ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1968 LFI with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Brits- Scissors Sisters Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
14th February 2007 08:07 PM
jostorm Did anyone out there watch the Brits tonight???
"I don't feel like dancing" must be my favourite live performance of a rock group on TV EVER ( Ok, so name me ONE Rolling Stones one that beats this one in originality and creativity of costumes...see???....).It really felt like being at the theatre!

And the best thing about it: none of that rap-shite you usually have to endure at music awards ...yippee...all in all great, but I absolutely hated the presenter, it's that pretencious wanker from Big Brother, I think.I absolutely loath celebrities and reality TV, and all those idiots who are famous for their vanity, instead of for some true achievement in life....they are the scourge of modern "entertainment". I think they must spend half their time talking inane irrelevant shite, and the other half probably having Hollywood waxes and driving to Merkins'R Us....
Plus, let's face it: Any man that takes longer than me in front of the bathroom mirror getting ready in the morning I do not wish to see or hear from, thank you very much...

Good night.
14th February 2007 08:21 PM
glencar They aren't very big over here although Ten Thousand Motels starts threads about them, I think.
14th February 2007 08:24 PM
Gazza "The Brits" were quite good this year for a change. That song is quite infectious. A great choice to open the show.

I thought the Killers were superb, and absolutely stole the show. What a terrific band they are.

First time I've seen or heard Amy Winehouse sing. Scary lookin' bird, but I thought she was pretty good. Amazing that such a speaking voice can come out of someone who sings like that, though.

Oasis put together a pretty good set, even though Liam was doing his usual self-parody nonsense. Russell Brand as compere was a good choice. Never liked him much before, but I thought he was pretty funny. ("Merkins R Us" - LMAO)
[Edited by Gazza]
14th February 2007 08:27 PM
glencar I look forward to seeing this on BBC America as I too love the Killers.
14th February 2007 08:29 PM
Gazza They did 'When You Were Young" and won both awards that were up for. Hopefully it'll be on You Tube or somewhere shortly.
14th February 2007 09:26 PM
Paranoid_Android I love The Scissor Sisters...Their show here in DC soldout in 17 minutes...before it was announced to the general public...all thru the soft sales at the 930 Club...they rocked this past summer in Baltimore w/ The Who, RHCP and the Thievery Corporation...

They really have put fun back into Rock n Roll...I hope they are around for a long time!!

The performance at the Brit awards was GREAT!!! Beyond what anyone else has ever done live on a show of any kind!!!
14th February 2007 11:47 PM
pdog if this airs in The USA please let me know....
15th February 2007 04:20 AM
jostorm Well, you lot on the other side of the pond: you really don't know what you are missing! (Search on You Tube, perhaps???)

Gazza: Yes, The Killers were absolutely amazing, and I also must admit to having a soft spot for James Morrison,(it's entirely maternal, honestly, I just want to take him home and cook him a nice roast dinner). Am really glad for him he won a Brit, too...And hasn't podgy, shy Joss Stone blossomed into a cool and extremely shagable chick???
I have to disagree on Russell Pretencious Arsehole being funny, though,...I'm only losely quoting, but " a music group ejaculating something or other into the womb of entertainment" is simply tasteless and "trying too hard to be funny", and you do know I am not at all prudish or coy. Never mind the biological inacuracy! I thought his metaphors on the war and all other jokes were really lame, and all in all I would have preferred anyone else, even lispy old Jonathan Woss would have made me vewy happy and would cewtainly had mowe pwesence...

I've loved Amy Winehouse ever since her first album came out a few years ago, and caught her at one issue of "Never Mind the Buzzcocks", where she actually SPAT on the floor,swore several times on camera and demanded a G&T, and her speaking voice!!!,bloody hell, talking about rough!!! But she's lovely and I like her singing voice, my favourite song of hers being "Love is Blind", the first time I ever really listened to the lyrics I really had to smile and thought "yeah, that's exactly what it used to be like in the polygamous times, trying to defend an infidelity..."

PARANOID ANDROID: which tour did you see them at, when they were touring with "Kiki and Herb" as the opener???

