ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1968 LFI with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith's "You Win Again" Hank Williams tribute Return to archive
19th February 2007 10:33 AM
Mel Belli If the Stones made an album that sounded like this song, critics would flip over themselves to see who was drooling the most. Think of it: an alt-country-ish, no-frills, intimate-sounding production. No mention of "cocks," "tits" or "booty." An understated, "mature"-sounding Stones. I'm not sure I would love this album, but I think it's what the critical establishment wants most from the band.
19th February 2007 11:44 AM
Throwaway The Stones do country pretty well, as a group (You Win Again, Spare Parts from SG sessions) and on their lonesome (Evening Gown, Keith's stuff w/ JLL). Don't think they'd tour behind that kind of album though.
19th February 2007 11:52 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
The Stones do country pretty well, as a group (You Win Again, Spare Parts from SG sessions) and on their lonesome (Evening Gown, Keith's stuff w/ JLL). Don't think they'd tour behind that kind of album though.

It wouldn't have to be a country album, per se. I'm thinking more of an overall atmosphere, mood, and production value akin to the "You Win Again" track. Sort of like what Lanois did for Dylan, perhaps.
19th February 2007 12:03 PM
Throwaway I see. Hal Willner did a pretty good job on Lucinda's new one..if you mean an atmosphere like that one, I think the Stones could be successful. Everyone loves the Stones for their hard-rockin, boogie woogie tunes, but their more laid-back tunes always seem to grow on me, and don't forget the little ditty they've done, "Moonlight Mile."
19th February 2007 12:06 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
I see. Hal Willner did a pretty good job on Lucinda's new one..if you mean an atmosphere like that one, I think the Stones could be successful. Everyone loves the Stones for their hard-rockin, boogie woogie tunes, but their more laid-back tunes always seem to grow on me, and don't forget the little ditty they've done, "Moonlight Mile."

I do like the sound on Lucinda's "West." Problem is, I don't think the songs themselves are all that remarkable!
19th February 2007 01:55 PM
glencar Hasn't Dylan done this for the last 5 albums or so?
19th February 2007 01:59 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
Hasn't Dylan done this for the last 5 albums or so?

He has, and I'm more than a little bored with it. For the Stones, though, it might sound fresh -- like they're not trying to conquer the world anymore. I think their recent work seems ridiculous to some critics -- and some readers of this board! -- because it doesn't have that requisite aura of agedness. The worst thing the Stones can do, in a way, is sound like themselves. ... I'm just thinking out loud here.
19th February 2007 02:02 PM
glencar Some people seem to want them to play together again & make music in the studio. I'm not unhappy with what they've done but any new music is always welcome.
19th February 2007 02:06 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
Some people seem to want them to play together again & make music in the studio. I'm not unhappy with what they've done but any new music is always welcome.

I'm not unhappy either -- not by any means. I've just felt for a long time (well, since Voodoo Lounge) that they're always just a tweak here and a tweak there from producing the kind of album that *everyone* agrees is a knockout.
19th February 2007 02:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Throwaway wrote:
The Stones do country pretty well, as a group (You Win Again, Spare Parts from SG sessions) and on their lonesome (Evening Gown, Keith's stuff w/ JLL). Don't think they'd tour behind that kind of album though.

well they didnt really tour behind ABB either, so it shouldnt be a problem.

They do country-styled songs very well indeed, and its still a type of music that they pull off pretty good when playing them live (Sweet Virginia, Dead Flowers, etc)
19th February 2007 03:55 PM
gimmekeef Far Away Eyes...was extremely well received...but a whole night of that?.....Crowd would be in a warhorse frenzy..lol
19th February 2007 05:53 PM
Throwaway I agree with you and Gazza. So if they WOULD do this kind of album, I think theyd be reluctant to play any more from it than a)the lead single or two and/or a b)non-obscure cover (i e "Your Cheating Heart"). Along those lines however, this type of album is the "fresh" that would do the boys good...back to a rootsy genre, as opposed to the "freshness" of something like Undercover (electronic/80's-ness took away from some of the album).
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)