ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: R&B Foundation to Honor George Clinton (NSC) Return to archive
02-21-03 01:53 AM
Martha
Full Story 02/20/2003��22:35:03�EST
Frank Franklin II/AP Photo
R&B Foundation to Honor George Clinton
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY
AP Music Writer

When George Clinton started his band decades ago, he hadn't yet come up with the wild costumes or tripped-out funk grooves that define it today.

"It started out as a doo-wop group," Clinton said of the Parliaments, which would eventually become the bands Parliament and Funkadelic, among other off-shoots of his "P-Funk" family.

"Once we decided to change from that, we went as far as we could ... from diapers to any kind of costume that anyone might have on."

Clinton's funky contribution to music, and to R&B in particular, was noted Thursday night when the Rhythm & Blues Foundation honored him as one of its pioneers.

Other honorees are saxophonist Maceo Parker, best known as James Brown's sideman; blues singer Koko Taylor; New Orleans-based musician Clarence "Frogman" Henry; Johnny Nash, who had the hit "I Can See Clearly Now"; doo-wop group The Del Vikings; the '60s girl group The Dixie Cups; and Motown legends The Supremes.

The late R&B crooner Jackie Wilson received the foundation's legacy tribute; Dionne Warwick its lifetime achievement award.

Among those paying tribute were Bonnie Raitt, Al Jarreau and Ashford & Simpson.

"Thanks so much for coming out for these legendary artists, who we know haven't gotten their due in a long time, sometimes never," Raitt said.

Mary Wilson was the only Supreme who showed up for the group's induction, but she was accompanied by daughters of Diana Ross and the late Florence Ballard.

Ross' daughter, Rhonda Ross, told the audience her mother was recovering well from substance abuse problems after her December arrest on drunken driving charges in Arizona.

"We are all just one bad decision away from disaster," Rhonda Ross said.

Aretha Franklin was on hand to give Warwick her award.

"It's wonderful to be recognized, and for them to finally understand that after 47 years," Warwick said.

Warwick, whose hits include "Don't Make Me Over," "I Say A Little Prayer," and "Do You Know The Way to San Jose," has generally been considered more of a pop singer than an R&B singer. But she says her music is "whatever the listening ear decides."

"I don't categorize music, because music is what it is," she said.

Clinton describes Parliament/Funkadelic's sound as "definitely R&B based."

"But it's also the DNA for hip-hop, for alternative, for techno and everything else."

Blues veteran Taylor sees her award as for her genre as well.

"I've been out here all through the years, and I'm working hard to do everything in my power to keep the blues alive, to keep everything alive," she said.

Yet she also acknowledged the award was an important personal achievement for her.

"It means everything to me," she said. "I'd rather chop off my right arm than not have gotten this award."

Besides the recognition, the awards come with a cash award. While the foundation would not reveal the amount, in the past they have ranged from $15,000 to $25,000.

The Rhythm & Blues Foundation was founded to preserve the genre's legacy, but also to provide assistance to soul musicians who have fallen on hard times. They provide them financial, medical and other assistance.

___

On the Net:

http://www.rhythm-n-blues.org
02-21-03 12:37 PM
Hooked George Clinton and the P-Funk are a GREAT live band. Everything from funk to some R&B to even a little heavy rock and nasty guitar work. And the crowds are super rowdy, and a big melting pot--white, black and everything in between. Go see them if you haven't done so.
02-21-03 02:26 PM
Martha Thanks for the endorsement Hooked I haven't seen them yet, and plan to next time around.

Keep on rockin'!
02-22-03 12:53 AM
Hooked They're great, Martha, and they will wear you out--4 hour shows sometimes, no exaggeration!

It's like a circus---P-Funk actually encompasses about 20 or 25 musicians (the members seem to change a lot) and they rotate in and out as the show goes on. makes the Stones changes with their backup players look tame.

Make room on the stage Ronnie!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST