ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ten Years Ago "The Best": Wandering Spirit Return to archive
02-20-03 12:48 PM
Soldatti I was looking the Billboard charts and in the part of Rewind, this week is listing the best album from the last 20 years for the band or any band member. Also was the HOT SHOT DEBUT of that week (at No. 11 and selling 59.710 copies) and was up of McCartney's "Off The Ground"!!!

Was disapointing look the stupid "Goddess In The Doorway" fell fast of the chart (only 8 weeks on the Billboard 200).
"Goddess..." not was certified GOLD since their release while "Wandering Spirit" was certified gold on month later.
After of the incredible "Wandering Spirit", Mick came with that piece of trash what I don't heard in months!!

http://billboard.com/billboard/charts/ago/charts_display.jsp?vnu_date_string=SPECIFIC&vnu_year=1993&vnu_month=2&vnu_day=27&vnu_search_type=ALBUMS&REWIND_YEAR=10
02-20-03 03:59 PM
Scottfree I like bolf....
02-20-03 04:14 PM
McQueen I agree. Both albums have their high and low points, but taken as a whole, equally respectable. Charts so often mean little concerning the quality of an album. Mick and Keith have both made respectable solo attempts over the years. None great mind you, but quality albums that for the most part, hold up well over time. This cannot be said of a good number of albums you will find in the upper tier of the Billboard 200.

As to Goddess specifically, God Gave Me Everything has grown on me a great deal this past year. While it suffers from a bit of overproduction, it rocks quite nicely. Great danceable groove. In fact, I believe the Stones collectively could turn it into a very satisfyingly nasty live number. Alas, Keith's ego would likely never allow that to happen. That's too bad, as it would make a very nice addition to their live set.
02-20-03 06:22 PM
macawber his ego?how about his not wanting to play crap. i'd like to see mick suggest that one to him "keith can you play this lenny kravitz lick?"-ok,keith put the gun down,we can play something else"
02-20-03 06:22 PM
corgi37 I gotta disagree. I adored she's the boss and primitive cool, but wandering spirit sucked. Its just all over the place, trying to sound relevant to 1993, so now, and these days it sounds very outdated. I dont mind Sweet thing, as at least its a little bit different, but i could use that cd as a coaster and not miss it at all. Oh, out of focus is ok too. At the same time, i think Keith's 2nd effort was pretty boring. Wicked as it seems was A-1 (and isnt it funny how love is strong is virtually the same bloody song?), but the rest doesnt have the strength of talk is cheap. 999 is alright. As for Goddess, its God-awful. No wonder it sold poorly. The bastard should just take the hint that no one wants to buy his solo crap. Thats one Stones album we missed out on. And i too reckon the GOd gave me everything would have made a great stones song. These guys just need to realise that they need each other, along with Charlie and Ronnie, to get that special magic. Keith alone is like beer without topless barmaids - just not complete. And jagger alone is like a stripper who leaves her clothes on - frustrating and boring. Wow, i just stunned myself with that anology. I like it.
02-20-03 06:41 PM
Mr. D Good call, corgi. The Stones need each other to make things click. I usually like a couple songs off each solo release, but after awhile i get tired of them. This is unlike the last few Stones releases, where the songs I like are able to stand the test of time and find their way into my CD player. I'm actually listening to Voodoo Lounge right now!
02-20-03 11:11 PM
McQueen I can go along with that call. I too love 'em best when they are doing the musical deed together. You are also quite correct in saying God Gave Me Everything could have been a great Stones song - nastier, dirtier, bluesier, etc. (Yes, the Keith treatment would have been far superior than the Lenny treatment. It still rocks though. Deserved much more air play than it got.)

I love most of Wandering Spirit and several tracks from Goddess though. Far better than his earlier solo stuff in my opinion. Keith's Wicked as it Seems is...Wicked.(Hell, I loved the video he did for it too.) Great little riff. Also would make an even better Stones tune. It would be great if he brought it out during a Stones show for one of his solo efforts. As to your "Sweet Thing" reference. Sorry, that song is simply awful. Good lord it is so bad! Too-Fucking-Gay. Mick clearly lost his way on that one. It was ten years ago though, and he has recovered quite nicely since then. All is forgiven.

