ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Calling all Guitar Players . . . Return to archive
02-18-03 09:19 PM
keefa Im looking to buy a new electric guitar mainly for blues/rocknroll. I dont know much about guitars so any suggestions ie. brands, models, etc.. ?

Keefa
02-18-03 09:34 PM
telecaster
quote:
keefa wrote:
Im looking to buy a new electric guitar mainly for blues/rocknroll. I dont know much about guitars so any suggestions ie. brands, models, etc.. ?

Keefa

If you are looking for a great starter try the Epiphones
which are built by Gibson. They have versions of the
Les Paul that are amazing and you can get them
new at a great price.
02-18-03 10:04 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
telecaster wrote:

If you are looking for a great starter try the Epiphones
which are built by Gibson. They have versions of the
Les Paul that are amazing and you can get them
new at a great price.

Too right!.....A beautiful looking, and sounding guitar at a very reasonable price. Both electric & acoustic are very nice guitars.
02-18-03 10:11 PM
Scottfree A man named Telecaster is suggesting Gibsons, how ironic... I say a Tele all the way, I have a natural grain USA made Tele pure piece of art, but it's rarely played, I suck at the electric...
02-19-03 12:21 AM
sammy davis jr. Get a Tele....preferably an early fifties. Or a mint late '50's Gibson Les Paul Jr., You can pick one up for about 2500.00. I love mine. You won't be sorry.
02-19-03 11:51 AM
no_cole_porter Well it all depends on the money you're willing to plonk down. If money is no issue I'd go through Gibson's Custom Shop and buy a 1959 Les Paul Reissue. They are you're best bet unless you want more of a current Keith sound then you can't beat a 52' Telecaster Reissue either. If you buy a 59' Les Paul Reissue expect to pay around 5 to 6,000 dollars. You can buy a 52' Reissue for about 1,200 new or about 800 on something like eBay.

But the best bang for your buck would be a 2002-2003 Les Paul Standard. Which run around 2000 dollars new.
02-19-03 01:39 PM
padre Tele it is. No doubt about that.
02-19-03 02:12 PM
Mikey Telecaster is the call. I have a 92' American Standard with a sunburst finish (exact same guitar as Keith's in the Start Me Up video) which I got for $500.

Mikey
02-19-03 03:06 PM
jb Vortex 180!!!
02-19-03 05:47 PM
egon don't play guitar, but found this by accident;

http://www.rockmagic.net/guitar-tabs/rolling-stones/

02-19-03 07:37 PM
FTELE52 Two basic sound categories

1) Les Paul or other humbucker equiped guitar will give you darke/fatter clean tone, but more sustain and punch when playing with distortion.

2) Fender Tele or Strat single coil pickups, cleaner, brighter sound more note articulation even with distortion. Tele's are great for open tunings ala Keef as they have a fixed bridge as opposed to tuning down with a tremolo equipped strats. Strats have more versatility in sound but it really depends on what you're after. I personally prefer teles.

Depending on your price range, many to chose from. I'd recommend buying a used American made guitar over a new import model. The quality of hardware (tuners, bridge) and pickups will be higher as generally will be the fret work. If buying online via Ebay ask alot of questions before buying. Good luck.
02-20-03 12:17 AM
sammy davis jr. Don't buy a guitar on E-Bay!! Find one of the aforementioned axes, in a store if you have to- and play it first. If it feels right,sounds cool to you, and you can afford it
-buy it. I'd never buy a guitar without playing it first.
02-20-03 05:05 AM
gypsymofo60 It's all very well to talk about Tele's, and Les Pauls, but if I'm not mistaken the guy said he was a beginner. You don't go buying an XJS Jag. until you can drive at 70mph in traffic. Get my drift?....Epys are a fine guitar to get tooned.
02-21-03 03:09 AM
woodywoodpecker if you want my advise even Mr keith R's advise,
get yourself a nice accoustic guitar to begin with, perhaps a Martin or something. If you are set on electric guitar dont go on looks alone, play dozens of guitars before you make your choice. If you end up with something that long time players call crap, so be it.Its how it feels in your hand the comfort and easiness to your playing is most important believe me. Stay well clear of distortion until you are becoming quite confident otherwise you will end up sounding like f%$#$n GREEN DAY!

Cheers Woody
02-21-03 07:28 PM
ladyjjane Danelectro 59-DC
02-21-03 08:03 PM
keefa Thanks to everyone who responded, you really helped me out. I think ive narrowed it down to either an epiphone or telecaster(maybe stratocaster? I have gotten very mixed opinions regarding the tele vs. strat). I just got back from a pawn shop that had a epiphone standard ebony for $300 but it was pretty beat up so ill wait a bit longer.

I have an acoustic and I prefer to play on acoustic but I think I need try something else. I have only been playing a few months and I play when i'm not busy (which recently isnt very often). Id love to hear more opinions from you guys!

keefa

P.S. I have started the book The Master and Margarita (the book which inspired the song Sympathy for the Devil) and it is really interesting you guys should check it out. It is, however a bit deep and ive found myself looking up innumerable references to understand it more.
02-22-03 03:23 PM
sonicrock vox phantom
02-23-03 07:03 PM
Vinyl kills Keefa, check this link. It is extremely helpful for guitar newbies and also had great beginner lessons.

IMO Ephipones are great to start with. Cheap, durable, very nice sound and great customer service. Their SG model kicks ass.

http://guitar.about.com/library/blbeginnerguitardirectory.htm?PM=ss11_guitar

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST