ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1968 LFI with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian,Taylor,Woody...and the slide... Return to archive Page: 1 2
14th February 2007 02:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:

I looooove the video header! What's the story behind it? And who is the really old guy? He looks so familiar.

Chris Farlowe!
14th February 2007 02:18 PM
Philip Brian only plays guitar on No Expectations... All the other guitar parts were played by Keith, even a good few basslines.

14th February 2007 03:07 PM
playguitar
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

On what songs? Jones was the bands harmonica player, not their guitarist. Already on the very first album Jones doesn't play guitar on half the tracks. Starting from 1965, he hardly played guitar on any track anymore. Jones role within the Stones was that of band leader and rock and roll rebel in the beginning, changing to master of esoteric instruments in '65 and '66, to the burned out, casted aside junkie he became after the busts in '67.

Jones is remembered for all he was, but not for his "great" guitar work.

I was under the impression that the Stones had 2 guitar players for the first few albums. If what you're saying is true, than Keith should kick out Ronnie and play everything himself! Because the sound on the first few albums, with the Jimmy Reed,Chuck Berry, Muddy covers is so pure. I am sure Brian's influence was a lot greater than is assumed. JMO.

Mathijs

14th February 2007 03:09 PM
pdog
quote:
playguitar wrote:

less is more?
14th February 2007 03:09 PM
playguitar [quote]Mathijs wrote:

On what songs? Jones was the bands harmonica player, not their guitarist. Already on the very first album Jones doesn't play guitar on half the tracks. Starting from 1965, he hardly played guitar on any track anymore. Jones role within the Stones was that of band leader and rock and roll rebel in the beginning, changing to master of esoteric instruments in '65 and '66, to the burned out, casted aside junkie he became after the busts in '67.

Jones is remembered for all he was, but not for his "great" guitar work.

I was under the impression that the Stones had 2 guitar players for the first few albums. If what you're saying is true, than Keith should kick out Ronnie and play everything himself! Because the sound on the first few albums, with the Jimmy Reed,Chuck Berry, Muddy covers is so pure. I am sure Brian's influence was a lot greater than is assumed. JMO.

]
14th February 2007 03:12 PM
pdog almost there!
14th February 2007 03:14 PM
Philip I see someone esle is having problems with the quote function, whats going on?
14th February 2007 03:15 PM
playguitar
quote:
pdog wrote:

less is more?

Brian was a cool cat. Less is definitely more than nothing ?
14th February 2007 04:17 PM
Mathijs
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

All the slide on Beggars is Brian,just listen to it.
Compare it to Let It Bleed, It is not Keith,he wouldn't of had the balls to play slide with Brian around,only later when Brian was never there.

No, this simply isn't true. Keith had the balls to invite Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal and Dave Mason to the sessions to fill up for Brian, so I do not think it's about "guts" (I mean, he even grabbed the bass and told Wyman to do some percussion for Sympathy...). Brian's only contributions as a real band member are tamboura on SFM and slide on No Expectations. All other contributions (harp on two or three songs and mellotron on the fade out of Stray Cat) were later overdubs.

There's three slide parts on the album: No Expectations by Brian, and Jigsaw Puzzle and Salt of the Earth by Keith. All slide parts are in open E.

If you listen closely to keith's slide parts you already hear the trademark licks he would later use on the open G tracks like Brown Sugar and especially You Got the Silver. All the little bends, trills and fills are already there. Brian never played like this: he usually played slide in open tuning, and would slide from chord to chord, without much single string runs.

By the way, you can not compare the slide on BB with the slide on Lit it Bleed: most slide on LIB are done on a Melobar, wich basically is a lap slide.

Mathijs
15th February 2007 07:56 AM
Philip
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Brian's only contributions as a real band member are tamboura on SFM and slide on No Expectations. All other contributions (harp on two or three songs and mellotron on the fade out of Stray Cat) were later overdubs.

Mathijs

There is also sitar on SFM and the mellotron is played throughout SCB's. :P

If Brian played the harmonica on Dear Doctor it would have been recorded live at the same time as Keith, Charlie etc same goes for Prodigal Son. Parachute Woman? hmmm...

Do you think Keith played bass on Jigsaw Puzzle and Stray Cat Blues? Certainly sounds like it.

15th February 2007 02:04 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

No, this simply isn't true. Keith had the balls to invite Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal and Dave Mason to the sessions to fill up for Brian, so I do not think it's about "guts" (I mean, he even grabbed the bass and told Wyman to do some percussion for Sympathy...).
Mathijs

Keith wouldn't even stay in the same room as Ry Cooder.

quote from Ry Cooder

Cooder didn't like what was going on. "The Rolling Stones brought me to England under totally false pretenses", he told Rolling Stone a year later. "They weren't playing well and were just messing around in the studio. There were a lot of very weird people hanging around the place, but the music wasn't going anywhere. When there'd be a lull in the so-called rehearsals, I'd start to play my guitar. Keith Richard would leave the room immediately and never return.

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
15th February 2007 03:09 PM
Bruno
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

quote from Ry Cooder

When there'd be a lull in the so-called rehearsals, I'd start to play my guitar. Keith Richard would leave the room immediately and never return.

