Dirty work in a new version. A double CD with different outtakes and extra songs. Can anyone tell me if it's the first rerelease of all the stones albums on virgin records?
Peter from the Netherlands
02-17-02 03:58 PM
Joey 'I saw the CD Dirty work in a new version. A double CD with different outtakes and extra songs. '

What ????? " Dirty Work " as a Double CD ????? With extra tracks no less ......

Jesus , I used to have nightmares about such things .

Slooooooooowly I reach for the smack .

Oh the horror.....

The horror ......

" Start up my Smack habit again Ronnie "

Joey , C10

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.