LOVE IS BLIND
I couldn’t resist him
His eyes were like yours
His hair was exactly the shade of brown
He’s just not as tall, but I couldn’t tell
It was dark and I was lying down

You are everything – he means nothing to me
I can’t even remember his name
Why’re you so upset?
Baby, you weren’t there and I was thinking of you when I came

What do you expect?
You left me here alone; I drank so much and needed to touch
Don’t overreact – I pretended he was you
You wouldn’t want me to be lonely

How can I put it so you understand?
I didn’t let him hold my hand
But he looked like you; I guess he looked like you
No he wasn’t you
But you can still trust me, this ain’t infidelity
It’s not cheating; you were on my mind

Yes he looked like you
But I heard love is blind…

15th February 2007 04:32 AM
jostorm and for the Stones-connection freaks : I read somewhere that when Amy's first album came out and she was still pretty unknown and doing a gig in some small London Club, Mick Jagger went and kept talking to his companion during the show. (Probably "No, L'Wren, for the 214th time, I don't mind that you're so tall, honestly..."). Aparently Amy stopped midsong very briefly and stared, and someone else told Mick to shut it. He later went up to her dressing room to meet her and apologised. Or to see the hidden tattoos ? Who knows...
15th February 2007 05:19 AM
Honky Tonk Man The Brits completely passed me by last night. I saw the adverts, kintended to watch it, but ended up missing it! Does anyone know if it'll be repeated? I know it isn't tonight as I've already checked the paspers. I was glad to read The Killers did so well. Thy're a stunningly good band. Russel Brand I can take or leave and Amy Winehouse? I know nothing about her but I'm sick of her already. Her voice is interesting though. Would liked to of seen the Oasis set, but it's always the same old same old!
15th February 2007 05:40 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The Brits completely passed me by last night. I saw the adverts, kintended to watch it, but ended up missing it! Does anyone know if it'll be repeated? I know it isn't tonight as I've already checked the paspers. I was glad to read The Killers did so well. Thy're a stunningly good band. Russel Brand I can take or leave and Amy Winehouse? I know nothing about her but I'm sick of her already. Her voice is interesting though. Would liked to of seen the Oasis set, but it's always the same old same old!

They did about six songs. Three were broadcast "nearly live" with some annoying editing by the producers every time Liam muttered something unintelligible between the verses which they probably assumed was some Mancunian obscenities. Oasis played on after the broadcast was over and three more songs were shown later on the post-show thing on ITV2 half an hour later. From memory, they played Morning Glory, Dont Look Back In Anger and Rock 'n' Roll Star on the post show. On the broadcast they opened with Cigarettes and Alcohol and did a couple of others.
15th February 2007 06:28 AM
EELPIE Arctic Monkeys quite rightly winning the 'best band' and 'best album' categories, and snubbing this ridiculous corporate ceremony with a no-show,
was by far the biggest highlight.
15th February 2007 06:50 AM
Voodoo Scrounge The Arctic monkeys will die a horrible death when their next album arrives. Mark my words.

Oasis were ok. Noel was about as spot on as usuall, but Liam's vocals are getting worse and worse.

Im not a huge fan of the scissor sisters, but i do agree that there is a place for them in the music industry. I missed their opening set, but have been told it was very good.

The Killers are going to go from strength to strength. Im not sure what their following is like in the States. But people who appreciate real musci are really into them over here at the moment. By that I mean people who like real bands and not just pop crap. But people who like the pop seem to like the killers too.
I think they will become the biggest band in the world!

Somebody that nobody has mentioned is Take That. Now I wouldnt normally heap praise upon a "boy band" and Im not going to do that in as many words here. But Gary Barlow has been writting pop ballads now for a very long time and it has to be said, he has been writting them very well for a good few years.
I know that most people who post on here and read this site wouldnt entertain the thought of listening to pop an boy bands. But credit where credit is due. At least the guy can sit at a piano and pen a decent song. Song writters will appreciate what i am saying.

Russel Brand is a pretencious arsehole.

Two of the funniest guys on TV at the moment are Justin Lee Collins and Allan Carr from the friday night project!
15th February 2007 07:03 AM
DoctorStones I couldn't find their performances on youtube yet.
I'll check again later
15th February 2007 07:43 AM
Honky Tonk Man I can see where Voodoo Scrounge means by saying that pop fans appreciate The Killers. In my opinion, they are a pop group of sorts. Every song of theirs seems to of been expertly crafted and recorded. It isn’t just, guitar bass and drums thrashing away with bellowing vocals thrown in.

The complete Oasis set was Cigarettes And Alcohol, Meaning Of Soul, Morning Glory, Don’t Look Back In Anger and finally, Rock ‘n’ Roll Star. That’s a pretty predictable set
15th February 2007 07:47 AM
Gazza
quote:
EELPIE wrote:
Arctic Monkeys quite rightly winning the 'best band' and 'best album' categories, and snubbing this ridiculous corporate ceremony with a no-show,
was by far the biggest highlight.

Their filmed speeches were hilarious. "We cant be there because we're too busy rehearsing for the year ahead" as they stood there dressed up as the cast of the Wizard of Oz and then the Village People. Great stuff.

