ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

© 1968 LFI with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brian,Taylor,Woody...and the slide... Return to archive Page: 1 2
10th February 2007 03:02 PM
real wild child It´s hard to say who´s the best slide guitar player of the Stones...what´s your favorite???...Ron is the best...Some Girls and Voodoo Lounge are nothing without him...

And what´s your favorite slide Stones song???...mine...No Expectations...
10th February 2007 04:13 PM
mrhipfl All down the line is my favorite.
10th February 2007 05:24 PM
Bruno Although I consider Ronnie the best with the slide, I absolutely love the way Taylor uses it in Soul Survivour.

Best from Brian: Jigsaw Puzzle
Best from Ronnie: solo in It Must Be Hell

[Edited by Bruno]
[Edited by Bruno]
10th February 2007 10:13 PM
guitarman53 The best slide player in the Stones? certainly Brian Jones, he was the first, & also attracted Jagger & Richard to form a band.
Another great slide player was Ry Cooder, he clamined that Keith ripped every thing of him, even "Honky Tonk Women, that was when he got into open tuning, & it came from Ry Cooder
11th February 2007 01:13 AM
Zack No brainer: Taylor
11th February 2007 08:31 AM
Mathijs
quote:
Bruno wrote:
Best from Brian: Jigsaw Puzzle

That's keith on slide, not Brian.

Mathijs
11th February 2007 12:09 PM
Bruno
Really? My bad.

So my favourite from Brian is No Expectations.
11th February 2007 12:55 PM
lotsajizz Brian--that cat could play when he was focused
11th February 2007 01:31 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Mathijs

It's Brian.
11th February 2007 02:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

• Brian was the first ugly white folk who played slide like a bastard and at the same level than the best black blues men.
  • Mick Taylor was the best technically, he even was able to play slide and fingers at the same time (Sway).
  • Ronnie is pretty good (just watch today's video-header.
11th February 2007 08:06 PM
Bruno
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

It's Brian.

So I stay with Jigsaw Puzzle as his best slide.
11th February 2007 08:09 PM
Olivia1962 Brian..Jigsaw puzzle

11th February 2007 08:39 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

• Ronnie is pretty good (just watch today's video-header.

I looooove the video header! What's the story behind it? And who is the really old guy? He looks so familiar.
11th February 2007 08:45 PM
Mel Belli Voodoo is certainly right that Taylor was technically the best. There's really no disputing it, even if, as I do, you dig Ronnie's chunky, rhythmic style. Woody's had some great moments on slide over the years - but probably none can top the one he had with the Faces and "Stay With Me."
11th February 2007 11:37 PM
GhostofBrianJones Is is hard to play slide guitar? Or does each person who plays it has their
own style? I always thought Brian was an outstanding slide guitar player,
and I imagine Mick Taylor would be good too. I would like to hear Ronnie
as well.
12th February 2007 12:22 AM
Zack Brian's peak as a slide guitarist was certainly I Wanna Be Your Man, where his playing literally made the song. The same might also be said for Little Red Rooster. Also I Just Can't Be Satisfied is very strong, as is Please Go Home, which to paraphrase moonie, blows doors.
12th February 2007 08:43 AM
Mathijs
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

It's Brian.

Er..no, really, the slide on Jigsaw is NOT Brian Jones, but full blown Keith Richards. In fact, Brian does not play electric guitar on BB.

Mathijs
12th February 2007 08:51 AM
GotToRollMe Woody was sounding great this tour. The Atlantic City version of "All Down The Line" is incredible:
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A9D452CC0F55636B

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
12th February 2007 10:09 AM
dkmonroe Brian on Little Red Rooster, and on No Expections.

Both are beautiful performances. LRR is authentic folk blues slide playing that wouldn't be out of place on a Muddy Waters album. on NE, Brian makes the slide his own with a very unique voice.

Honorable mention goes to I'm Moving On, where Brian's slide drives the song like a stick shift.

I don't think either Mick Taylor nor Ronnie can touch Brian on the slide. Both are probably technically better, but neither stand out as much.