P.S. Didn't the lads look fantastic in Australia? Those pics were amazing!
02-21-03 06:42 AM
woodywoodpecker I think Mick is great as a solo act,
Each album has some great moments and although the stones would make em better as the stones, credit where credits due Mick can cut it on his own no prob's he is a brilliant song writer with or without the stones.

Same must be said for Keiths solo efforts and woody's IMO.
02-21-03 10:29 AM
corgi37 I tell ya, the guys look like they are having a ball down here. They all look fit as the proverbial fiddles. Keith is brown as a berry. But, by christ, he's scrawny. They obviously planned this part of the tour as a working holiday, and i love to witness it. They seem so casual and relaxed, and when its show-time - BOOM! Maybe they are paying us back for treating us like shit all these years? I was initially stunned by the total lack of publicity when they arrived. They have played 2 shows and have been here nearly 2 weeks. But, since the press conference on Monday, its been...thunderbirds are go! All over the tv, radio and papers. I gotta say that having angus and malcolm on stage at the enmore, plus news that mary anne faithfull was in the crowd, really lifted things up. I find myself not just loving them as my heroes, but as a bunch of guys i wanna have buy me a beer. Mind you,i'd accept a beer from any one. But, this tour of my lovely country, has a real good vibe about it. I just hope the 27th is the "lets pull out all the stops" show.
02-21-03 01:45 PM
icydanger

Wandering spirits
there's no place i can call my home
02-21-03 01:47 PM
icydanger

what do you think about the lyrics in
she's the boss?
02-21-03 02:04 PM
padre Stay home my child, stay home with me
Stay home my child, stay home with me
Oh please!

When I first met you, you looked so soft
So feminine, you looked so lost
What a fool I was

You called me manly, so masterful
You called me manly, so powerful
Was I ever gullible

She's the boss! She's the boss!
So I stay home, I stay home, stay home, stay home
It's all over, the party's over!
It's all over, I'll just shut my mouth

Now don't be cruel! Say you don't mean it
Now don't be cruel! Say you don't mean it
You the boss! Are you the boss?
She's the boss!
She's the boss in the office, she's the boss in the kitchen,
She's the boss in bed, she's the boss in my head
She's the boss! Okay!
You're the boss! Okay!
You're the boss! Okay! Okay! Okay!
I do what you say! Okay!

Now she's the guvernor, she's number one
From where I'm standing, I'm just a bum

Stay home, I stay home, stay home, stay home
The party's over!

Okay, I'll do what you say baby, it's okay
You want breakfast in bed? You got breakfast in bed
You want me to hold all calls? I'll hold all calls
You want me to fix your hair? I'll fix your hair
You want me to fix you dinner? I'll fix you dinner
You want me to stay up late? I'll stay up late
No problem, no problem

She's the boss! She's the boss!

I'll keep my big mouth shut
Yes, she's the boss, she's the boss!
She's got the pants on, now she's the boss!
I stay home. What'd I say?
You want to what? Not right now baby
I've got a headache
You want it right now baby?
Well, I've got to wash my hair Okay, okay! I'll do what you say, okay, okay, okay!
You're the boss, you're the boss
You've got the pants on, now you're the boss!
You've got the pants on, now you're the boss!
Okay, okay, okay! You're the boss
Watch out! Watch out! Watch your step
Now watch your step boy, she's the boss!
Watch your step boy, she's the boss!

Nuff said?
02-21-03 02:49 PM
glencar Mick's solo albums add up to two very good solo albums. Still, anything from these guys is nice to hear. I agree with the disdain for Keef's second solo. The first one was awesome (as was "Palladium") but except for "Wicked" I don't like it. I don't even hate it; it's just there.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST