ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

©
Madafaka Click the image to enlarge it
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones rock 2 million people in one night!!!!!! Return to archive
February 19th, 2006 02:04 AM
Poison Dart To put that in perspective the Stones played to more people in one night than U2 played to in their entire tour.

I bet the worldwide sales of ABB will pick up a bit after this. They are getting a ton of pr around the globe.
February 19th, 2006 05:32 AM
corgi37 On all the news tonight. JJF & IORR played over voice over describing the event.

Not bad for a bunch of old Aussie hating geezers.
February 19th, 2006 12:00 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
I bet the worldwide sales of ABB will pick up a bit after this. They are getting a ton of pr around the globe.

I bet the worldwide sales of Jump Back/40 Licks will pick up a bit after this.
February 19th, 2006 02:04 PM
PeerQueer Brilliant evening that, as stated, is receiving very positive press around the globe.

Keith was particularly strong this evening. He seems to thrive in those warmer climates...

The sound quality was superb- the guitars were front and center on most tunes.

Looking forward to Europe!
February 19th, 2006 02:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
To put that in perspective the Stones played to more people in one night than U2 played to in their entire tour.

I dont think thats the case, to be honest - plus as it was a free show, the attendance isnt THAT significant if someone is (for some reason) trying to compare both acts
February 19th, 2006 03:54 PM
Poison Dart Gazza:

Your right. It just sounded good to say.
February 19th, 2006 03:57 PM
Gazza LOL

It does, doesnt it?

It looks good to read as well!
February 20th, 2006 01:12 AM
Promo The Stones played to more people last night than
can be believed. But I'd rather be at a show where they play for 500, only got one of those.
I woulda got crushed by half of em, last night.
At least...
[Edited by Promo]
February 20th, 2006 01:32 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I bet the worldwide sales of Jump Back/40 Licks will pick up a bit after this.

sadly, "Rarities" will see zero bump in sales
February 20th, 2006 05:02 AM
Gazza Good. Its so shoddily packaged, it doesnt deserve any!
February 20th, 2006 06:54 AM
Break The Spell Incredible turnout!! Is this a new record for the most people a band has ever played in front of? I'm not talking about a festival with many bands, but just the amount of people one band has drawn.
February 20th, 2006 10:44 AM
gustavobala the official number was 1,2 to 1,3 million

not more...

well, is a good public, no?
February 20th, 2006 10:47 AM
gimmekeef The attendance for Rod Stewart is inaccurate and some have said he was just a sideline to the New Years party not the main attraction as were the Stones.With masses of people I doubt anyone will be able to state the real totals.Thats how legends grow....Think the important thing is they nailed it and the crowd was not violent.This show had risks and the boys rose to the occasion.....
February 20th, 2006 11:06 AM
voodoopug
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
the official number was 1,2 to 1,3 million

not more...

well, is a good public, no?

the number keeps going down...we have been humiliated by Rod Stewart. HOw can he draw triple the fans....perhaps Rio is no longer a stones town. They did draw 1.2 million (WHO WERE NOT CHARGED!!!! AND CANNOT COUNT TOWARDS TOUR ATTENDANCE OR REVENUE!!!!), but this pales in comparison to Rio's favorite oldies act...Rod Stewart!
February 20th, 2006 11:09 AM
jb The real #'s keep spiraling downward...my sources indicate final toll will be 812, 733...very respectable, but keep in mind, a free beach party and far less than the esitmated 1.5-2Mil(and appreciably less than Guiness book record holder Rod "the bod" Stewart at 3.5 Mil).
February 20th, 2006 11:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Who really gives a fuck about numbers??? If only ten people had turned out it wouldn't change anything of value.
February 20th, 2006 11:20 AM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Who really gives a fuck about numbers??? If only ten people had turned out it wouldn't change anything of value.

Oh yes, my friend, oh yes..........you know very well it's a #'s game !!! 800k plus is great!!! But lets remember, a free-bee and that hurtds tour gross. Hopefully, it will help sales in Europe/Asia which are dismal as well as move ABB over Gold in USA!!!!
February 20th, 2006 11:27 AM
voodoopug
quote:
jb wrote:

Oh yes, my friend, oh yes..........you know very well it's a #'s game !!! 800k plus is great!!! But lets remember, a free-bee and that hurtds tour gross. Hopefully, it will help sales in Europe/Asia which are dismal as well as move ABB over Gold in USA!!!!

