ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

©
Madafaka Click the image to enlarge it
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dean Martin Capitol Records Catalog to be Reissued Return to archive
February 20th, 2006 12:10 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Dean Martin Capitol Records Catalog to be Reissued
Jazz News
Feb 19,2006

Rat Pack fans rejoice: renowned reissue label Collectors Choice Music will re-release the nine albums Dean Martin recorded for Capitol Records between 1953 and 1962, as well as the compilations of various non-LP singles that Capitol released in the mid '60s. Each album will be released separately (with the exception of four compilations the label released on the Tower imprint, which are paired on two CDs). Each single album reissue will include bonus tracks.

Martin, whose 10-year partnership with Jerry Lewis, subsequent Rat-Pack years and boozy TV persona all but overshadowed his recording career, produced a long discography that showcases both his warmth and his cool, the swingin' and the laid-back. Any of these Capitol releases would be the life of any party.

In the series, all to be released March 14, 2006:
• Martin's first effort, Dean Martin Sings (1953), which includes 'That's Amore' along with songs from the Martin & Lewis film The Stooge. Among the bonus tracks is the B-side to 'That's Amore,' 'You're the Right One.'
• Swingin' Down Yonder (1955), featuring such Southern-themed tunes as 'Waiting for the Robert E. Lee,' 'When It's Sleepy Time Down South' and 'Way Down Yonder in New Orleans.'
• Pretty Baby (1957), Martin's first release after his breakup with Jerry Lewis; he may have lost his partner but he found his voice - relaxed and confident - on this third Capitol recording.
• This Is Dean Martin! (1958), originally released as part of Capitol's 'Star Line' series of compilations of non-LP singles, includes 'Volare,' 'Buena Sera' and 'Return To Me.'
• Sleep Warm (1958), Dino's first stereo release; another 'concept' record, this time with romantic renderings of dreamy tunes such as 'Cuddle Up a Little Closer,' 'Dream' and 'Hit the Road to Dreamland.' Lush orchestration conducted by Frank Sinatra.
• A Winter Romance (1959), featuring Christmas classics 'Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let it Snow,' 'White Christmas,' 'Winter Wonderland' and even 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer,' along with ultimate romantic cold-weather tunes 'I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm' and 'Baby, It's Cold Outside.'
• This Time I'm Swingin' (1960), with orchestra conducted, fittingly, by that swingin'est of arrangers, Nelson Riddle; includes 'Just in Time,' 'I Can't Believe That You're in Love With Me' and 'You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You,' plus early, rare singles as bonus tracks.
• Dino! Italian Love Songs (1962), Dino's biggest seller for Capitol, which was released just after he left the label for pal Sinatra's Reprise; here are 'Vieni Su,' 'Arrivederci Roma' and 'Take Me in Your Arms' ('Torna a Surriento').
• Cha Cha De Amor (1962), an Afro-Cuban-Latin collection conducted by Nelson Riddle; Dino's swan song at Capitol. Among the bonus tracks is an earlier version of 'Vieni Su' than the one on Italian Love Songs.
• Hey, Brother, Pour the Wine (1964) Capitol capitalized on Martin's success at Reprise by releasing this combination of hits and B-sides. Includes 'Memories Are Made of This,' 'Standing on the Corner' and 'Just in Time'; bonus tracks highlight duets with the likes of Peggy Lee, Margaret Whiting and, natch, Jerry Lewis.
• The Lush Years (1965)/Relaxin' (1966) (one-CD reissue). With Dino now at Reprise, Capitol released these collections of '50s and '60s singles and previously unreleased tracks, including 'Rio Bravo,' from the 1959 film by the same name that featured Martin in one of his many acting roles.
• Happy in Love (1966)/Dino-Like Never Before (1967) (one-CD reissue) 'Love' is in the title of the singles, EP tracks and unreleased side on Happy in Love. Singles from '50-'54 are collected on Never Before.

'Dean Martin's albums for Capitol are among the most timeless vocal pop ever recorded,' said Gordon Anderson, Sr.VP/GM of Collectors' Choice Music. 'He was a great singer, with a unique, behind-the-beat laconic style that perfectly fit his devil-may-care personality, and made very astute choices as to material and arrangers. And perhaps best of all, he never took himself too seriously, either on record or In life! We're thrilled that he's a big part of our artist roster.'
February 20th, 2006 12:18 PM
lovelymocca Why do you post non-stones stuff here?
February 20th, 2006 12:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
lovelymocca wrote:
Why do you post non-stones stuff here?

Well...because Stones fans tend to be multi-dimensional.
February 20th, 2006 12:27 PM
nanatod Apparently, in March, 1964, the Rolling Stones appeared on a TV show called "Hollywood Palace," which was hosted by Dean Martin.

There's your link.
February 20th, 2006 12:32 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nanatod wrote:
Apparently, in March, 1964, the Rolling Stones appeared on a TV show called "Hollywood Palace," which was hosted by Dean Martin.

There's your link.

LOL. Yeah I forgot about that.
February 20th, 2006 01:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
lovelymocca wrote:
Why do you post non-stones stuff here?

You post something then, posting ain't no spectator sport. Or it shouldn't be.
February 20th, 2006 01:27 PM
The Wick Sorry TTM, but Deano was a prick, fuck him. I never liked that crooning shit and he was a royal dickhead on that show the Stones were on. The greatest story about that is Bill Wyman. On a radio interview with the BBC's Danny Baker, he was asked something to the effect of, what did it feel like? He said, and I don't remember exactly, but words to this effect: It pissed us off a little bit, but we got him back so it's fine. Danny Baker then said, what with how successful you were and all the hits proved him wrong. And Wyman said, "No, Brian bonked his daughter." Absolute classic, and what a way to get him back.
February 20th, 2006 01:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
The Wick wrote:
Sorry TTM, but Deano was a prick, fuck him. I never liked that crooning shit and he was a royal dickhead on that show the Stones were on. The greatest story about that is Bill Wyman. On a radio interview with the BBC's Danny Baker, he was asked something to the effect of, what did it feel like? He said, and I don't remember exactly, but words to this effect: It pissed us off a little bit, but we got him back so it's fine. Danny Baker then said, what with how successful you were and all the hits proved him wrong. And Wyman said, "No, Brian bonked his daughter." Absolute classic, and what a way to get him back.

Well, all the bios that I ever read about him painted him in a pretty good light as far as I was concerned. As far as this incident I don't see where it's either here or there. So he got a few laughs at the Stones expense. That's all it amounts to really. I think Dean was basically a good man....and understood cool before cool was cool.
February 20th, 2006 01:49 PM
Ten Thousand Motels

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
February 20th, 2006 03:12 PM
PeerQueer Dino was the man.
February 20th, 2006 03:17 PM
jb Dean Martin was handsome man, and his son even better looking. Sadly, his son was killed piloting a plane . Dean , understandably, never overcame his grief, and died a very sad man.
February 20th, 2006 04:35 PM
sirmoonie Dean Martin was a great drinker. Fantastic drinker, just fantastic, had all the drinking moves cold - they came natural to him.
February 20th, 2006 04:58 PM
Nellcote "When the moon hits the sky like a big pizza pie, that's Amore!
When the stars make you drool just like pasta fazool, that's Amore!"
[Edited by Nellcote]
February 20th, 2006 07:35 PM
GotToRollMe Dean Martin was cool before it was cool to be cool.

And lest we forget this quote from Richard Hell:
"Johnny Thunders is the Dean Martin of heroin."
[Edited by GotToRollMe]
February 20th, 2006 09:31 PM
glencar One bad act on his part shouldn't define his life. Plus Brian probably had fun...
February 20th, 2006 09:34 PM
MrPleasant Now I know what I really really don't want for christmas.
February 20th, 2006 09:42 PM
pdog
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Well...because Stones fans tend to be multi-dimensional.

Some even are multi personality...

Music news should always be appreciated, especially when it's the stuff you never heard of or even knew about. In some people it creates an expanded mind and broadened horrizons. In the case of idiots, it helps us point them out.
Keep up the good work TTM's, you just sold some Dino CD's...
February 20th, 2006 10:15 PM
MrPleasant

WOLTZ: "Johnny Fontane never gets that movie! That part is perfect for him, it'll make him a big star, and I'm gonna run him out of the business, and let me tell you why. Johnny Fontane ruined one of Woltz International's most valuable proteges. For five years we had her under training. Singing lessons, acting lessons, dancing lessons. I spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on her, I was gonna make her a big star! And let me be even more frank, just to show you that I'm not a hard-hearted man, and that it's not all dollars and cents. She was beautiful! She was young! She was innocent! She was the greatest piece of ass I've ever had, and I've had 'em all over the world! And then Johnny Fontane comes along with his olive oil voice and guinea charm, and she runs off. She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous! And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous!"

