ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What have the Stones taught you about songwriting? Return to archive
02-22-03 10:58 AM
morocco I'm sure I'm not the only one who has looked at the songwriting style of the Stones. What I have learned from them is that it's the vibe and rhythm of the song that matter most.

A good song does not have to be outrageously complicated with a billion key changes and 12,000 altered, extended chords.

Keep it simple, and say what you want to say.
02-22-03 11:22 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
morocco wrote:
Keep it simple, and say what you want to say.

Yeh, that's what I think. Simple can be more powerful and emotional than complicated art. Look at the old blues and jazz. The way I see it is that the blues is simple and repetitive in technics, but it speaks more to my heart than the crafted and difficult art of jazz (in general). At least that's how things are for me, I'm a blues lover.

About the Stones'/Mick's lyrics writing: I love their humour and irony in choice of words, well especially in the older songs. It gives some great quotes as we see in the signatures on this board! Stones' lyrics often make me laugh, as Dylan's make me think...

"Make every song you sing your favorite tune..."
02-22-03 12:55 PM
morocco I agree, angiegirl, the Stones inspire more bluesy, direct music.

The Stones write about horses, hospital beds, and honky tonks, the stuff of country blues rock and roll. This is best done with the simple tools of music, sounds that might be enoyed by the simple the salt of the earth.
[Edited by morocco]
02-22-03 12:59 PM
Fiji Joe All about the delivery and timing...Of course, there are the intangibles of the performers themselves...you can't teach soul...you got it or you don't...Fiji got soul

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST