ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1968 LFI with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Elvis Versus James Brown: Who's the King? Return to archive
19th February 2007 03:56 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Elvis Versus James Brown: Who's the King?

FEBRUARY 19, 2007 -
MemphisFlyer.com

www.parade.com

Has the Godfather knocked the King off his throne?

The editors of Parade magazine — that weekly publication that comes with your Sunday Commercial Appeal — have made a musical statement in their current issue that should provoke considerable "water cooler" discussion.

The author of the "Personality Parade" section has declared that James Brown had more impact on music than Elvis Presley.

"Elvis went on to become the biggest rock star of the twentieth century," acknowledges Walter Scott, as if being universally acknowledged the King of Rock-and-Roll was a trifling accomplishment. But it was the Godfather of Soul, he believes, who "was instrumental in combining gospel and rhythm & blues — leading to soul, rap, funk, and hip-hop."

Don't agree? You can vote online at Parade.com. All we can say is, when it comes to drawing traffic to your Website, we wish we'd thought of it first. And Elvis fans, not to worry, he's got about 90 percent of the vote, last time we checked. Not surprising, considering the demographics of that fading weekly.

Oh, and while you're visiting Parade.com, you might as well check out the Christina Ricci photo gallery. Hubba hubba. (Click number 3 for a sample.)

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
19th February 2007 04:04 PM
Honky Tonk Man No, I DO NOT agree. Elvis Presley changed EVERYTHING and made such a profound impact on popular music. As John Lennon once remarked, “Before Elvis, there was nothing”
19th February 2007 04:11 PM
downtownsuzie In my opinion, I'd rather listen to James Brown than Elvis for the most part.
19th February 2007 04:11 PM
downtownsuzie
quote:
downtownsuzie wrote:
In my opinion, I'd rather listen to James Brown than Elvis for the most part.

Having said that, I do have more Elvis on my iPod than I have James Brown.
19th February 2007 04:19 PM
fireontheplatter they were both awesome
its all good
19th February 2007 04:45 PM
Honky Tonk Man I have nothing against James Brown at all. He was an amazing performer and an innovator who influenced countless artists. There is no doubting that he played a major role in shaping the future of black music and for that he will always be remembered, but Elvis was something different - something very different.
19th February 2007 04:57 PM
texile
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I have nothing against James Brown at all. He was an amazing performer and an innovator who influenced countless artists. There is no doubting that he played a major role in shaping the future of black music and for that he will always be remembered, but Elvis was something different - something very different.

exactly,
it isn't a question on who is better etc...
elvis was an american cultural icon that transcended music...
sure, others may have come first,
but it was elvis who brought rock and roll into the public consciousness.
19th February 2007 06:11 PM
keefjunkie james brown.
19th February 2007 06:30 PM
Honky Tonk Man This article was written with one thing in mind – to be controversial. Everything he states about James Brown is true, but that doesn’t make him greater than Elvis. He is the true king and a hell of a lot more important to the majority Id say. That’s what matters.
19th February 2007 06:35 PM
pdog Remember when James Brown borrowed/interpreted/stole from the white performers of the time?
19th February 2007 08:24 PM
lotsajizz Elvis and JB were good personal friends and JB was not an infrequent guest at Graceland.
19th February 2007 08:57 PM
Barney Fife I thought everybody knew that the Brown-Eyed Handsome Man, Chuck Berry, was the Rey de Todos.
19th February 2007 09:18 PM
pdog
quote:
Barney Fife wrote:
I thought everybody knew that the Brown-Eyed Handsome Man, Chuck Berry, was the Rey de Todos.

Jame provided the funk and soul, but Chuck is rock and roll...
19th February 2007 09:37 PM
sirmoonie I spray Raid on my feet in the summers.

I've puked over the bar in more airports than I can count.

There is a state of Nirvana there.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)