ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "I Could Have Stood You Up" Return to archive
02-21-03 11:42 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Isn't this the best song on Keith's ol' standby Talk Is Cheap?

I was mulling over why the worst song on the album was also its biggest hit - "Take It So Hard" - and I decided it was probably the most '80s' sounding of all of 'em. Which says a lot about the 80s.

But why wasn't this one, "I Could Have Stood You Up", released as the single?

Well, I guess my real question is... what are the lyrics? Is that really Keith just blasting out "Sucks my dick!" in a song that Elvis would have felt at home in?

-tSYX --- One thing, one thing to, one thing to remember is I could have... oh I could have! I could have, could have stood you up but I did-did-did'nt, yeah, yeah!
02-21-03 11:49 PM
Fiji Joe Savage..I'm more partial to Whip it Up...Rocks...

Whiiiiiiiiiiiipppp...whip it Up
02-22-03 12:38 AM
56DeSoto I love the whole album.

But I think he's actually saying, "Shucks my dear."

56DeSoto
02-22-03 06:30 AM
egon i think stood you up, is one of the weakest songs on the album.

but take it so hard.... excellent!!!

LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
02-22-03 11:07 AM
Mathijs Keith is definitely saying "suck my dick, gonna get a lcik from you" on Could Have Stood You Up. But, in puritain America this isn't allowed, so the lyrics read officially "shuck my dear".

Mathijs
02-22-03 01:02 PM
TT Talk is Keith�s musical bequest as a solo artist. Main Offender is pure crap instead.
02-22-03 01:14 PM
Fiji Joe Mathjis wrote:

"Keith is definitely saying "suck my dick, gonna get a lcik from you" on Could Have Stood You Up."

Do you have this in print from an offical source? Or is this just your opinion?

02-22-03 11:05 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
TT wrote:
Talk is Keith�s musical bequest as a solo artist. Main Offender is pure crap instead.

I actually like Main Offender, quite a bit. It's got some great numbers on it, like "999", "Wicked As It Seems", "Hate It When You Leave" and "Words Of Wonder" - but it's not as consistently good as Talk Is Cheap.

-tSYX --- We've run out of dreams...
02-23-03 12:13 AM
Soul Survivor I dont think "Main Offender" has the "edge" that "Talk Is Cheap" had because by that point the stones had reunited and I dont think he felt the need to make a truly, great solo album.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Gabba Gabba Hey
02-23-03 01:03 AM
sammy davis jr. Talk Is Cheap is a great record. Main Offender sounds like songs that were Talk Is Cheap rejects. Not up to par for a guy like Keith. Rather slapdash if you ask me. Take It So Hard was probably picked as the single b/c it sounds like a Stones song. I could easily hear Mick singing that one.
02-23-03 08:10 AM
Mathijs Fiji Joe: if you LISTEN to the song, you hear what he sais. It's quite easy to hear -it's not like he's trying to cover it up. Official lyrics read "shucks my dear", as official lyrics to Starfucker read "starbucker" and "give way to Steve McQueen".

Mathijs
02-24-03 10:29 AM
T&A Love that tune - but, then again, I'm a sucker for a good rockabilly tune. Nice little MT solo on that one, too...

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST