ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1968 LFI with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Pulp Return to archive
15th February 2007 05:10 PM
Honky Tonk Man I'm listening to them now - the first time in ages. Anyone else here like them? Different Class is a true classic in my opinion and Jarvis Cocker was/is pretty phenomenal.
15th February 2007 05:11 PM
pdog It's also a good Bukowski book...
15th February 2007 05:15 PM
fireontheplatter never ever heard of them. what style of music do they play...where are they from?

get down jimmy
15th February 2007 05:22 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
never ever heard of them. what style of music do they play...where are they from?

get down jimmy

Seriously? I don't think they made it in the States, but were huge here in the UK. See the link. They were a wonderful band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_%28band%29
15th February 2007 05:29 PM
pdog
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Seriously? I don't think they made it in the States, but were huge here in the UK. See the link. They were a wonderful band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulp_%28band%29

They made it here, the one song is used or at least was used in arena and stadium sporting events in The US. They hit the US charts...
15th February 2007 05:29 PM
fireontheplatter cool
i'll check to see if you tube has any of their videos to listen to
15th February 2007 05:36 PM
glencar I like what I've heard.
15th February 2007 06:37 PM
GotToRollMe I liked "Common People" a lot, but that's all I've heard from them.
15th February 2007 10:09 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
I liked "Common People" a lot, but that's all I've heard from them.

I think everyone remembers Common People. It was probably their biggest hit everywhere. I liked that tune when I was 12 and I like it today. Once again, they were an excellent band and worth further investigation. If you like bands with a real sense of Englishness about them (The Kinks for example) then maybe you'll like Pulp.
15th February 2007 11:34 PM
GotToRollMe
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

I think everyone remembers Common People. It was probably their biggest hit everywhere. I liked that tune when I was 12 and I like it today. Once again, they were an excellent band and worth further investigation. If you like bands with a real sense of Englishness about them (The Kinks for example) then maybe you'll like Pulp.

Great song...great dynamics...great video too. Jarvis Cocker is a natural in front of the camera. In fact...

16th February 2007 03:41 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I always prefered pulp and blur over oasis.

They did some brilliant stuff!

My personal favourite is a song from "A different class" called mishapes
16th February 2007 08:03 AM
Honky Tonk Man Yes Misshapes is great. That was also a single I think. Along with Underwear, they are probably my two favourite tracks on the Different Class album. They've recently released His 'n Hers, Different Class and This Is Hardcore as 2CD Deluxe Editions. I might get them as the only Pulp CD I currently have is the hits. I used to have Differnt Class on cassette but thats long gone!
16th February 2007 08:18 AM
Factory Girl I'm not familiar with Pulp.
16th February 2007 08:41 AM
Honky Tonk Man FG know what shes got
16th February 2007 08:44 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Yes Misshapes is great. That was also a single I think. Along with Underwear, they are probably my two favourite tracks on the Different Class album. They've recently released His 'n Hers, Different Class and This Is Hardcore as 2CD Deluxe Editions. I might get them as the only Pulp CD I currently have is the hits. I used to have Differnt Class on cassette but thats long gone!

They are one of these bands that in 20 years time will start to recieve the credit they deserve now!
16th February 2007 09:00 AM
Factory Girl
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
FG know what shes got

LOL. I got mine and I passed it on.
[Edited by Factory Girl]
16th February 2007 06:30 PM
Jumacfly My fav brit bands of the 90's are Cornershop and Supergrass.
the opening of "I should coco" , "I d like to know" is like a hurricane or a major kick in your ass!
17th February 2007 12:09 AM
Lord Homosex Excellent band! Love Jarvis; great lyricist. My favorite song by them is "Last Day of the Miner's Strike" which was a bonus track. If you like Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" you should love it's British counterpart.
19th February 2007 12:50 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:
My fav brit bands of the 90's are Cornershop and Supergrass.
the opening of "I should coco" , "I d like to know" is like a hurricane or a major kick in your ass!

Supergrass were fab back in the day, but Cornershop????
19th February 2007 01:06 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Supergrass were fab back in the day, but Cornershop????

you re right Alex, Cornershop came later!
"handcream for a generation "is from 2002 I guess, marvellous record
19th February 2007 02:23 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

you re right Alex, Cornershop came later!
"handcream for a generation "is from 2002 I guess, marvellous record

No, I didn’t mean in terms of when they came out, more quality. All I remember of theirs is Brimful Of Asha, the most annoying record I’ve ever bought! I wasn’t actually aware they’d released much else.

Supergrass were excellent though and are quite underappreciated. They released an album called Road To Rouen last year. I think Gaz Coombs has a house/recording studio in Normandy. I heard a few tracks, but it all sounded a little too laid back. They’ve obviously mellowed since the days of Caught By The Fuzz.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)