I enjoyed the music last night on it's own merits, but you're right about it being a corporate load of crap in general. The fact that so many lesser acts have been given 'lifetime achievement' awards yet the greatest band this country (or any country) has ever produced appear to have never existed as far as the BPI is concerned is something which has always irked me and which has rendered this show devoid of any credibility in my book.

Basically, you will only get a Lifetime Achievement award if you turn up to collect it and perform at the ceremony. That in itself totally devalues the award's significance. When they offered Van Morrison the award in 1994, he said he'd accept it but didnt want to perform. He was told that if he didnt the award would simply be given to someone else! Surprisingly, he went ahead and performed - I was amazed he didnt tell them to stick it up their arse.

The Stones have never appeared on the show (I dont know if theyve ever been offered a Lifetime Achievement award, I presume they have) so that in a nutshell explains why theyve never received the honour, yet the likes of The Spice Girls (based on 2 albums!) and the Eurythmics (who existed for 5 years, broke up for a decade and then 'reunited' JUST for the event) have.

I had to laugh out loud when it was announced last night that Muse had sold out 3 nights at Wembley Arena (capacity 11,000) last year in a matter of hours, a figure which made them the most popular live band in the country. Uh - hello???? wasn't there another UK band who sold almost a quarter of a million tickets last summer - and yet who didnt even get nominated for 'best live act' (which speaks volumes for their record label's continued lack of support incidentally)

A load of revisionist cock, basically
[Edited by Gazza]
15th February 2007 07:51 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I enjoyed the music last night on it's own merits, but you're right about it being a corporate load of crap in general. The fact that so many lesser acts have been given 'lifetime achievement' awards yet the greatest band this country (or any country) has ever produced appear to have never existed as far as the BPI is concerned is something which has always bugged and which has rendered this show devoid of any credibility in my book.

Basically, you will only get a Lifetime Achievement award if you turn up to collect it and perform at the ceremony. That in itself totally devalues the award's significance. When they offered Van Morrison the award in 1994, he said he'd accept it but didnt want to perform. He was told that if he didnt the award would simply be given to someone else! Surprisingly, he went ahead and performed - I was amazed he didnt tell them to stick it up their arse.

The Stones have never appeared on the show (I dont know if theyve ever been offered a Lifetime Achievement award, I presume they have) so that in a nutshell explains why theyve never received the honour, yet the likes of The Spice Girls (based on 2 albums!) and the Eurythmics (who existed for 5 years, broke up for a decade and then 'reunited' JUST for the event) have.

A load of cock, basically.

I agree. However, I have enjoyed some of those performances down the years. Notable Duran Duran and Fleetwood Mac
15th February 2007 07:59 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The complete Oasis set was Cigarettes And Alcohol, Meaning Of Soul, Morning Glory, Don’t Look Back In Anger and finally, Rock ‘n’ Roll Star. That’s a pretty predictable set

You think so? Not too many of their biggest singles or best known anthems there. 'Wonderwall' or 'Live Forever' would have been two that I'd have personally put money on hearing. A decent selection - 'Morning Glory' was especially good.
15th February 2007 08:12 AM
Voodoo Scrounge
quote:
Gazza wrote:

You think so? Not too many of their biggest singles or best known anthems there. 'Wonderwall' or 'Live Forever' would have been two that I'd have personally put money on hearing. A decent selection - 'Morning Glory' was especially good.

Maybe they didnt want to be seen as a band who go round doing greatest hits all the time. Which, to be fair to them, thay are not.
15th February 2007 09:10 AM
GotToRollMe Sounds better than the Grammies, at any rate.
15th February 2007 09:23 AM
Gazza
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
I love The Scissor Sisters...Their show here in DC soldout in 17 minutes...before it was announced to the general public...all thru the soft sales at the 930 Club...they rocked this past summer in Baltimore w/ The Who, RHCP and the Thievery Corporation...

They really have put fun back into Rock n Roll...I hope they are around for a long time!!

The performance at the Brit awards was GREAT!!! Beyond what anyone else has ever done live on a show of any kind!!!

How did you see it in the US? It wasn't shown live, was it?

Any band who take their name from a slang term for a lesbian sexual position can't be all bad....
15th February 2007 09:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

I agree. However, I have enjoyed some of those performances down the years. Notable Duran Duran and Fleetwood Mac

Oh me, too. I'm not undermining most of those acts in any way or implying that none of them deserve any recognition. Just that the criteria for 'lifetime achievement' appears to be ;

1) Do you have 3 songs that most viewers will know?
2) Will you perform them on our show?
and
3) er...that's about it, really...
15th February 2007 10:36 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I suppose so Gazza, you’re right actually, but then again, who in the UK isn’t already overly familiar with nearly all the tracks off those first two albums? I’d of though the inclusion of Meaning Of Soul was just to have a Liam penned tune in the set. I am surprised Acquiesce wasn’t included though, especially as it’s the tune Noel often cites as they’re greatest and is the lead track from Stop The Clocks.