ABB is too good of a release to not go gold, especialy compared to the other crap out there going gold.

A good portion of our (jb and I) loyalty is based on numbers...we demand, and frankly expect to finish at the top of the list with regards to gross revenue!
Ten Thousand Motels 1000 years from now the only thing that will really matter is the quality of the recordings.

Btw JB how's baby Heather? You are one lucky man.
gimmekeef The Stewart numbers are bs....Was posted elsewhere he was not the main attraction during New Years..just played somewhere on the beach and many didnt even know he was there.By the number of speaker towers out in the crowd (at least twice those of Toronto's Sarstock)...Its safe to say the number was over a million...how much more will just be wild guessing....
February 20th, 2006 11:30 AM
jb
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
1000 years from now the only thing that will really matter is the quality of the recordings.

Btw JB how's baby Heather? You are one lucky man.

She's my little rock and roll!!! A real daddy'd girl and my darling!!! Thanks for asking!!!
February 20th, 2006 11:35 AM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
The real #'s keep spiraling downward...my sources indicate final toll will be 812, 733...very respectable, but keep in mind, a free beach party and far less than the esitmated 1.5-2Mil(and appreciably less than Guiness book record holder Rod "the bod" Stewart at 3.5 Mil).

WHO estimated 1.5 - 2 million? Bottom line is no one had a clue. It wasnt a ticketed or paid event.

The notion that Rod Stewart could outdraw the Stones anywhere apart from a show in his own back garden in front of his extended family is nonsensical.

Josh, if you were bottle-feeding your new daughter on a stage on the Copacabana on New years Eve, you could probably claim to have attracted over 3 million people to the event - even though the vast majority of them would have been elsewhere on the huge stretch of sand engaging in various forms of hedonistic depravity and totally oblivious to what you were doing.

You might attract a few more thousand curious onlookers if you were breast-feeding however

[Edited by Gazza]
February 20th, 2006 11:41 AM
gimmekeef jb..I have been away..didnt see that you had a baby girl..Congrats and hope all is well!
February 20th, 2006 12:17 PM
nanatod "Who really gives a fuck about numbers??? If only ten people had turned out it wouldn't change anything of value."

Amen, Ten Thousand Motels.

The late bluesman, Brownie McGhee, once played to one person at a nightclub. I'll bet his set was more rocking than Rod Stewart's beach show.
February 20th, 2006 12:23 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:

WHO estimated 1.5 - 2 million? Bottom line is no one had a clue. It wasnt a ticketed or paid event.

The notion that Rod Stewart could outdraw the Stones anywhere apart from a show in his own back garden in front of his extended family is nonsensical.

Josh, if you were bottle-feeding your new daughter on a stage on the Copacabana on New years Eve, you could probably claim to have attracted over 3 million people to the event - even though the vast majority of them would have been elsewhere on the huge stretch of sand engaging in various forms of hedonistic depravity and totally oblivious to what you were doing.

You might attract a few more thousand curious onlookers if you were breast-feeding however

[Edited by Gazza]

Where is Fiji when you need him.........Got Milk?
February 20th, 2006 12:23 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
jb..I have been away..didnt see that you had a baby girl..Congrats and hope all is well!

Thank you.....please still feel free to attack me when warranted
[Edited by jb]
February 20th, 2006 12:24 PM
gustavobala calm down fellas....

no one study mathematics here?

someone knows bout basis x high??

February 20th, 2006 12:25 PM
jb
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
calm down fellas....

no one study mathematics here?

someone knows bout basis x high??

Bottom line for me, great publicity, great crowd, positive reviews unlike USA futbol event, and perhaps a boost for Euro/Asia/Scandanavian sales. Also a bump for ABB. Also, the Stones are going out on top......The #'s are just my thing...I can't help it.
February 20th, 2006 12:30 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
jb wrote:

Thank you.....please still feel free to attack me when warranted
[Edited by jb]

And vice versa...I enjoy the banter!
February 20th, 2006 12:42 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:

Bottom line for me, great publicity, great crowd, positive reviews unlike USA futbol event, and perhaps a boost for Euro/Asia/Scandanavian sales. Also a bump for ABB. Also, the Stones are going out on top......The #'s are just my thing...I can't help it.

A television broadcast in Europe and Asia would have helped sales of both the album and tickets. I doubt a webcast would have made much difference to be honest

Otherwise, spot on assessment
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)