Why is that? Awe?
15th February 2007 05:41 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl BTW, sorry this was the reference header

15th February 2007 05:45 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Chris Farlowe!

There are many Farlowe connections with the stones starting with the 1966 single produced by ALO and with Mick singing back up vocals to many others; later this year Keith Richards, Mick Jagger and Jimmy Page helped Chris in another single, etc etc
15th February 2007 05:48 PM
glencar Farlowe did Out Of Time & had a hit elsewhere with it.
15th February 2007 06:19 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

quote from Ry Cooder

Cooder didn't like what was going on. "The Rolling Stones brought me to England under totally false pretenses", he told Rolling Stone a year later. "They weren't playing well and were just messing around in the studio. There were a lot of very weird people hanging around the place, but the music wasn't going anywhere. When there'd be a lull in the so-called rehearsals, I'd start to play my guitar. Keith Richard would leave the room immediately and never return.

I wonder if Cooder has ever been asked about this period in recent years. That quote seems like it's "definitive" because it's neither been repeated nor rebutted, as far as I know. Something tells me Cooder had some delusions of grandeur in the wake of his work with the Stones -- which was brilliant, no question. I wonder if he still feels the same way.
15th February 2007 06:22 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

By the way, you can not compare the slide on BB with the slide on Lit it Bleed: most slide on LIB are done on a Melobar, wich basically is a lap slide.

Mathijs

Then there's the fact that the LIB and BB sessions were pretty much of a piece -- and Keith did the slide parts for "Let It Bleed," "Monkey Man," etc. Brian was pretty much a nonfactor in '68. As Mick said, "very sad."
15th February 2007 08:54 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
glencar wrote:
Farlowe did Out Of Time & had a hit elsewhere with it.

His released version of Out of Time has Mick Jagger doing backing vocals and Jimmy Page on guitar
15th February 2007 10:04 PM
Honky Tonk Man The Rolling Stones numbers that Chris Farlow covered and released as singles were Out Of Time, Ride On Baby, Yesterdays Papers and lastly, Paint It Black. He also seemingly covered (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction on an EP he released in 1965.

Jimmy Page (up until he joined The Yardbirds of course) probably featured on, or was at least involved in all of Chris Farlows Immediate recordings as he was the in-house producer. He also produced the first recordings Eric Clapton made with John Mayall in 1965 on the same label. I'm Your Witch Doctor and its b-side, Sitting On Top Of The World.
16th February 2007 07:08 AM
Mathijs
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

quote from Ry Cooder

What I don't understand about this quote is that the Stones did not invite Cooder to any sessions. He was brought over from the US by Jack Nitsche and Jimmy Miller (who had already worked with Cooder). Cooder was supposed to do some session work in London. He was introduced to the Stones by Nitsche, and Cooder ended up jamming with the Stones in Keith's house Redlands. There's several pictures from these jams, and all include Keith. According to Anita, Cooder was completely unfit for the Stones at that time: he was a very health consious and serious American, while the Stones were basically wasting time and doing lots of drugs. Apparently it was Jagger's and Jimmy Millers idea to ask Cooder to do session work for Marianne Faithfull and Jagger's upcoming solo track for Performance, and Cooder ended up doing slide on Sister Morphine as well, filling in for the absent Brian.

Mathijs
16th February 2007 07:19 AM
Mathijs
quote:
Philip wrote:

There is also sitar on SFM and the mellotron is played throughout SCB's. :P

If Brian played the harmonica on Dear Doctor it would have been recorded live at the same time as Keith, Charlie etc same goes for Prodigal Son. Parachute Woman? hmmm...

Do you think Keith played bass on Jigsaw Puzzle and Stray Cat Blues? Certainly sounds like it.

Brian plays: sitar and tamboura on SFM, harp on Prodigal Son and the first solo on Parachute Woman, Mellotron on the fade out of SCB (I only hear mellotron on the very last bars, not any earlier), slide on No Expectations.

It is unknown what the winding sound on Jigsaw Puzzle is. Jimmy Miller stated that it was Bill Wyman on the Moog synth, but there was no Moog synth available in London in '68. Some say it is Brian on recorder or mellotron, and lots of reverbs were added during mixing. My guess is Brian on mellotron.

If I remember correctly, all outtakes, including the final take, of Dear Doctor have NO harp, so the harp is added later. The harp could be played by Brian, but Dave Mason is also credited on the song. As there is only one guitar (by Keith), Mason could have played the harmonica. I personally think it is Brian on the harp.

Mathijs
16th February 2007 08:10 AM
Philip Hello, it's His Majesty/Beck-ola :P

The Dear Doctor outtake(s), take 1 for example, have harmonica on them.

As for the mellotron on SCB's you can hear Brian playing jarring chords much like his part on We Love You after the first chorus.

The reason I believe the Jigsaw Puzzle whining sound isn't a mellotron or a moog is because you can hear slight whistling sounds occasionaly as if the woodwind instrument used is being played shakily.

I'd be very interested to know what the session sheets have for this track!

[Edited by Philip]
[Edited by Philip]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)