15th February 2007 10:39 AM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Good to hear. Can't wait to see it.

Q: Would the Stones have done anything without getting arrested and getting peoples backs up?

Liam: Would they fuck! That's why they were so good!

Noel: (Super-indignant) What? 'Cos they got arrested! Because the Rolling Stones got arrested they were a great rock'n'roll band? Fuck off! Bullshit! Bullshit!

Liam: But they had summat else there...

Noel: They had what? An edge? Is that what you're saying?

Liam: A life, you dickhead.

Noel: Then why don't you go and make a scene, then? Why don't you do a Keith Richards? Throw the TV out of the window!

Liam: I don't want to do that. If I wanted to do it, I'd just go like that and do it and do it. But I don't want to do that. I'm not about that.

Noel: What are you about?

Liam: I'm about being...I'm about going down the fuckin'...I'm about... (takes long slug of G&T) That's what I'm about.

Noel: Music! Music! Music! Music! Music! Music! It's all about music!

Liam: You want to be Keith Richards. Admit it.

--excerpt from Wibbling Rivalry
The Scene: The Forte Crest Hotel, Glasgow.
The Time: Around midnight, April 7, 1994.
15th February 2007 10:51 AM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks for posting polytoxic.

The chorus in Live Forever was apparently inspired by Shine A Light. Noel Gallagher says so in the Brit Pop documentary, Live Forever. Oasis love everything that’s great about rock ‘n’ roll, as it they are not going to like the classic Stones!
15th February 2007 10:57 AM
Gazza I love their sibling arguments. It's one part of them that's always been entertaining. Sometimes it borders on the surreal..

On the first night of the tour, at the Yokohama Arena, Tokyo, Noel and Liam are already in combative form. "If you'd turned up at the rehearsals you'd know the words", snaps Noel after his brother fluffs a line in STAND BY ME. "Perhaps if we'd had the speakers plugged into the nearest pub we'd be all right." Liam, meanwhile, is concerned by other, more basic needs. "Has anyone got any biscuits?" he asks the 2.000-strong crowd.
[Edited by Gazza]
15th February 2007 11:40 AM
Honky Tonk Man One of my favourite Liam interviews is from the Live Forever documentary when the subject of being androgynous crops up. I can’t remember how the exact conversation goes, but it’s something like this…

Q: Some would say you are quite androgynous?

Liam: What’s that mean?

Q: It kind of means you're in touch with your feminine side.

Liam: What’s that mean? Are you calling me a poof?
15th February 2007 12:18 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Thanks for posting polytoxic.

The chorus in Live Forever was apparently inspired by Shine A Light. Noel Gallagher says so in the Brit Pop documentary, Live Forever. Oasis love everything that’s great about rock ‘n’ roll, as it they are not going to like the classic Stones!

Indeed. And of course Lyla borrows freely from Street Fighting Man. I think there are a couple of other Stones "homages" as well in their catalogue. Not to mention a pretty decent cover of Street Fighting Man as one of their b-sides.

15th February 2007 01:38 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Indeed. And of course Lyla borrows freely from Street Fighting Man. I think there are a couple of other Stones "homages" as well in their catalogue. Not to mention a pretty decent cover of Street Fighting Man as one of their b-sides.

There are probably other homage’s. Oasis wear their influences of their sleeves and there is nothing wrong with that. That’s why some don't like them, but whilst perhaps you may hear the odd familiar riff in one of their tunes, NO ONE actually sounds like Oasis and that is beauty of it.

Their rendition of Street Fighting Man has been on my “to hear” list for too long now.
15th February 2007 03:09 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

There are probably other homage’s. Oasis wear their influences of their sleeves and there is nothing wrong with that. That’s why some don't like them, but whilst perhaps you may hear the odd familiar riff in one of their tunes, NO ONE actually sounds like Oasis and that is beauty of it.

Their rendition of Street Fighting Man has been on my “to hear” list for too long now.

If anyone has some advice on how to upload it wthout going through a huge registration process (I'm at work). I'll gladly do it.
Something tells me it being a legit recording that may be a problem.
A quick search of some file sharing sites like Acquisition etc. will probably turn it up.

[Edited by polytoxic]
[Edited by polytoxic]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)