Keith's slide performance on the entire Let It Bleed album (excepting Ry Cooder's fine performances) are the best of both worlds. Slight technical edge on Brian, very unique slide voice.
12th February 2007 01:21 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Er..no, really, the slide on Jigsaw is NOT Brian Jones, but full blown Keith Richards. In fact, Brian does not play electric guitar on BB.

Mathijs

Oh yes it is.
12th February 2007 04:46 PM
Mathijs
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

Oh yes it is.

But it doesn't sound remotely like Brian. The sound is not his sound, the licks aren't his licks -it just totally is Keith.

Again, Brian does not play electric guitar on Beggars.

Check out this discussion:

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,624403,page=1

Mathijs
12th February 2007 07:07 PM
tumbling dice
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Mathijs

Correct!
12th February 2007 07:14 PM
tumbling dice
Best slide - Monkey Man by Keith
Brian was unique,he was the pioneer in England!
Mick Taylor was the stones best musician but he wasn´t that great on slide.He was better in solos like Sway and Winter.
Ronnie Wood is one of my great idols!He is the best partner of Keith and he´s loyal!!
13th February 2007 11:44 AM
Mathijs
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:
Mick Taylor was the stones best musician but he wasn´t that great on slide.

Er, do you mean this? Taylor is considered one of the top three slide guitarists of the 70's...He's a true master of the technique, he truly is one of the best ever. Jones nor Wood even come close. And even to this day, now Taylor is a bit slipping technically wise, he still is one of the most encredible slide players.

Mathijs
13th February 2007 11:56 PM
Zack
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

Er, do you mean this? Taylor is considered one of the top three slide guitarists of the 70's...He's a true master of the technique, he truly is one of the best ever. Jones nor Wood even come close. And even to this day, now Taylor is a bit slipping technically wise, he still is one of the most encredible slide players.

Mathijs

100% correct as usual, Mathijs.

Any doubters should immediately watch closely LIV from Ladies and Gentlemen.
14th February 2007 09:34 AM
Brian Jones Girl it's good to see alot of people agreed on Brian being the best at slide
14th February 2007 09:57 AM
Mathijs and, I personally don't see how brian can be considered to be a very good guitarist at all. He's was mediocre at best, most of the times not playing anything more than just the basic rythm. On slide he didn't go any further than sliding full chords in open tuning, and his one and only solo on a Stones track (the lead on I Wanna be Your Man) is just a copy of the vocal melody.

Mathijs
14th February 2007 10:21 AM
playguitar
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
and, I personally don't see how brian can be considered to be a very good guitarist at all. He's was mediocre at best, most of the times not playing anything more than just the basic rythm. On slide he didn't go any further than sliding full chords in open tuning, and his one and only solo on a Stones track (the lead on I Wanna be Your Man) is just a copy of the vocal melody.

Mathijs

I beg to differ. In my opinion Brian was the best partner Keith ever had. Their sound together was pure Rolling Stones. MT and Ronnie are incredible too, but brian brought out the funkiest,bluesiest,rockingest playing out of Keith.
14th February 2007 11:36 AM
Mathijs
quote:
playguitar wrote:

I beg to differ. In my opinion Brian was the best partner Keith ever had. Their sound together was pure Rolling Stones. MT and Ronnie are incredible too, but brian brought out the funkiest,bluesiest,rockingest playing out of Keith.

On what songs? Jones was the bands harmonica player, not their guitarist. Already on the very first album Jones doesn't play guitar on half the tracks. Starting from 1965, he hardly played guitar on any track anymore. Jones role within the Stones was that of band leader and rock and roll rebel in the beginning, changing to master of esoteric instruments in '65 and '66, to the burned out, casted aside junkie he became after the busts in '67.

Jones is remembered for all he was, but not for his "great" guitar work.

Mathijs
14th February 2007 01:58 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Mathijs wrote:

But it doesn't sound remotely like Brian. The sound is not his sound, the licks aren't his licks -it just totally is Keith.

Again, Brian does not play electric guitar on Beggars.

Check out this discussion:

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,624403,page=1

Mathijs

All the slide on Beggars is Brian,just listen to it.
Compare it to Let It Bleed, It is not Keith,he wouldn't of had the balls to play slide with Brian around,only later when Brian was never there.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)