I know that JF REALLY relates to Sinatra, but whatever; I just love the scene where Brando bitchslaps him. Backflash to...

JOHNNY FONTANE: Oh godfather, I don't know what to do. I don't know what to do.
DON CORLEONE: You can act like a man! (slaps Johnny) What's the matter with you? Is this how you turned out? A Hollywood pinocchio that, ah, cries like a woman? (imitates Johnny) "What can I do?! What can I do?!" What is that nonsense? Ridiculous. (pause) You spend time with your family?
JOHNNY FONTANE: Sure I do.
DON CORLEONE: Good. 'Cause a man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.

And John Marley --Woltz-- was terrific, too. He deserved a spinoff or something. As a matter of fact every character in that movie did, except, of course: JOHNNY FONTANE.
[Edited by MrPleasant]
February 20th, 2006 10:23 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
jb wrote:
Dean Martin was handsome man, and his son even better looking. Sadly, his son was killed piloting a plane . Dean , understandably, never overcame his grief, and died a very sad man.

_____

Yes - his son crashed a fighter jet into the same mountain that claimed the life of Sinatra's mother...

Dino, though already becoming more reclusive, withdrew big time after the loss of his son. As he famously said to a good friend who stopped by to see him at his table one night, "Pally, I'm just waiting to die..."

February 20th, 2006 10:31 PM
MrPleasant RICHARD FORST (JOHN MARLEY)- Anyone inside?
- Not yet, sir.

- Good morning, Mr. Forst.
- Good morning, Mr. Forst.

Good morning, Mr. Forst.

- I have some correspondence
and some papers for you to sign.
RF - Don't bother me with that stuff.

- Would you like some coffee?
RF - No. You look lousy.
- You're not in a good mood?

- Anything I can do for you?
RF- I'll give you a list of my maladies. You better give me a cup of coffee. I don't want to yawn in Mrs. Miniver's face.

- Yes, sir.
RF - Hmm?

[No Audible Dialogue]

- Here you are.
RF - Will you take this thing out of my mouth?

- Okay.
RF - Thanks.

- Good morning.
- [All] Good morning, Miss Whiteford.

RF - Hello, Nita. How'd they get you out of bed?

Aw, shut up.

Harry. Oh, you know Harry Selfrine.

RF - Do I know Harry Selfrine? Do I know Harry.

Good morning.

- Jim Mortensen.
- [Whiteford] Nice boy.

Kazmier, Edward.

Do you know Richard Forst, our manager?

Hello, darling. Lang. L-A-N-G.
How are you, dear?
[Kisses Hand]

- Good morning, Mr. Draper.
- [Whiteford] All right.

When I was a kid,
we used to play a game called...

"Your mother wears army shoes."

I'm not your mother.
Sit down.

RF - [Laughing]
- Do you know Frederick P. Draper?

Thank you, Emily Dickinson.

- Here you are.
- Thank you very much.

Thank you.

What are you gonna
sell us this time, Harry?

Money.

- Actually, it's a very good film.
- We call it the, uh...

Dolce vita
of the commercial field.

RF - Is that so?
- I don't mean to insinuate it's a crude film.

We were trying to capture
several approaches.

- What Jim means is that we really...
- No, no. That's not what I mean at all.

We were talking facts and figures
until we practically went out of our minds.

Losses, gains, ratings, schmatings.

You can lose your mind
if you keep analyzing things like that.

Then we came up with
an impressionistic document that shocks.

RF - Is that so?
- I don't think it so much shocks as it's honest.

It's honest,
but it's a good piece in itself.

So, you see, we're a... a little nervous
about hitting you with this.

Oh, now, they've got nothing
to be nervous about.

It's a shot in the dark,
but it's strong and it's attractive.

RF - It better be better than the last one, Harry. I think I'll loan you my sleeping pills. You know, I have insomnia... and I stay awake all night looking at pictures,
worrying about pictures. I walk all over the place.

- Let's see it, J.P.
- I'd rather hear 'em talk about it again.

- [Man] We'll talk about it later.
RF - J.P.

All right, Arnold. Roll it.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)